1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

Yah, you'll want some squeeze out all around between the 2 plys. That way you KNOW it's a water tight seal all around eh.

Ah man, fall in Colorado, awesome:D

In retrospect I should have just taken the lid off the bottle and dumped on more glue. I swear I sat there squeezing for what seemed like a very long time, :rolleyes: I even used a rubber glove to smooth the glue around before clamping it, but still not squeeze out... I think I am going to still cut the final shape and then see if I can split it apart, if it wont I may just feed glue down around all edges using the gravity method.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I use TiteBond III and spread a liberal amount on both faces, couple of drywall screws sunk so the two pieces don't slide apart, throw a whole bunch of weight on, look for the squeeze out, let it cure, trim to finish size/shape.

Keep on keepen on!:)

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Third times a charm, I keep having to rewrite this post... I didn't realize there was a 6 pic limit, so I'll double post.

Firstly, sorry about the lack of details, but my fingers are getting sore...

Secondly, sorry I havent given a status update for a couple weeks. Now on to progress.

Foam cut and fit.

IMG_0532.jpg

Transom cut and fit

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

Deck cut and fit, my "templates" have seen better days but the floor came out great. I'm very happy with it.

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

Now I just need to paint and waterproof the deck. Making good progress, sorry no updates till now.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heres the rest of the floor pics.

IMG_0536.jpg

IMG_0537.jpg

and here is one of the reason I have been short of boat time. I just finished this project last week (finally), I really like the way it turned out so I have to show it off a bit.

IMG_0525.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

If you had an even spread of glue from edge to edge on both faces of the plywood, then you shouldn't have any issues with the glue up. TB III only requires a thin layer on both surfaces to yield a very strong waterproof bond. No squeeze out is somewhat of a concern. that would indicate that the glue was not spread appropriately on both surfaces. Having said that you will be encapsulating it with resin I presume and that should take care of the edges and any porosity issues. The MDO is VERY good stuff but the edges ARE important to get sealed properly. Make sure and take care when you use the epoxy or what ever it is you're going to use to seal it up.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice work on the deck, transom & Honda!

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Wood, I placed the transom in the boat to test fit it and now I can't get it out?? It fits perfect but I wanted to waterproof it before final installation. I'm sure I can get it out on a warm day, but as of yet it seems determined to stay right where it is... As for the deck I was planning to buy marine grade paint and coat both side thoroughly before installation. Do you think it would be better to coat the bottom with resin instead? and if so what product would you suggest? I'm hoping I can get something a my local HD if possible. I thought about use a deck sealer like Thompsons or something.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice work on the deck, transom & Honda!

Thanks JB, I have only had a chance to put about 30 miles on the Honda so far, but there is still a month of so a decent weather here for riding. I cut the deck with a jigsaw and put a 45 degree bevel on all sides just like the factory. After I was done cutting I put the deck down and walked on it, it seems to be pretty darn solid. There isn't much give, that MDO is pretty heavy stuff compared to regular 1/2" plywood (and about twice as heavy).

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

For sealing up decks/transoms many guys go for epoxy but spar varnish and even porch/floor paint will work fine.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

For sealing up decks/transoms many guys go for epoxy but spar varnish and even porch/floor paint will work fine.

Thanks for the information Jas, I wanted to ask you something. I need to put the splashwell drain holes in my transom and noticed that you already own the flaring tool. I saw it on Amazon for $38 + another $8 for the tubes.

Does that seem like a fair price to you? The tool is a bit pricey and I'm affraid I will only use it once (unless I become obsessed with these boats). I'm already keeping my eyes open for an 18' SS...

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I think I grabbed min for like $28 from JMS...

Another iboater has mine at the moment, but he could prolly lend it to ya when he's all set with it:)

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think I grabbed min for like $28 from JMS...

Another iboater has mine at the moment, but he could prolly lend it to ya when he's all set with it:)

That would be SWEET, I'd be happy to reimburse shipping and such. I'm not in a huge hurry, I still need to get tubes. That would be great, and much appreciated. I would be happy to return it to you with a small rental fee :D

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Removed

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Keep your eye on this project...

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=574287

When he cranks his tubes in shoot him a PM, then when you are all set you can just send it back to me eh.

My "rental" fee is a new/old 25 foot Starcraft Islander which is really hard to come by, so really, your just better off borrowing it:D

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

So, we had a wind storm a couple night ago and the trailer tongue was blow off of its upside down gallon buck on to the ground. I have been putting it off for a few weeks, so last night I swung by Harbor Freight and picked up one of these. Seems be decent quality and should roll ok with the dual wheels.

Jack.jpg

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking great! I've got a '79 Sylvan with almost identical layout. Since you already have her all torn down (I'm assuming you haven’t permanently fastened anything yet) I'd suggest adding a storage space in the middle of the floor. I have one in mine and it's great for holding fishing poles, oars and my tripod. I'll try to snap a few pics or find some that I have that you can see it in. I already put her away for the winter :( One other mod that I highly recommend is to add a tripod for towing tubers and skiers. I nearly ripped my transom apart using the cable and pulley setups. I love mine and wouldn't trade her for the world... had her 16.5 years now :)

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looking great! I've got a '79 Sylvan with almost identical layout. Since you already have her all torn down (I'm assuming you haven’t permanently fastened anything yet) I'd suggest adding a storage space in the middle of the floor. I have one in mine and it's great for holding fishing poles, oars and my tripod. I'll try to snap a few pics or find some that I have that you can see it in. I already put her away for the winter :( One other mod that I highly recommend is to add a tripod for towing tubers and skiers. I nearly ripped my transom apart using the cable and pulley setups. I love mine and wouldn't trade her for the world... had her 16.5 years now :)

I would definately be interested in taking a look at what you've done, all ideas are appreciated.

Its getting pretty cold here now, I want to get the deck installed so that I can store it for the winter (while working on the consoles, interior and OB).

The PO gave me a brand new cover to keep things dry this winter, so I'm pretty happy about that.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quick update, I have been painting the deck pieces for the past week or so. I moved them to the basement so I could thoroughly coat both sides. I'm using a Bear floor/deck paint that I had tinted a light grey color, on the bottom I am using some leftover polyurathane that I used on my kitchen table. Sorry no pics, I'll grab some tonight and post them up tomorrow.