1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

Honestly I have no idea, for me dissimilar metals are dissimilar metals. It actually has to do w/ where the metal is on the periodic table. The difference between more or less noble metals causes the reaction. As an amalgam (mixed melted metal, right :confused:) brass may be inert.

You'll likely want to seal the drain tube into the transom hole anyway. The 5200 in theory should be between the metals. So if it's inert you're good, and sealed against water intrusion. If it isn't inert, you're still good
wink.gif

It's been since 1985 since I had any chemistry & honestly until now, it never really mattered that I didn't pay much attention then
duh.gif

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi 850Merc,
Nice work on your tinny, been lurking in the background and watching...nice job sprucing up the Gold Wing...really like the bumper bar and all the new bling...

Just passing through, and noticed the discussion on dissimilar metals and corrosion...I have been doing some searching myself, mostly for informational purposes and have come across a couple of discussions on this...My brain is too small to really understand most of it, but if you'd care to give it a try... Galvanic and Corrosion Compatibility Dissimilar Metal Corrosion - Engineers Edge

There are quite a few similar links...just Google "dissimilar metals"

Hope this helps...
GT1M

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Yup, I like the Rusto PRO, cheap, readily available, easy for touch ups, cheap, and inexpensive:D

There may be better paints out there than Rusto. If you find one let me know. Make sure it's oil based or as Jas said Professional grade. OK there are better paints but it works great for an aluminum Starcraft. There is no hardener in Rusto, also no isocyanates in it. Go to Ace Hardware, they sell Rust Stop (re-branded Rusto) and they tint it any color you want.

Hit the bare spots with an etching primer. I love Zinc Chromate, wear a mask though. They call it green death.

I rolled it and rolled it and Jas shot it. Check either thread for thinning and applying. Good luck there are some experts on here in painting (not me) ask questions and you'll get answers.

Good Luck,

Bwana Don

Oh my Gosh I just saw JB's list of threads on painting. Holy Smokes.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

According to this Fastenal info, brass may not be so good depending on which is the anode and which is the cathode. Basically just like a battery

I think playing it safe AL or plastic are better drain tube choices. Relying on 5200 to isolate the brass and Al is risky at best and no guarantee that no touching takes place. My 2 pennies, 850.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

There may be better paints out there than Rusto. If you find one let me know. Make sure it's oil based or as Jas said Professional grade. OK there are better paints but it works great for an aluminum Starcraft. There is no hardener in Rusto, also no isocyanates in it. Go to Ace Hardware, they sell Rust Stop (re-branded Rusto) and they tint it any color you want.

Hit the bare spots with an etching primer. I love Zinc Chromate, wear a mask though. They call it green death.

I rolled it and rolled it and Jas shot it. Check either thread for thinning and applying. Good luck there are some experts on here in painting (not me) ask questions and you'll get answers.

Good Luck,

Bwana Don

Oh my Gosh I just saw JB's list of threads on painting. Holy Smokes.

Thanks Don, I'll be going to Ace for sure. I like that they can tint the Rust Stop, and I like Ace better than HD or Lowes anyway.

On the painting note. I have decided to take my painted aluminum down to a local media blasting company "Blast-Tech" and have them strip all three pieces before I paint them. I'm going to call down there today and see what they'll charge for it (might have to bring it by there for an exact quote).

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

According to this Fastenal info, brass may not be so good depending on which is the anode and which is the cathode. Basically just like a battery

I think playing it safe AL or plastic are better drain tube choices. Relying on 5200 to isolate the brass and Al is risky at best and no guarantee that no touching takes place. My 2 pennies, 850.

Wow, according to that chart the Aluminum would be the corroding end? I'm going to see if I can get aluminum drains locally at West Marine... I don't want to end up with an issue a few years down the road. Thanks GA

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

West Marine should have them... If not, they can order them for you. Iboats has them as well.

I think they will be safer, easier to flange, and also prolly look better than the brass...

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

West Marine should have them... If not, they can order them for you. Iboats has them as well.

I think they will be safer, easier to flange, and also prolly look better than the brass...

