1977 StarCraft 18' SS restore

Decker83

Commander
A good flip, Deck. Are you polishing the entire hull?
Thanks GA_Boater
Going to paint the bottom of the hull and transom and try to polish the sides..
If it doesn't work out, I paint the whole thing..:D

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Always liking your updates decker! It will be nice to see that polished beauty once complete. But if its paint the fish wont mind much :usa2:

dozerII

Admiral
Looking good Dec, polishing easy compared to painting no way you can get runs, sags or orange peel :D

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Looking good Dec, polishing easy compared to painting no way you can get runs, sags or orange peel :D

Lol I found the opposite to be true, I had a hard time with smearing compound and black greasy streaks. But some aluminum cleaner dealt with that.
lookin real good Decker!

Decker83

Commander
Always liking your updates decker! It will be nice to see that polished beauty once complete. But if its paint the fish wont mind much :usa2:
Thanks g0nef1sshn.. Don't think the fish will mind, but the Admiral might after talking her into letting me buy the polishing kit..:laugh:

Glad you stopped by dozerll.. Never tried to polish one before.. Hope I can do half as good as you did..
I grew up using spray guns so I think I can paint this hull..:pound: Maybe not..

.Lol I found the opposite to be true, I had a hard time with smearing compound and black greasy streaks. But some aluminum cleaner dealt with that.
lookin real good Decker!

That's what I'm afraid will happen to me.. But I just gotta try my hand at it.. May look back at what you did on yours to see what you used..

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
Had a good Friday afternoon and good day today.. Sold the OMC sterndrive Friday and the 140hp motor today.. The Admiral was happy when I gave her
the money.. I guess I'm out of the dog house for a day or two..:D
Did some stripping today and have 1 half done and a good bit on the other half..
Got really tired of using the SS brush to clean up the last bit of paint so I used the buffer on the low speed with the 4" SS cup brush.. Cut my time in half..
Here or the pics of the day..

100_3373.jpg

100_3374.jpg

Now for some questions about the dents I found.. Does anyone think I should try and remove some of them or just let them alone?
Here are some pics of the dents.. The deep ones or the ones I'm concerned with..
Pics of the dents..

100_3372.jpg

100_3370.jpg

Back at it tomorrow.. Hope everyone has a great Sunday..

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looking good Deck, I bet you're happy to be rid of the last reminders of that WLOD!

Nothing is what would do about those little dings on the bottom. Nobody will see them again after you roll her back upright. Well unless you run them over :heh:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I would leave them unless you plan on jumping rocks or stumps at high rates of speed.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
As long As none of those dents are deep/sharp enough that they have cracks in the hull skin, Im with the other guys...better off writing them off as character. Trying to bang them out may result in cracks. Filling them exposes you to possible corrosion issues if what you used to fill doesnt bond well to the aluminum.

She is still lookin' good...dents and all! :thumb: :lol:

dozerII

Admiral
Hey Dec, I put on some rubber gloves and use a green or purple 3M Scotch Brite pad dipped in paint stripper to clean around the rivets any left over paint and found it cleans up real easy.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey Deck I see your dings and raise you a dent! Imagine the force it took on that one between the rivets on a rib.:eek:

IMAG0886.jpg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Well I'm not gonna go against the grain on the dent fixin'! :rolleyes: Fixing them could cause more probs because the tin gets brittle from working it. Best to leave them alone and let the fishies talk amongst themselves, you won't hear what they say. :D

Decker83

Commander
Thanks for the comments gents.. I will leave the dents alone..

Finished the paint stripping last Friday.. Made a short list for some of the things I wanted to do this weekend..
Made some short saw horse's to rest the hull on.. Some touch up sanding on the transom were I used the JB Weld..
Put in the drain tube and flipped the boat..
Murphy showed up on the drain plug.. I was lucky I bought two of them.. The first one I tried to put in didn't turn the lip out..
Instead it pushed the tube back and rolled over the outside lip.. I just grabbed it and it came off the transom..
I did like the instructions said and put both the curved flanges of the tool facing each other.. The second one I turned the flat side of the flange tool
to the already formed lip of the tube and put the curved flange on the other side and it did the job.. Worked very well that way..

Went to do the leak test and started filling up the hull.. I only found three leaking rivets on the bottom and five on the sides where the hull stiffiner
is riveted to the hull.. Just need to rebuck them..
Good ole Murphy showed up again.. Went to turn the water off and found the faucet was leaking inside the wall and got the house all wet..
Will be tearing out brick and replacing this tomorrow night..

Seams like I worked 2 full days in the 99 deg heat and looks like I only did about 4 hours work.. I must be really slowing down..:facepalm:
Going to get some Gluvit this week and have a order of some rivets coming on Monday..

Here or some pics..

100_3375.jpg

100_3376.jpg

100_3377.jpg

Hope everyone has a fast and prosperous week..

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Looking good Decker, I was surprised with the 90 degree heat we didn't see you sitting in your S/C swimming pool drinking a beer to cool down.:D

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looking like good progress Decker ! Thats a mighty shiny bathtub ya got there ... :rolleyes:
Hey where is the deck boat ? :suspicious:

Decker83

Commander
Excellent progress despite ole' Murphy and the heat.
I really hate ole Murphy and the heat didn't help.. Didn't feel like I did very much.. I'll just keep plugging at it..:happy:

Looking good Decker, I was surprised with the 90 degree heat we didn't see you sitting in your S/C swimming pool drinking a beer to cool down.:D
I tell you what dozerll I stood around about an hour thinking about jumping in.. Sure would of cooled me off after Murphy showed his ugly face..

Looking like good progress Decker ! Thats a mighty shiny bathtub ya got there ... :rolleyes:
Hey where is the deck boat ? :suspicious:
Hey Sam the deck boat is all wrapped up nice and safe..:D
Have not forgot about it.. Just need to get one of these boats on the water.. The Admiral likes the tin better, So you know what that means..:lol:

Decker83

Commander
Looks as if me and Murphy are becoming good friends.. Received my rivets and one order was wrong length.. May work??
Then took out my new HF Pneumatic air riveter and was trying to remove the base to put in the hydraulic oil.. That was a joke by itself.
Put the head in a vice and use the supplied wrench to remove the base. It was so tight that the head turned and the base never moved..
Taking it back tomorrow morning..
I did however fix the leaking pipe in the wall.. :facepalm:
Hope everyone has a better week than I am having..:frusty:

Last edited: