1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

KING RAT

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

It should be a nice engine I have same ... don't worry .

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Did you ever figure out if you were going to keep those particle boards to installation or use them as fancy templates?
SMG

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have decided that I am indeed going to use the OSB for the panels. I sealed them up with Spar Urethane (several coats), and just finished wrapping them in vinyl last weekend. I have a feeling that people will disagree with my decision, but I live in a VERY dry region and if the panels become a problem I will replace them down the road. I am working on a fairly tight budget and just cant justify another $200 on MDO right now... I consider myself warned, and will deal with the consequences should they arise.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

UHMMM when installing the Drain tube, once the tube starts to flare i remove the one end, flip it so the flat end is facing the transom and then tighten it down t finish setting the flare. This gives the length needed on the threads. You Might need to flip both of the flaring adapters and use something to hold the bolt somewhat centered in the tube. Just an FYI
Flaringtool.jpg

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Guys, I have been working away on my little boat, I just haven't had much time to update this. I have all the panels sealed and wrapped in vinyl. That part has been done for a couple weeks. Last weekend I worked on sanding and painting the aluminum panels that go on the interior. There are a total of four of them, The seat support for the bow seating, the two consoles and the splashwell. I primed them last weekend with rusto self etching primer, and this weekend I am painting them with rusto pro safety blue (happens to match nearly perfect). I am going to have to wait awhile to paint the splashwell, I just sealed a seam with 5200 (the bottle says 7 days to cure).

Here are some pics of the painting,

Happy Memorial Day weekend everyone,

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

850 - I see you have a rare tree in your backyard. A Tinnie Console tree, a very endangered species. :lol:

Looking good, buddy. :D

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

850 - I see you have a rare tree in your backyard. A Tinnie Console tree, a very endangered species. :lol:

Looking good, buddy. :D

Thanks GA, trick is not painting the trunk blue in the process.

jbcurt00

Staff member

As I understand horticulture & forestry*, the Blue Tin Console tree is a much more rare & valuable wood source :D Highly sought after for dash & gunwale accents.

Probably should keep your address & your tree's location protected from IM's buzz saw. He'd likely do it proud, but in Canakistan..... Nobody would want to see that, at least not on this side of the border :usa2:

All looks good. The blue is a great shade.

*Not much at all actually..........

GA_Boater

Thanks GA, trick is not painting the trunk blue in the process.

Why? When I was a kid the year before last :)eek:), My Dad and all the neighbors would whitewash the trees about 5' up. I figure Rusto Pro Safely Blue is the new whitewash. :)

dozerII

Admiral

It's no wonder you guys have so many Starcrafts down there, they grow on trees.:D Looking good 850, that's the same color and paint on I used on the 201's trailer.

GA_Boater

It's no wonder you guys have so many Starcrafts down there, they grow on trees.:D Looking good 850, that's the same color and paint on I used on the 201's trailer.

Dozer, for a small fee we might arrange to smuggle some up north. We have SS's, Chieftains, and small Islanders. Working on the big Islander. :lol::lol:

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I did some wet sanding yesterday and then put another coat on them. They look much smoother now.

There is a seam on the splashwell that looked pretty bad, so I put a bead of 5200 on it. hopefully I can get that piece painted next weekend (or sooner).

Glad to be making some progress, I'm still hoping to get this thing on the water this summer. I might start a "refresh" thread on the Thunderbolt sometime in the next couple weeks too. :D

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I also have a small broken triangular shaped wing window on the left console. I took the glass over to a local shop and the replacement piece should be done today!!! I can't wait to put the consoles together and have this boat look like a boat again.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another quick update, The Starcraft tree is growing a freshly painted splashwell. I also got my replacement glass back from the shop this week. I was also looking at my trailer, I'm hoping to get it cleaned up sometime soon.

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend,

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Good Stuff... Wow, your across-the-street neighbor has some serious solar panels in use...

Boat looks great! Keep on plugging.

GA_Boater

Hey 850 - Do you think your tree could grow me some gunnels with less holes? Or is it an SS tree only? :)

S/W looks good. Did you use the taped glass for a pattern? You have a nice, long tongue on the trailer.

And yeah, your neighbor has some serious solar, Wow!

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry GA, its a SS tree only. Yeah, when he put those panels up I didn't like the looks (but I'm getting use to it). The taped glass is the broken panel I taped it up so they could use it for a template. Today is looking bad for boat progress, too many other priorities. I was really hoping that I could get the consoles back in the boat. I was able to get the boat and popup camper reversed on the side yard so I can get in the boat. Maybe tomorrow night I can make some more progress.