1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

sylvan layout.jpg

I'm sorry, I haven't had a chance to go snap some pics, however, here is a rough sketch of how the hatch and tripod look.

freshness247

Cadet

image.jpg

I can tell you first hand that when these boats are taken care of they will last 30 years or more. My Dad bought this boat brand new in August of '76 with a Merc 650. The next summer he traded the 650 in for an 850. Cost $1000. He was fortunate enough to keep it in a garage and out of the weather when not in use all these years. Had to replace the floor last winter and only minor hiccups with the motor about three years ago due to rotting wires. Runs better than new now and we wouldn't trade it for a brand new one. I have 3 videos on YouTube. Search "1977 Merc 850" it does about 40mph with one person in it.

Good luck with your rebuild. I know you'll enjoy it.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow that boat is identical to mine (except it looks 30 years newer). Thanks for the pic.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

View attachment 173716

I'm sorry, I haven't had a chance to go snap some pics, however, here is a rough sketch of how the hatch and tripod look.

Thanks for the pic, I'm not sure I have the skills to put one in... I like the idea of additional storage, but I have the rear hatch (under the splashwell) and the storage up front in the bow. I think I am going to leave the floor alone, I like the rigidity that it has now.

SuperGrover

Seaman Apprentice

View attachment 173833

I can tell you first hand that when these boats are taken care of they will last 30 years or more. My Dad bought this boat brand new in August of '76 with a Merc 650. The next summer he traded the 650 in for an 850. Cost $1000. He was fortunate enough to keep it in a garage and out of the weather when not in use all these years. Had to replace the floor last winter and only minor hiccups with the motor about three years ago due to rotting wires. Runs better than new now and we wouldn't trade it for a brand new one. I have 3 videos on YouTube. Search "1977 Merc 850" it does about 40mph with one person in it.

Good luck with your rebuild. I know you'll enjoy it.

What a great boat!

Freshness, I'm sure all of us '76 SS16 restorers would love to see more pics of a 'like-new, original condition' SS like that. Could you post more? (or maybe you have and I'm missing the link or something...). Thanks!

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree, some interior pics would be really helpful, as I am trying to get it as close to back to factory as I can.

freshness247

Cadet

Thanks for your interest in our old Starcraft Supersport. Here's a few pics. I have alot of pictures of the step by step to replace the floor, but not sure if you guys want to see all those or not. Our goal was to keep this as close to original as possible too. The seats and trim upholstery are still original. I honestly only took a couple after pictures. Once we finished it up it went to the water and have been using it since. I will snap a few more tomorrow or Saturday morning when the sun comes back out.

Again, we only replaced the plywood in the floor, new vinyl (blue from ********), rebuild the seat frames (couldnt find same wood upholstery so stained them to close to original finish) and steering cable. We added a Faria Depth Finder with chrome bezel and black face to match the original Quiksilver speedo and tach.

I look forward to talking with you guys more about these boats.

View attachment 173890View attachment 173891View attachment 173892View attachment 1738932011-08-16_14.01.44.jpg

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quick update, finished painting the flooring and put the deck in the boat. Ready to start riveting it down, I went to home depot and bought a rivet gun with a rotating head for $20. Hoping to get a little practice with it this week and attach the floor. Here is some pics of the painted deck.
IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0556.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, stained the bottoms (probably not necessary) and then two coats of Poly. ;)

SuperGrover

Seaman Apprentice

These are great pics, and will be very useful in the near future. Its clear that the boat was/is in great shape. You should start a thread and share these photos and information with others, Thanks for the look :)

I second that - thanks!

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Snowed over the weekend, so no progress... That was a helpful update huh?

We got about 2 inches Saturday evening, tad chilly to get anything done.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Staining and the using poly on the deck material will extend it's life longer than you might imagine. With proper care and maintenance it will last for Decades. Good Job!!!! Uhmmm... I can't believe you let a little snow slow you down. I thought all Colorado guys could deal with it.!!!!:D

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Staining and the using poly on the deck material will extend it's life longer than you might imagine. With proper care and maintenance it will last for Decades. Good Job!!!! Uhmmm... I can't believe you let a little snow slow you down. I thought all Colorado guys could deal with it.!!!!:D

If the boat cover didn't have little frozen ponds on it, I would have made more of an effort. Speaking of which I'm thinking about building a pvc rib cage to keep the water from pooling on the cover, any thoughts or diagrams would be very userful? What have people done in the past?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I use these just to lift and hold the center of the cover up. I had a lot of pooling before I started using them. I also tie some heavy string fore/aft and side to side to keep the pole vertical otherwise they like to fall over..

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use these just to lift and hold the center of the cover up. I had a lot of pooling before I started using them. I also tie some heavy string fore/aft and side to side to keep the pole vertical otherwise they like to fall over..

I like these I might have to pick up a couple, someone also told me that upside down garbage can work well too. for $10 how could I go wrong?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I used 6 - 10' sticks of 3/4" PVC & 4 - 90's and 16 T's to make one like this that extends from the windshield to the transom . Works GREAT! It's about 8 ft long and at the same height as the windshield. T's on the ends of each upright, 90's on the corners of the base. Did not glue the joints for easy disassembly. It's already tarped and secured or I would take a pic and send it to you.

TentFrame.jpg

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used 4 - 10' sticks of 3/4" PVC & 4 - 90's and 16 T's to make one like this that extends from the windshield to the transom . Works GREAT!

TentFrame.jpg

I like your idea, its kind of what I was thinking. I was contemplating doing something like this...

Cage.jpg

Make it out of 1 1/2" PVC and bend it in place. The height might be a bit exajerated. the front of the boat doesnt seem to be gathering too much water right now. + I still need to add the consoles and windshield back in.