1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

Sorry, yes the trusses run toward the single garage door. We hung the boat temporarily from the trusses (successfully). No creaks or squeaks or impending doom. We took the trailer out and then placed the weight on some old tires. Everything worked out great. Here are a few pictures.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just got done ordering two 4" bow rollers, and three 12" keel rollers, and a 6 gallon fuel tank (with gauge).

The bunks are

and the side guides are

I think I am going to go with something a little cheaper than "bunk" carpet, I'm going to go to home depot tomorrow and see what they have for outdoor carpet (hopefully not green).

Hope everyone had a nice weekend.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, Home Depot and Lows will have good budget friendly options for bunk carpet.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Almost all carpet today is plastic. Just don't get any shag (unless you're going hippie) or berber (the pile pulls out if it's snagged), short pile outdoor carpet is better. I use galvanized roofing nails, hold better than staples with the larger head and you know if the nail has gone into the wood unlike staples.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yah, Home Depot and Lows will have good budget friendly options for bunk carpet.

Thanks man, I hope I can find something not too expensive. I have two 5' bunks underneath, and two 4' bunks on the sides. depending on the width of the rolls, I think I can get away with very little carpet.

The H-D stuff is what I used and I am very happy with it...bottom feeder pricing...
Here is a link to my trailer refurbish...
http://forums.iboats.com/trailers-towing/budget-bunks-535771.html
Hope this helps...:)

Great information GT, I might try to go from 2x4 bunks to 2x6 PT bunks. I'm going to look underneath it tonight to make sure I wouldn't have any issue with the extra width. Great information, thanks for the link. I also really like the beveled edges, I may have to find a router and give that a shot?

Almost all carpet today is plastic. Just don't get any shag (unless you're going hippie) or berber (the pile pulls out if it's snagged), short pile outdoor carpet is better. I use galvanized roofing nails, hold better than staples with the larger head and you know if the nail has gone into the wood unlike staples.

No hippie shag, got it!! I like the idea of roofing nails. I might try to avoid glue, I think it would hold pretty good and be easier to repair down the road.

Last edited:

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought 11' of dark grey rubber backed outdoor runner carpet (26" wide, pretty heavy duty), a box of 1" galvanized roofing nails and two 10' pressure treated 2 X 4's at HD. I guess I'm not going to go with 2 X 6's, just going to replace what was original on the trailer. Grand total $41.

The only thing left to do is get a rewiring kit for the trailer and paint, and of course actually do the work... :laugh: Tonight I'm going to get the old bunks and rollers off the trailer and start getting it ready for paint.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was able to get the bunks and rollers off the trailer tonight. I cut the new bunks and have them laying out to dry up a bit. It's pretty clear that this trailer is in desperate need of a decent paint job.

null.jpg

null-1.jpg

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

It is a bit more work, but rounding over the edges of the wood does a couple things...
It helps prevent premature wear from the hull rubbing and it aids in stretching the carpet nice and tight...
You can hit them with a router with a 1/4" round over bit or knock the edges off with a belt sander or a grinder with a sanding disc...
I also doubled up the carpet on just the leading edge of the bunks, where the hull first makes contact when getting loaded...I just glued an extra square just big enough to cover the end, then covered the entire bunk...I really don't know if in the long run it will help a great deal, but I figured it couldn't hurt...
Another tip is to install the bowed side of the wood in the up position, as they settle with the weight of the hull the will flatten out...
A down and dirty tip to keep from having to completely eliminate all the rust from the trailer and get it ready for paint is to use "OSPHO"...Ospho Rust Treatment - Since 1947
It will chemically convert the rust [iron oxide] to iron phosphate and allow you to cover it with a good sealing primer, then paint...obviously it won't leave a very smooth finish due to pitting from the rust, but from 20 feet away it will look great.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Rounded edge and rust converter, I'm on it. Bow side up too. I figured I would do a little sanding, but I'm not terribly concerned about having a glass smooth surface on the trailer... Really hoping to get to the painting part this weekend, and have the boat back on next weekend.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Do you have a compressor and guns to paint the trailer?

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do you have a compressor and guns to paint the trailer?

Yes, I have an HVLP (Harbor Freight) gun and a really nice Dewalt Compressor. I just haven't attempted to use it yet... I don't have access to a paint booth and I'm a bit chicken I might accidentally paint the side of my neighbors house speckled.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Nah..I don't think you'll have any problems with overspray unless you don't use common sense and paint on a windy day. Just put it out over a tarp and paint away. I use a 4:1:1 mixture on just about everything I paint. Trailers, tractors, boats, all get the same treatment at my house. Plenty good for a trailer at my house. (4:1:1) = 4Parts paint / 1 Part thinner of your choice / 1 part hardener (if using hardener make sure you have the proper mask!

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nah..I don't think you'll have any problems with overspray unless you don't use common sense and paint on a windy day. Just put it out over a tarp and paint away. I use a 4:1:1 mixture on just about everything I paint. Trailers, tractors, boats, all get the same treatment at my house. Plenty good for a trailer at my house. (4:1:1) = 4Parts paint / 1 Part thinner of your choice / 1 part hardener (if using hardener make sure you have the proper mask!

I'm going to do it, I watched a couple youtube videos yesterday and now I'm feeling more confident. Hey why not right???

This is a review of the gun I have. Harbor Freight HVLP Spray Gun Review (Central Pneumatic #47016) - YouTube

I want to make sure that I'm using the right mixture for the final color, but I think I am going to rattle can the primer. I'll probably use a rustoleum product for the rust converter and primer (maybe the final color too).

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is the exact on I use.. It's so cheap it's almost a disposable gun! heehee

Maybe I'll just toss it in the trash instead of cleaning it? Just kidding, but yeah way too cheap to be useful long term.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

How long do you think this SS is? I think it's a 19', which would be quite an upgrade over 16'. Paint scheme seems very similar and the price is pretty good too. Nice Starcraft boat need gone ASAP

jbcurt00

Staff member

Closed bow, so I don't think its an SS, but it could be an open bow if you want it to be......

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

You'll find all of the following helpful...

HVLP Spray Gun Setup

Preval 9 oz. Complete Spray Gun-267 at The Home Depot

"Paint Your Boat for Under $100 Bucks...Well Almost"

The Preval sprayer is very good for small jobs. The power unit is good for about 3 bottles of paint which is the equivalent of 3-4 cans of spray paint. 6 oz of regular paint costs about $1.50 as opposed to $3.80 for a can of spray paint. For $5 bucks it's a great investment and you can spray any liquid with it including Gelcoat. I think you would save a lot of money by using it rather than rattle cans. The HF sprayer will work well but with a small compressor it does not work so well on larger paint jobs. Prolly be ok for a trailer. How many gallons is your compressor?

Last edited: