1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

This weekend I put the boat in the driveway and tilted the front of the boat up in the air (as high as I could), and cleaned up all of the glue mess from inside the hull and cleaned all of the rib passage ways fairly thorougly with the powerwasher and the hose.

The NAPA paint stripper mixed with the power washer really help get the glue residue off.

Once this was completed I tried to spray on the aluminim cleaner and it didn't seem to do much. The instructions said to only leave it on for a short time due to the acid content, so I washed it off pretty quickly after putting it on.

I decided to us a deck brush with the cleaner and this made all the difference, I guess the agitation was enough to convince it. I need to do some more cleaning of the transom area, but overall it came out pretty good.

Sorry no pics today, I'll try to grab some tonight when I get home. I felt pretty good about getting the Transom out on Friday so I still feel pretty accomplished for the weekend.

I'm hoping to get the MDO this week, I'm pretty sure I need 3 sheets of 1/2 inch MDO and 1 sheet of 3/4 inch MDO for the transom.

Quick question, is the 3/4" MDO actually 3/4 of an inch? Someone told me that it is actually 23/32 of an inch... Probably not a major issue, just curious.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I think 'most' 3/4" ply is 23/32" unless specifically stamped 3/4"

From the home office of the primary supply house for our resident mad man boat builder (Menards & Jas :)):
Product Description:

Roseburg is considered one of the nations leading suppliers of industrial grade MDO plywood panels. Consistent quality, stability, excellent customer service, and exceptional product value makes Roseburg a supplier, industrial users can trust.

• 23/32" Actual Thickness
  • 2-sided MDO (medium density overlay) panel
  • Fir veneer plywood with smooth resin-treated fiber overlay for rapid, even paint application

Interesting side note, Menards can get 3/4" MDO in 4X10 sheets.....

Many marine plywoods are typically in millimeters, okoume is.....

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I guess the end result is that I will be 1/16th of an inch short of my existing 1/12" transom. Probably nothing to worry about.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Might make that up in the glue joint between sheets, depending on what glue you use

But either way no worry

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I called a local lumber company yesterday afternoon and talked to them about the MDO that I need. The company is Strait Lumber in Aurora, I was told that they have it in stock. He said that they also carry marine plywood, so I had him quote both prices.

Marine Grade 1/2" 4X8 Sheet $128
Marine Grade 3/4" 4X8 Sheet $120

MDO Ply 1/2" 4X8 Sheet $55
MDO Ply 3/4" 4X8 Sheet $50

Does anyone understand why 3/4" would be cheaper on for both types? This does make a lot of sense to me. :confused:

Anyhow I ordered 3 sheets of 1/2" MDO and 1 Sheet of 3/4" MDO for the boat. He said it would take about a day to get it, so I am hoping to pick it up this afternoon :D To the tune of about $230 with tax and such.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My only guess on the price difference is the 1/2" prob goes out the door more than the 3/4". Supply and demand?

EDIT - If you add $20 for glue and fasteners, you're up to what I paid for my whole rig. :D A lot more in it now. :eek:

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

My only guess on the price difference is the 1/2" prob goes out the door more than the 3/4". Supply and demand?

EDIT - If you add $20 for glue and fasteners, you're up to what I paid for my whole rig. :D A lot more in it now. :eek:

This is my first expense (besides paint stripper and Aluminum cleaner). I still need to buy the foam and seats for the boat and paint (for the trailer and boat). My initial guess was that I would have $1000 to $1200 before the boats sees the water.

I'm still probably being pretty optimistic, Oh also need Gluvit too!

North Beach

Commander

850 1/16 is still 1/16 and I wouldn't go shorting yourself on the transom. I suggest you go back with the two layers of 3/4 plywood (at least exterior grade and waterproofed with something). Secondly, just fill the boat to the chines with water in your driveway and let it set for a few hours. That way you can mark leaking rivets (if you have any) on the bottom of the boat. This has been done by almost every Starcraft restorer on these forums without one problem. If you go to the lake and produce a leak under one of the ribs you may still not know which rivet is leaking. And to clarify, using new 1/2" plywood with Pink or Blue EXTRUDED polystyrene (not EPS, which is expanded) will not result in a spongy deck if you install the insulation to the correct height. Not to mention you are gonna have issues with things like your consoles ligning up properly if you change decking height.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks NorthBeach, I dont know if this MDO is actually 3/4 or 23/32 nds yet. It may very well full width (hopefully).

When we were doing the hull cleaning with the powerwasher I inspected the hull and found a small leak from the hook on the front that attached to the trailer draw.

I have already decided that 1/2" decking will be installed. If it was good enough at the factory, its good enough for me!!

I intend on cutting the insulation in to triangles (with a half circles cut in the point) to minimize air space and maximize drainage (credit to jasoutside). I will make sure that I purchase extruded and not EPS foam boards.

Thanks for the information, I don't like to do things twice.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I brought the 4 sheets of MDO and 3 sheets of 2" pink foam home last night. I'm hoping that I got the right stuff for the foam, its definately the "pink stuff". I'm hoping to get most of the foam cut in this weekend, maybe even get the 3/4" doubled up as well for the transom.

IMG_0499.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

I was surprised at how heavy the 1/2" MDO sheets were, I would have to say that they weigh every bit as much as a 3/4" piece of tongue in groove flooring weighs. And the 3/4" was quite a bit heavier than that.

North Beach

Commander

850 you got the right flotation. But you're probably gonna need a sheet or two of the thinner stuff also for working out the angles.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Makes sense, I bought 3 of the 2" sheets thinking I would try to cut it in to triangles to fill the hull (this may cause too much waste so I am still pondering it).

I had a busy weeked but I was able to stop over and pick up an "aluminum boat repair kit" locally from West Marine. Has anyone ever used one of these kits before? It is an epoxy seam sealing kit that is a 3 parts system. It comes with a syringe to help inject it in to the seams and the direction say that you can use a propane torch (or hair dryer) to warm up the seams to expand them before using this product.

I thought I would give it a chance, even thought I dont have any real leaks (other than the hook in the front for securing it to the trailer).

Here is a link to the product. http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=14865&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50218&subdeptNum=50219&classNum=50220

North Beach

Commander

Here's a youtube video of the application. Looks to me pretty much to be the same thing as Gluvit just a smaller application?

I think I would still be trying to re-buck first. And if you have any missing rivets, this product isn't going to help. And FYI, go very easy on heating the aluminum so you don't warp anything.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a youtube video of the application. Looks to me pretty much to be the same thing as Gluvit just a smaller application?

I think I would still be trying to re-buck first. And if you have any missing rivets, this product isn't going to help. And FYI, go very easy on heating the aluminum so you don't warp anything.

After reading about it yesterday I am pretty sure it is a similar product to Gluvit.

When we were power washing the inside of the boat I was underneath looking for leaks, I didn't find any leaks, missing rivets or loose rivets.

The only place where water was exiting the boat was the metal loop on the bow, I thought I would coat the seams with something as a precaution since I have ready access while the deck is out. And also repair the leaky tow loop.

I also intend on installing a bilge pump, as far as I can tell the boat never had one before?

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would really like to put a below deck fuel tank in my boat, but I thought it would be too expensive and perhaps difficult for a first timer like me. But then I just ran accross this today, I know that ad is about a month old but he might still have it lying around?

My question is: Do you think I could fit this in the bow of my 16' SS? the dimensions don't seem too large, I am going to have to take some measurements tonight to see. The PO has a couple 6 gallon metal tanks for under the splashwell, but putting that weight in bow would be better (or so I think).

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Do you think I could fit this in the bow of my 16' SS?

Back to factory configuration, nope, I'm about 99% sure it won't work.

But, if you ran some custom work up there at the bow I think you could run that. It would be nice to get the weight up there.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Back to factory configuration, nope, I'm about 99% sure it won't work.

But, if you ran some custom work up there at the bow I think you could run that. It would be nice to get the weight up there.

I had a feeling that would be the case, I really want to try and use the factory aluminum seat support (seems like the best way to preserve the most seating up there). I would need a really odd shaped tank. In order to put fuel up there it would have to be a quadrododecahedral or some other really big word :facepalm:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

I would need a really odd shaped tank. In order to put fuel up there

Yah, or a pair of real small ones for the hatches up there. In the 16' SS, it's kinda tough to find a better location for fuel tanks besides under the splashwell.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Over the weekend I cut the 3/4 " 4X8 sheet of MDO down to 5 1/2' and the ripped it in to two pieces and glued it together for the transom. I have seen pictures that showed a lot of glue coming from between the sheets and mine didn't? I hope I put enough glue on it? if not I think I am going to cut the transom from the template and then reglue if necessary. I'm hoping to get the transom installed soon.

Okay, last night I was able to get all of the foam cut and placed for the boat. The 1" was small enough to slide under the rails that go from front to back (bow to stern?). I have a few pieces to fill in at the front but I believe it is pretty well packed in the rest of the boat.

Sorry it was getting dark and I didn't snap any pics, but I'll get some soon. I put the 1/2" MDO sheets on top of the foam to keep it from blowing away, its supposed to be pretty rainy here on Wednesday. When I pull the MDO to cut the deck I will make sure to snap some pics.

I am really trying to take advantage of this cooler weather, fall in Colorado is pretty sweet I must say. I'm hoping to make some good progress over the weekend. Happy Tuesday to everyone.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, you'll want some squeeze out all around between the 2 plys. That way you KNOW it's a water tight seal all around eh.

Ah man, fall in Colorado, awesome:D