1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

Gettin' it done, 850. Guess the floor comes out next. On the couple of days of dead forum, I think think a hacker got in.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gettin' it done, 850. Guess the floor comes out next. On the couple of days of dead forum, I think think a hacker got in.

Thanks GA, I was to get both consoles out and remove the old deck and foam as well. When I pulled the side rails I found this, an old pull tab Coor beer can.

IMG_0485.jpg

I promised some transom picks in an earlier post. Here are two that show the condition... The oily spot is from some hyrdolic oil that spilled during disassembly.

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0483.jpg

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay... I also was able to remove the floor and foam, then I shopvac'd the inside... I have a pile of the old plywood (mostly disintigrate) that I saved for templates. I also have a growing pile of aluminum to work with.

IMG_0487.jpg

IMG_0486.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

GA_Boater

She looks way better with the foam, rusty fish hooks and beer cans out. The transom lookin' a bit flaky and dried out.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

She looks way better with the foam, rusty fish hooks and beer cans out. The transom lookin' a bit flaky and dried out.

I'm thinking a good power washing and check for leaks, then I need to get my hands on some pink stuff and MDO. This project seems to be going quickly :D

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think so too, the transom definately needs replacing. A good power washing and a check for leaks should help, but all the rivets seem to be in good shape.

I do have a question about order. Do I need to do the transom before I put down the new deck?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I do have a question about order. Do I need to do the transom before I put down the new deck?

It will be easier if you do, plus you won't make a mess on your new deck.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

It will be easier if you do, plus you won't make a mess on your new deck.

I was just checking some old pictures, and it seems feasible to do the deck first. That being said, the tear out is going to be a big mess, I agree doing the transom first is the best way to go.

Thanks, Jig

IMG_0490a.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Yep, having the transom installed will make climbing in & out of the boat while working on the deck easier too :)

GA_Boater

850 - It's six of one, half dozen of the other on floor or transom first. I always climb over the side. Just my opinion.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

850 - It's six of one, half dozen of the other on floor or transom first. I always climb over the side. Just my opinion.

The more I think about it, the more I would like to get the deck completed sooner than later. What do you guys think would be a good way to check for leaks before installing the deck?

I thought about filling it up with 8 to 10 inches of water with the bow down lower and check the seams.

I also thought about running it over to a lake that is near my house and just putting it in the water?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

GA_Boater

I think the lake is better than filling with water. And add some weight to simulate the motor, fuel, deck etc. Maybe 400# if you can, any amount is beneficial to force the hull down.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the lake is better than filling with water. And add some weight to simulate the motor, fuel, deck etc. Maybe 400# if you can, any amount is beneficial to force the hull down.

Thanks GA, sounds like a good plan to me.

I have a question about the configuration of the interior on your boat, do you think there is any way to get seating for 6 behind the consoles? I thought about putting two captains chairs in the front and then two benchs(one on each side) I also thought of doing the 4 seats (back to back) and then a couple movable boxes with storage and a pad at the rear.

Maybe this is a pipe dream, seating for 4 would be much more spacious.

GA_Boater

!6' will get pretty cramped with seating for six in the cockpit. And crowded with people too. 4 seats with a rear bench might be better than two seats w/side benches, I currently have seating for two and almost 8' from the seats to the transom. I'm more than happy with my layout.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

!6' will get pretty cramped with seating for six in the cockpit. And crowded with people too. 4 seats with a rear bench might be better than two seats w/side benches, I currently have seating for two and almost 8' from the seats to the transom. I'm more than happy with my layout.

Thanks GA, I think 4 will be the max (behind the glass). I have 3 young kids (and 1 older one), so I was hoping to get as much seating as possible.:D

IMG_0384.jpg

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, I made some progress tonight. For one I stopped by Napa and picked up some cleaning supplies for this weekend.

IMG_0491.jpg

Thanks Magnumdeke,

Also, I was able to beat the sun home from work and took off the transom. Its kind of strange that it is make from three pieces of wood, but it does look like some kind of microlam or something. Pretty solid by dried out on the inside, one corner on the top was pretty brittle.

IMG_0494.jpg

IMG_0493.jpg

IMG_0498.jpg

IMG_0497.jpg

Have a great weekend everyone, I'm going to get this empty husk all cleaned up and ready to start reassembling. ;)

GA_Boater

A lot of the guys make a one piece transom instead of the three piece. Seems like it might be a little stronger.

How are you making out with the impeller replacement?

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you get tired of that ol boat and just dont feel like putting her back together just let me know and I drive down from Casper and take her off your hands.

Your boat is the exact same as the first boat I restored..... right down to the blue vinyl on the sides. You will have a really nice boat when you done

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

A lot of the guys make a one piece transom instead of the three piece. Seems like it might be a little stronger.

How are you making out with the impeller replacement?

I am definately thinking of doing a 1 piece transom, I'm hoping to get the plywood this weekend. Haven't even looked at the motor after putting it in the shed, I suppose I need to start thinking about that at some point?:facepalm:

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you get tired of that ol boat and just dont feel like putting her back together just let me know and I drive down from Casper and take her off your hands.

Your boat is the exact same as the first boat I restored..... right down to the blue vinyl on the sides. You will have a really nice boat when you done

I am pretty happy that I ended up with an aluminum boat for my first project, I think a glasser would have broken me!!