1977 StarCraft 18' SS restore

Decker83

Commander
Lookin good Decker! REAL Clean on that inside! Let me know when I can drop mine off at your place for a tune up :thumb:
Thanks g0nef1sshn.. Bring her on over.. I now have room since I sold the glasser..:lol:
Yup, looks nice and clean from here too!
Thanks hayko1971.. Just hope I can get mine to look half as good as yours..:rockon:
Looking good on the clean up Decker.

Man this stage of boat work is painstakingly slow, at least it was for me but once you get all the repairs behind you, watch out the rest goes quick.
I have hours on end grinding on my deck boat.. At least 200 +.. The only difference I can see is that I don't have to get all dressed up in the space suit
to keep all the itch off me.. This part is just as hard as glasser work..:D
I'm getting alittle excited now.. A few more hours and I'll be putting her back together..

Decker83

Commander
Did some stripping today.. Got one side almost stripped..
No pic.. But I'll get some up tomorrow..
I know everyone wants to see more bare aluminum..:bounce:

Have a great week..

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
paint stripping is just so tedious, but I found it quite rewarding to see it come off.

Decker83

Commander
Did some work thru the week..
Have one side almost done.. Can't get between the fender and boat..
Made a template for the SC swoosh on the sides.. Used some heavy plastic and taped it into place and used blue tape to outline the swoosh.
Will transfer the template to some thin sheet metal and then transfer back on the boat.. Hope it works..:topsy_turvy:

Here or some pics..

100_3358.jpg

100_3357.jpg

100_3359.jpg

More to come..:D

Last edited:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...aftt-ss/page16

Post 231

I stripped most of mine on home made floor dollies, But when I got the trailer, I turtled it on the trailer and put a tarp between the boat and trailer to keep the paint stripper in check. It ended up working out pretty nice! I made some supports to raise it above the fenders a little to make it fit. I just rolled the trailer next to the boat with the supports, flipped the boat over on it, and slid it up. Just an idea to help strip the sides and hull if your going that far.

The tarp filled with water during rinses so i just poked holes with a razor to drain it out as they formed. It was a cheap throw away one anyhow.

And bare aluminum is always nice! :laugh:

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey that double hockey stick SC logo is going to look great!

hayko1971

Starmada Splash of the Year 2015
Decker, it's looking fantastic!!

When I traced my swoosh, I used a rubbery plastic light cover, the kind that fits in to a 2x4 foot Florecsent light fixture. It was rigid enough to use as a template and flexible enough that it didn't shatter or crack at all... Very rubbery. I just traced the curved portion and measured the straight line portions. The lens cost me $11 or 12 at a big box hardware store.
It would save you having to transfer the pattern to another material.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
They're some great ideas for transferring the original "artwork"!

The 70's SC artists must have been sneaker-fans :lol:

Decker, you're rockin' the upside-down Puma... Hayko, I hate to tell ya, but you have the payless version buy-one / get-one Puma :p

Decker83

Commander
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...aftt-ss/page16

Post 231

I stripped most of mine on home made floor dollies, But when I got the trailer, I turtled it on the trailer and put a tarp between the boat and trailer to keep the paint stripper in check. It ended up working out pretty nice! I made some supports to raise it above the fenders a little to make it fit. I just rolled the trailer next to the boat with the supports, flipped the boat over on it, and slid it up. Just an idea to help strip the sides and hull if your going that far.

The tarp filled with water during rinses so i just poked holes with a razor to drain it out as they formed. It was a cheap throw away one anyhow.

And bare aluminum is always nice! :laugh:
Thanks for the info.. I will look into that when the time comes.. I will have to put the boat in the back yard before I can flip her.. Don't think the city will let me turtle it in my driveway..

Hey that double hockey stick SC logo is going to look great!
Thanks Watermann, Just hope it turns out ok..

Decker, it's looking fantastic!!

When I traced my swoosh, I used a rubbery plastic light cover, the kind that fits in to a 2x4 foot Florecsent light fixture. It was rigid enough to use as a template and flexible enough that it didn't shatter or crack at all... Very rubbery. I just traced the curved portion and measured the straight line portions. The lens cost me $11 or 12 at a big box hardware store.
It would save you having to transfer the pattern to another material.

Thanks hayko1971.. Now that you bring this up, I remember making a comment about it working for both sides.. Wish I had remembered that before I made this one.. I think I can make this one work just using the template..

They're some great ideas for transferring the original "artwork"!

The 70's SC artists must have been sneaker-fans :lol:

Decker, you're rockin' the upside-down Puma... Hayko, I hate to tell ya, but you have the payless version buy-one / get-one Puma :p
Thanks classiccat.. I bet one of them looked down at the other one's foot and said Yeah that's it.. The new SC SWOOSH..:whoo:

Decker83

Commander
Did some more stripping today.. Will finish the sides tomorrow and get ready to flip her..
Will have to switch my deck boat from the back yard to the front and SS to the back yard..
Hope I can get this done tomorrow..

Hope everyone one of the fathers here has a Great Fathers Day tomorrow..

Pic of the day..

100_3360.jpg

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Ugg paint stripping :sour:

Looks like the end is near though! :encouragement:

Decker83

Commander
Been a few days since I have posted..
Moved the SC to the back yard under a make shift canopy..
Have the hull in the turtle position..
Went shopping on CL and found a Busch polishing kit for 25.00..
Here our some pics..

100_3365.jpg

100_3366.jpg

100_3368.jpg

100_3369.jpg

Hope everyone had a good 4th of July..

Last edited:

Decker83

Commander
Looking good decker!
Thanks jbcurt00 Moving slow but still moving..:D

Looks good, Decker! Creative use of an engine hoist too. :joyous:
Thanks BWR I used the hoist to flip my deck boat too.. That was a whole lot harder than this tin boat..:eek:

Looks great Decker, those sides are nice and clean.
Thanks for dropping in Candutch.. After alot of stripping and scrubbing I finally got them clean..
Hope to polish the sides like Dozzer did his.. We will see..:dizzy:

Did some more stripping on the bottom.. Have about half of one side done..
Put up some pics this weekend..
Hope you have a great Friday.. May the eagle fly over you..

Last edited: