1977 StarCraft 18' SS restore

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
I hear 5200 is pretty permanent, 4200 is easier to remove if the time ever comes but seals just as well.
Nice job on the hole, and good score on the angle grinder, I use the heck out of my cheapo $28 one.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I did have 4 bolts in place and it looked ok.. Need to get inside the hull and check again tomorrow..

Do you put the super glue all the way around or just in a few places to hold it in place?

I was wondering about the 5200 on the transom.. I think Friscoboater did his that way..
Does the 5200 mess up the rubber seal?

I started at the top and just put a drop every where it was needed to hold the seal in place as I went around pressing it in the seal groove.

What I understand is that the 5200 isn't needed and the merc manual doesn't call for it either is probably why they say not to use it. Personally if the mating surface was pitted or had any kind of deviation from being perfectly flat I would use 5200 on the outer transom assembly with the seal.

Decker83

Commander
I hear 5200 is pretty permanent, 4200 is easier to remove if the time ever comes but seals just as well.
Nice job on the hole, and good score on the angle grinder, I use the heck out of my cheapo $28 one.
Thanks hayko1971.. I have read a few threads saying the same thing..
I have gone thru Dewalt and 2 HF and the one I was using is getting so hot I can't hold it..:facepalm: It was time for a new one..

I started at the top and just put a drop every where it was needed to hold the seal in place as I went around pressing it in the seal groove.

What I understand is that the 5200 isn't needed and the merc manual doesn't call for it either is probably why they say not to use it. Personally if the mating surface was pitted or had any kind of deviation from being perfectly flat I would use 5200 on the outer transom assembly with the seal.

Sounds like a plan to me.. I will try the supper glue out..
I will have to check and see how flat the transom is after I put in the backer plate.. So far the transom is looking good.. The plate should pull any
waves out..

Decker83

Commander
Not a lot new to tell.. I drilled about 70 holes and countersunk them in the backer plate.. I cut the bottom of the plate to fit the hull and put a hole in
the center to give me a place to clamp it in place.. Drill the holes through the transom.. Deburred all the holes..
Sunday the power went out again about 12:30 and didn't come back on untill 9:00 pm..:mad-new:
Been raining and stroming with tornados for the last three weeks.. Finally get two good days to work and no power.. Oh well, guess I need to find a big shed to work in..:)
Here's a pic of the backer plate..

100_3316.jpg

Hope everyone has a great week..

Last edited:

Watermann

Whoa, my jaw dropped when I saw that lovely monster chunk of AL you had the pleasure to caress, fondle and drill the the wholly living out of. :heh:

So the new tin goes on the inside of the old transom and whats the plan for the attachment?

Decker83

Commander
Whoa, my jaw dropped when I saw that lovely monster chunk of AL you had the pleasure to caress, fondle and drill the the wholly living out of. :heh:

So the new tin goes on the inside of the old transom and whats the plan for the attachment?

LOL Watermann..
I have the countersink rivets 3/16" by 9/16" to use.. Going to put 3m 5200 on the plate and transom and rivet the out of it..:D
Hope I can get the Admiral to hold the bucking bar.. Hee Hee.. Said she would but will see..

jbcurt00

Staff member
Hope ya got a good supply of clecos, looks like you could use 5 or 50......

EDIT: where are my manners :facepalm: Excellent fab work on the plate ;)

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Nice job on the tin, it's going to sound like a war going on for a couple hours at the Decker boat yard, when you get started. Funny my Admiral was out in the hanger on Sunday and I was showing here all the rivets she will have to buck in the V5:rolleyes:

Decker83

Commander
Hope ya got a good supply of clecos, looks like you could use 5 or 50......

EDIT: where are my manners :facepalm: Excellent fab work on the plate ;)
Sometimes I don't know where I am much less my manners..:lol:
Thanks jbc.. It took a little time and almost 1 jigsaw..:eek:

Nice job on the tin, it's going to sound like a war going on for a couple hours at the Decker boat yard, when you get started. Funny my Admiral was out in the hanger on Sunday and I was showing here all the rivets she will have to buck in the V5:rolleyes:

Thanks dozerll.. Hope my neighbors don't complain..
I bet she got real excited to see what you have in store for her..:laugh: Mine just gave me a little dirty look..:censored:

Decker83

Commander
Tried my hand at the rivets today.. Used a HF air hammer and cut the end off the chisel that came with it.. It was to small so I welded a piece of 1 1/4" round steel to it..

100_3324.jpg

100_3323.jpg

It worked better.. I need some more practice and make a few more adjustments for the air pressure..
Here is some pics..

100_3319.jpg

100_3321.jpg

Some look good, some don't..
Not sure if the Admiral will be able to do the bucking bar.. Going to get my son in law to help..

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Hey Decker,

I ordered the whole rivet set online so I had several different tips. I started with the one that looks like the one you made. I didnt do so well with that one. When I used the concave tip that fit the rivet head they started turning out alot better and was easier to keep the hammer centered on the rivet itself. Hope this helps some. Keep the updates coming!

I also used an axe head, and hammers as my bucking bars for a lot of the rivets. But then I found a polished steel like master lock that was square and flat on all sides and that ended up working the best for me.

Watermann

The set up I use with my air hammer is a 3/16" brazier head rivet set and a bucking bar. Here's an animation I found.

bucking-bar-animation-v3.gif

Decker83

Commander
Thanks guys..
The rivets I am using have a countersunk head.. They are flat on the surface.. That's why I made the tool..
Will probably buy one on line to use.. I have a 3"x 2" x 4" bucking bar.. It works well.. I think I need to get the air pressure
right and it will be fine.. A couple of the rivets heads are damaged because the chisel I started with was to small and it jumped
off the head..
Here is a pic of the rivets I am using..

100_3325.jpg

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Ahhhh i forgot I think you mentioned counter sunk rivets. In that case I would use the one you made. It looks nearly factory made in the picture. Or shoot me a pm and maybe I can send you my flat one to use. I dont forsee myself needing to use it anytime soon.

Decker83

Commander
I was able to get the air hammer adjusted with a adjustable pressure gauge and did a better job..:happy: I attached it the the inlet fitting..
Called my son in law over this morning and started to put the backer plate in place.. Used acetone to clean the transom and the plate..
Took 2 tubes of 3m 5200 and spread a good cover coat on the transom and plate.. Used a 1/16" notched trowel..
Put in all but the last 4 revits and it started to rain.. Finished it the last 4 and wiped it down with mineral spirits to clean up the mess..
There or a few rain drops on the inside plate..
Here are some pics for today..

100_3332.jpg

100_3326.jpg

100_3328.jpg

100_3329.jpg

Going to let the 5200 setup for a week and then finish cutting out the key hole.. Going to clean up the rest of the hull and get it ready for paint..
Hope everyone survived all the bad weather..

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Looks great.

5200 actually cures in water, so a little rain wont hurt....

Hear you all lost 1 in Texas from todays tornado, bummer, but its definitely a case of fewer is better then more...

Stay safe Texas....

Decker83

Commander
Thanks jbc.. Didn't think the 5200 would be bothered by the rain.. Just wasn't sure about the SIL..:lol:
Definitely less is better.. Be glad when all this bad weather is gone..

dozerII

Admiral
Great job Dek, did you wear rubber gloves or just deal with 5200 all over your hands:rolleyes:. Hope your bad weather ends soon, I've seen a little of it on the tube.

Watermann

Lets hope you don't have a repeat of what happened to my Chief when we had a rare weather event here in E WA State that took my chief and the trailer for a little ride. :eek:

Man that outside of the transom looks like a battleship with all those rivets! :thumb: