1977 StarCraft 18' SS restore

Decker83

Commander
Great job Dek, did you wear rubber gloves or just deal with 5200 all over your hands:rolleyes:. Hope your bad weather ends soon, I've seen a little of it on the tube.
Didn't use the gloves, but did keep a rag soaked with mineral spirits with me at all times..

Lets hope you don't have a repeat of what happened to my Chief when we had a rare weather event here in E WA State that took my chief and the trailer for a little ride. :eek:

Man that outside of the transom looks like a battleship with all those rivets! :thumb:
I read about your mishap back when it happen..I bet your heart sunk when you saw it..
So for I've been lucky.. No bad winds here..
That was alot of rivets to put in..

That looks great Decker!! Nice job!
Thanks hayko,, Hope it does the job I intend it to do..

Decker83

Commander
Not much to show on the SS.. Been raining here for 3 weeks.. Spend more time cutting wet grass than boat work..:eek:

Hoping to get a couple of days this holiday weekend on the boat..

Have a question about the drain hole for the transom.. I don't like the one from the factory..
I want to put one in the center of the transom at the lowest point I can..
What are my options on drain plugs I can use?
I can get the Moeller drain plug here on i-boats but not sure witch moeller tool to buy..
Any ideals will be welcome..
Thanks Kent..

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
Tried to do some work today in between the rain..
Drilled a 1" hole in the transom for new drain tube..
Removed the rubber rub rail and then the rail.. Removed the gunwales and the wood support for the bow..
Removed the remaining carpet and scraped down all the rubber backing left behind..
Didn't do all of this today..
Hope to remove the glue this weekend if the rain lets up..

There are a lot of unhappy people here this weekend.. Nearly all the lakes or closed do to high water.. Everyone is being warned to stay out of the lakes..
Even if you could get to a boat ramp, the weather is to bad to go out in..

Here are some pics for today..

100_3333.jpg

100_3334.jpg

Hope everyone is safe and has a great Memorial Day..
Remembering all the people that has served our country to make it what it is today.. Thank you!!

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'm not sure I understand the question about which drain plugs you can use?

jbcurt00

Staff member
nothing as far as I can tell. data entry error maybe.... same part #

buy the cheaper one

FYI: For tin boats, I'd recommend buying the tin boat specific drain tubes, it includes 2 rings and o-rings to use w/ the tube thru the thin transom aluminum skin, since it wont be thru the plywood transom

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
Thanks jbcurt00..
I was looking at the tin boat specific one..
Didn't order it because of the confusion on the tool. Will order them now..
Thanks again..

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Just ran through your resto
Man I hand it to you for tackeling this when it had the evil WLOD on her.
Beautiful job of closing that transom up and cutting the MERC hole

jbcurt00

Staff member
Well, look who's back.............

Your welcome, and it's been 3 or 4 years...... It's John ;)
:watermelon:

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
The rain makes your grass nice and green! Sux for building boats though but it can't rain every day

Decker83

Commander
Just ran through your resto
Man I hand it to you for tackeling this when it had the evil WLOD on her.
Beautiful job of closing that transom up and cutting the MERC hole

Thanks CheapboatKev.. Have a brother named Kevin..:D
When I bought the boat I had ideals of making it a OB.. The more I thought about it I decided to go with the I/O Merc..
Oh!! Welcome aboard..

The rain makes your grass nice and green! Sux for building boats though but it can't rain every day

It has been raining for 3 weeks here.. Oklahoma is washing down to Texas..:eek:

Had about 3" last night and my neighbor has water coming into her house.. The weatherman is saying rain in the forecast for all next week..:mad-new:
Lots of floods going on..
Good thing is all the lakes or full..

Decker83

Commander
Had rain today so not much boat work..
Did take the Admiral to the store and loaded up on some good baby back ribs for tomorrow..:D
Made it over to HD and bought some Klean Strip Adhesive remover..
Worked really well for me.. The direction said to spread it on and put plastic over it.. Tried it with and without the plastic.. Didn't seam to make much of a difference..
I spread a heavy coat and waited about 10 minutes and scraped it off with a plastic putty knife.. Put a second coat on and waited 5 minutes and scraped off the rest of it.. Used a very small stainless brush and scrubbed it all down and then washed it with dish soap and water..
If I would have waited the 15 to 30 minutes it may have taken off all the glue at one time..
With all the rain I only worked about 1 1/2 hours today..
Here are some more boring pics..

100_3336.jpg

In this pic I did use a ss wire wheel on some of the corrosion at the top..

100_3339.jpg

100_3337.jpg

Have a great Memorial Day..

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Wow I can't believe how much rain you guys are getting down there, might have to finish your boat quick. Glue residue is a pain in the A@# to get off.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The gluing of carpet or other material to the AL always seems cause some corrosion too as water will always gets in behind it and sit there. Removing adhesive is a huge PITA.

Just noticed how they made the hull stiffener at the rib ends on your SS, very interesting not sure I've seen that before.

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
its looking nice and clean! Enjoy your holiday!
Thanks hayko1971..

Wow I can't believe how much rain you guys are getting down there, might have to finish your boat quick. Glue residue is a pain in the A@# to get off.
The rain just doesn't want to stop. Floods all over Oklahoma and Texas in the news today..

The gluing of carpet or other material to the AL always seems cause some corrosion too as water will always gets in behind it and sit there. Removing adhesive is a huge PITA.

Just noticed how they made the hull stiffener at the rib ends on your SS, very interesting not sure I've seen that before.

I was thinking the same thing about the corrosion.. I will hit it with the grinder and a ss wire wheel..
I have read a lot of threads about the rib ends cracking the hull.. I was worried about mine until I saw how it was made.. Grandad put in a stiffener similar to what mine has..
I haven't seen another one on here that has that stiffener..

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
Went out this morning and started cleaning off the glue.. The Klean Strip works great.. Paint it on and wait and it comes off like butter..
What I really like is it cleans up with water..
One thing you don't want to do is get it on you.. If does burn..:madgrin:
Only worked about 2 hours today and then the rain came..:mad-new:

Hope everyone has a glories week..

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I have read a lot of threads about the rib ends cracking the hull.. I was worried about mine until I saw how it was made.. Grandad put in a stiffener similar to what mine has..
I haven't seen another one on here that has that stiffener..

The glaring difference with all the others I've seen with factory hull stiffeners is they're IOs are merc and the others are OBs while your SS was an OMC IO.

Decker83

Commander
It didn't rain today so I got busy on the glue clean up.. The sun came out in full force with high humidity.. Got in the 80s today.. Had to break down
and get a popup tent.. The sun was getting the hull to hot to use the remover..
I received my Moeller drain fittings and the Moeller flange tool..

Do any of you gentlemen use sealer with the drain fitting?

It was getting dark when I took these pics..

100_3350.jpg

100_3349.jpg

At first I was not going to buy the flange tool, but my Deck Boat has 5 thru hull fittings.. Thought it was worth it to buy the tool..

100_3351.jpg

Have a great week ahead..

Last edited: