1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

No update, no progress. Feeling like a slug, thought I should tell the world. haha. anyway, hopefully get to the boat this weekend? I just wanted to let you guys know I'm still around watching everyone else make progress...

My roll of vinyl did show up!! and I'm hoping to get some sanding done on my panels. I'm going to get those drain tubes installed ASAP. I'll send pics of course.

Happy Holidays fellow boat people.

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

No update, no progress. Feeling like a slug, thought I should tell the world. haha. anyway, hopefully get to the boat this weekend? I just wanted to let you guys know I'm still around watching everyone else make progress...

My roll of vinyl did show up!! and I'm hoping to get some sanding done on my panels. I'm going to get those drain tubes installed ASAP. I'll send pics of course.

Happy Holidays fellow boat people.

Merry Christmas

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Personally I would never use OSB in boat construction. But..if you coat the OSB with 3-4 coats of epoxy and maintain an protect your boat well, it should hold up pretty well. Just make sure that anytime you drill into the deck you Always coat the holes and screws/bolts with epoxy as well.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Personally I would never use OSB in boat construction. But..if you coat the OSB with 3-4 coats of epoxy and maintain an protect your boat well, it should hold up pretty well. Just make sure that anytime you drill into the deck you Always coat the holes and screws/bolts with epoxy as well.

Thanks WOG, I'll make sure that I seal them appropriately. I understand the concern, but I feel like it will hold up ok for my purposes. Colorado is very dry and it will be a weekend boat that gets used a dozen times a year. Thanks for the concern, and if it doesn't hold up I'll give you guys "I told you so" rights. Hope this doesn't get me excommunicated.

Last edited:

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its been pretty cold here, no progress to speak of. I thought I would check in and say Happy New Year everyone!! Soon I will get those darn splashwell drains installed :facepalm:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Its been pretty cold here, no progress to speak of. I thought I would check in and say Happy New Year everyone!! Soon I will get those darn splashwell drains installed :facepalm:

Colorado in January, cold, seems I've heard that before. If you are so inclined, enjoy the powder via snowboard, snow skis, snow cat, snowmobile etc... :smow: :snowman:

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finally had a nice weekend and I was able to get my two splashwell drains installed. The tool I borrowed worked great (except I broke the bolt).

IMG_0687_zps1e1bc0bc.jpg

I think I ran out of threads and then stripped the the bolt by over turning it (had to cut it off). The reason that I had to overturn the bolt is because my holes were not exactly 90 degrees to the transom, and it didn't want seat perfect.

Anyway, I ran down to Ace and bought a number 8 bolt to replace it and 4 really thick washers to extend the compression distance of the tool.

IMG_0688_zpse22aeb0e.jpg

We also put all of the stainless screws back in across the bottom of the transom and put the aluminum cap back on. Here is one of the drain tubes installed.

IMG_0690_zps446c598d.jpg

I have been slacking a bit on this project, but I am resolved to have a useable boat by this summer. So expect progress (more talking to myself here, pep talk and such).

Cheers fellows

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

Nice install on the drain tube... looks good (even though you broke the magical flange tool). Jas is a wildman who cuts up boats for fun in his spare time (hopefully he won't be angry).... Just kidding... (sort of).

Glad to see you back on it.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

All fixed now, guess I dont know my own strength (eh hemm) :D should have seen the cheater bars I was using!! Check your PM, I don't have an address for Jas (lost the slip you sent with the tool). Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

So you busted Jason's tool. :smash: Tsk,tsk. Maybe the transom was just a little thinner. But it worked and it's all fixed up.

Sent you a PM, 850.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

The second drain tube was perfect, the bolt threads only go down to about 2 1/2" and my transom is 1 1/2" Not trying to geek out on this one, but I just needed more washers...

photo_zps647adb23.jpg

Thanks for the info GA, I don't know what the policy is on broken bolts but...

BottomDrawer_zps1fc9b322.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Looks great man, pro!

Yah, my transom was a full 2" plus the transom skin. I didn't even think about the bolt threading being too short, eh.

Sweet:moon:

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Nice work on the drains. I have the same tool, works great!

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, glad to have made some sort of progress.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Great job & shouldn't be any more broken bolts w/ a grade 8..... Upgraded :D

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am officially done with my MBA (WOOOHOOO), and now I have time to get back in to my project boat.

The panels that I cut are all sealed up and ready to wrap in vinyl, I just didn't post anything about it. I'm hoping that I can make some progress on it this weekend (I'll put up pics).

I'm going over to Home Depot today at lunch to see if they have any ZC for the aluminum panels I want to paint. I'm hoping to get some prep done this weekend too. I really like the carpet gun wales that someone did (stealing it), sorry I can't remember the name or I would give credit for sure :facepalm:. So I don't think I'll paint the topside.

Anyway, my apologies for not posting in awhile, but I'm psyched to have the degree completed.

GA_Boater

So education is more important than working on your boat? I feel your priorities need fine tuned. LOL

Congrats on the MBA, 850. A big milestone, now get to work on the other one and post some pics. :D

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks GA, I worked on the boat this weekend (felt good) and I was able to get all of the wood body panels covered in the white vinyl I picked up. I'll take some pictures tonight and post them up.

I bought a truck to tow the boat (and camper/motorcycles) with. It's a 1995 F250 4X4 Extended Cab with the 460, pretty much overkill for a 16' aluminum boat, but it was a pretty sweet deal. I also really like the body style and durability it offers. It has 117K on it, for $3400, no rust and the paint even looks good.

I'll post up some pics tomorrow for sure.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, seems like I lied about the pics, haven't been able to take any... We are currently getting the 5-10 inches of snow we were promised. I'll get them soon for sure.

GA_Boater

Yeah, yeah - Starting another month with no pics. :faint2: Winter won't go away this year. :eek: