1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

I was able to get the boat in the garage over the weekend and install the deck (WOOOO HOOOOO!!!!). I know it only took my a month to get it done, but I'm still feeling pretty good about it. :cool:

Here are some pics along the way. I forgot to get a final picture at the end, but yes I did rivet the edges as well.

I also reinstalled the transom after taking care of the waterproofing. I just need to start drilling holes at this point.

IMG_0566.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

IMG_0564.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Very nice installation. Your attention to detail is Outstanding!!!

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Wood, I really like the way it turned out. Now I need to get that splashwell painted and put back on the boat, I want to find the say color blue and replicate the original.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What paint are you planning on using? You should be able to start with a "Ford" blue and add white to the mix until you get the shade of the original. I used Valspar Tractor paint and was able to mix my own to get a "SKY BLUE". Check the last link in my signature below.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

What paint are you planning on using? You should be able to start with a "Ford" blue and add white to the mix until you get the shade of the original. I used Valspar Tractor paint and was able to mix my own to get a "SKY BLUE". Check the last link in my signature below.

I have been reading around and it sounds like I should use Rustoleum Professional. I'm probably not going to shoot the hull, it looks pretty good. I just want to paint all the aluminum inside (consoles, gunwale, splashwell, etc...), maybe even try to redo the topside blue, but I'm not sure about that quite yet. Do I need to use a zinc primer on it if I use Rustoleum?

jbcurt00

Staff member

I have been reading around and it sounds like I should use Rustoleum Professional. I'm probably not going to shoot the hull, it looks pretty good. I just want to paint all the aluminum inside (consoles, gunwale, splashwell, etc...), maybe even try to redo the topside blue, but I'm not sure about that quite yet. Do I need to use a zinc primer on it if I use Rustoleum?

ZC is for priming the bare aluminum, if you need to paint bare aluminum, use the ZC or self etching primer. Then prime w/ the same brand of final paint you plan to use.

Rustoleum Pro has served many SC owners well. Jas is a huge fan.

If the existing paint is well stuck, then rough it up & paint prep, shoot primer (NOT ZC), prep & shoot final coat(s)

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would say that most of the paint is stuck pretty good, there are some bare spots but not that many. I am thinking of just roughing it up and use rattle cans. I have an HVLP gun (harbor freight), but I dont have any experience with it yet. Sounds like I dont need to bother with the ZC or etching primer. Thanks JB :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yup, I like the Rusto PRO, cheap, readily available, easy for touch ups, cheap, and inexpensive:D

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cheap is good, I'm also fond of inexpensive. Ford Blue and add white till I reach the right color. Thanks WOG and Jas, I think a gallon ought to do. I assume you roll it on? I might spray on the primer and roll the base and top coats.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I would say that most of the paint is stuck pretty good, there are some bare spots but not that many. I am thinking of just roughing it up and use rattle cans. I have an HVLP gun (harbor freight), but I dont have any experience with it yet. Sounds like I dont need to bother with the ZC or etching primer. Thanks JB :)

The 1st indicates you need some ZC, maybe only 1 rattle can, you put it on light, very light:
zinc-chromate-yellow-2.jpg

Very very lightly ^^^ is plenty good coverage.

There are a few painting aluminum threads that discuss the options & choices in detail. And the ZC @ bare aluminum is just 1 of the pre-paint & paint prep steps....

Advanced search of painting aluminum:

Search: Search took 0.16 seconds.

And about 75 more.
detective.gif

They may not individually be of great help, but in total, there is lots & lots of info. And it will help you decide how to prep & paint the boat..

And you may want to mix up enough paint to save a pint to a quart of already mixed color for touch ups. Make sure it nearly fills the container (not just a pint in a gallon can, that leaves lots of room for air). And that the lid is well sealed.

Very little white will drastically change the blue, so make very small changes, measure & keep very accurate record of the recipe as you change it & when you get the 1 you want. Jas & WOG both shot the paint. Shooting the primer after treating the bare aluminum w ZC will give you some practice with the gun & if you shoot light coats of primer & paint, and lightly sand in between, you should do fine w/ the gun. Often it's the hose & stepping over/around it and the hull that causes the
oops.gif

And perhaps practice on the trailer
smile.gif

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see, so any bare aluminum will require ZC. Got it. I like the idea of getting to know my HVLP with the trailer (it definately needs the attention).

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was just checking to see if my local HD had 5200 and they do, but I found this review from CaptainFrank and I thought it was kind of funny. Sounds like he might be stuck to something right now in fact.

3m5200.jpg

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Yes, don't ask me how I know this, but it also takes approximately 4 days to get cured 5200 off of your bare hands. Basically, the time it takes for new skin to grow...

I love the stuff, though...

Did the flange tool arrive safe and sound?

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, don't ask me how I know this, but it also takes approximately 4 days to get cured 5200 off of your bare hands. Basically, the time it takes for new skin to grow...

I love the stuff, though...

Did the flange tool arrive safe and sound?

Absolutely, I got it about a week ago (muchas gracias) and my copper tubes arrived yesterday as well :D

I'm hoping to make some progress over the weekend, and get those tubes installed (fingers crossed).

Happy Thanksgiving, hope your turkey day is fantastic!!

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Great... Hey buddy, I hate to risk being a total buzz kill on your turkey day weekend..., but it seem to recall having read on here that copper and aluminum don't play well in the sand box together... Apparently, aluminum runs a risk of galvanic corrosion when it comes in contact with copper... I'm not sure when this means in the real world, but since its your transom, I wouldn't risk it...

Hopefully I'm wrong, so do some forum searching and googling to be sure...

Happy Thanksgiving... and I hope you get some good work done...

jbcurt00

Staff member

3M 5200 might be barrier enough between the copper drain tubes & the aluminum transom skin...... Where did you get copper drain tubes? I don't think I've seen those before....

BTW:
From the Admiral & I to you & yours:
thanksgiving-8-07.gif

May you have a great weekend & enjoy the company of friends & family....

John

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I took a closer look at the tubes and I believe they are brass not copper, my bad.

Sorry no real progress this weekend, I took apart the consoles and now I have 4 piles of materials to work with. Painted Aluminum, Trim Aluminum, Plywood (for templates) and the glass (1 broken payne).

I also put some trash cans upside down in the boat to keep the water off.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

3M 5200 might be barrier enough between the copper drain tubes & the aluminum transom skin...... Where did you get copper drain tubes? I don't think I've seen those before....

BTW:
From the Admiral & I to you & yours:
thanksgiving-8-07.gif

May you have a great weekend & enjoy the company of friends & family....

John

Happy late Thanksgiving, spent most of the four day weekend doing family stuff. Turkey hangover lasted a couple days. :rolleyes:

jbcurt00

Staff member

For your next tin rebuild, they sell aluminum drain tubes
grin.gif

They make them in plastic too

But 5200 maybe barrier enough w/ the brass drain tubes...

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

For your next tin rebuild, they sell aluminum drain tubes
grin.gif

They make them in plastic too

But 5200 maybe barrier enough w/ the brass drain tubes...

Does Brass have the same chemical reaction as Copper? I talked to a friend and he said that Brass was inert and wouldn't cause a reaction.