I just placed my first iBoats order (maybe I'll even get one of those sweet high performance stickers?) I bought an extra in case I hose one up :D

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quick update from the weekend. I went and bought a couple 4 X 8 sheets of 15/32nds plywood for the consoles, side panels and front bench panels, and started cutting from the existing templates (some of which are in terrible shape). I just the two 7 foot long side panels and cut two of the 3 panels for the bow seating. They seem to have come out good.

I cut the two new dask panels from some leftover 3/4 in MDO, and they came out great. I only had one template from the port side, but I just flipped it over for the starboard side. I still have the aluminum trim ring for the starboard side, so I'm relatively certain they are mirror images of each other.

I need to start thinking about where to pick up some vinyl for the panels... I'll probably just seal them with poly before covering them in vinyl.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I finished up the cuts tonight, came out pretty well. Here are some pictures.

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0579.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I almost forgot the (correct) drain tubes came in the mail. I bought an extra because I'm not 100% confident about my technique. Hoping to get some transom work done really soon.

IMG_0583.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

I suggest that you use epoxy to seal the parts you cut, instead of poly. More then 2 coats of epoxy on both sides, and at least 4 on the edges.

The OSB may not hold up very well in a marine environment, esp when the boat is used for swimming, tubing & w/ wet kids.

MHO though.... The cuts do all look great.

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Since I was the buzz kill on the drain tubes, I'm glad JBC beat me to this one...

I don't think has OSB/Particle board has the best reputation for marine applications... Check into and let me know what you find out...

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Every piece will be covered in Marine Grade vinyl, I was hoping the vinyl would protect the wood significantly all pieces except the front bench are vertical surfaces. Does that make any difference? Otherwise I may have just made new templates... Haha

jbcurt00

Staff member

My only experience w/ standard ply vs OSB is in construction. OSB vertically doesn't delaminate too quickly but will much quicker then standard plywood hung vertically, both are untreated of course, and are 'exterior grade'.

Laying flat the delamination of both is quicker, but I don't know if the difference in rate changes between the 2, flat vs vertical.

I suspect the vinyl will probably be more expensive then the OSB. The vinyl will slow the delamination, but only you know whether you should proceed w/ the OSB or make new panels. Or to try using epoxy instead of poly to bolster the OSB.

I think it comes down to more time, money & effort now vs later:
Remaking the panels in MDO, Aurauco, or etc
Using epoxy vs poly
Wrapping the OSB w/ vinyl
How long between this work & having to do a little maintenance, a lot of maintenance and a total redo....

Kind of like paint & paint prep....
The more prep & the more detailed & thorough the prep, the better the paint will turn out, and the longer lasting.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ugh....

Yah, I'll go along with the idea that you have some great templates there:blue:

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

My only experience w/ standard ply vs OSB is in construction. OSB vertically doesn't delaminate too quickly but will much quicker then standard plywood hung vertically, both are untreated of course, and are 'exterior grade'.

Laying flat the delamination of both is quicker, but I don't know if the difference in rate changes between the 2, flat vs vertical.

I suspect the vinyl will probably be more expensive then the OSB. The vinyl will slow the delamination, but only you know whether you should proceed w/ the OSB or make new panels. Or to try using epoxy instead of poly to bolster the OSB.

I think it comes down to more time, money & effort now vs later:
Remaking the panels in MDO, Aurauco, or etc
Using epoxy vs poly
Wrapping the OSB w/ vinyl
How long between this work & having to do a little maintenance, a lot of maintenance and a total redo....

Kind of like paint & paint prep....
The more prep & the more detailed & thorough the prep, the better the paint will turn out, and the longer lasting.

Hmm... I guess I have some thinking to do, which is ok because the transom should be my current focus anyway. Thanks for the info, I will take all these comments to heart.

One thing I can say about my situation is that Colorado is an extremely dry climate. Things dry out VERY fast here. Its really a lot like living in a the desert. Not making excuses but even if I used the OSB, I probably have 10 years of use before anything will need touched again (assuming I keep it protected from the elements).

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ugh....

Yah, I'll go along with the idea that you have some great templates there:blue:

Thanks man, I would hate to waste a $100 roll of vinyl on wood thats going to fall apart...