1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1976 Starcraft Supersport 16'

I'm still here, but I spent the last month working on a major service for my R1150RT. Strange how priorities change, I was hoping to get this on the water this year. Its looking more and more like it will be done by the spring. My time is now freed up and I'm going to work it this weekend, I'll have an update early next week.

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer

Just finished reading all eight pages and want to say thanks for sharing your restoration and photos. My wife and I purchased a 1973 Starcraft 16SS and are studying information prior to starting our resto process. Lots of good information herein from the "crew" that will prove usefull. These projects always take longer than originally planned for (don't ask me about the time spent building RC aircraft LOL) but once it's done correctly you are good to go to the water for some well earned fun. Will be following along as you progress. Have fun with your Starcraft!

Here is a link to my thread: http://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-...rsport-16ft-restoration-questions-616012.html

Safe boating,

Joe

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

850, Boy do I understand the TIME thing. I thought I'd have my boat "On the Water" in a couple of months and it took me 2 1/2 years. Funny how "LIFE" always has a way of getting in the way!!!!:eek: Hang in there buddy, you'll be on the lake having fun before you know it!!!

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Okay, I got the boat dusted off and was able to get the splash well re-installed yesterday. I was also able to get the two console frames installed. I reassembled my broken window and next weekend (fingers crossed) I'll get that part done too. Here are a few pictures.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is the reason for my recent boat ADD. I did a major service on it over the past month (new tires, brakes, brake system bleed, alternator belt, fuel filter, air filter, plugs, valve adjustments, etc...) but I'm feeling much better now :D

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer

Nice progress, and thanks again for the photos. They will be quite useful when I start my resto work.

Safe boating,

Joe

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks WOG, I am really enjoying the BMW. It is light years more sophisticated than my 1983 GW.

Thanks Joe, I believe that this project is approaching the 1 year mark.

Last night I was able to get the new glass back inside the frame (without breaking it), and I picked up some 1/4" X 3/4" foam tape to put between the windshield and the consoles. I'm really hoping to get the glass installed this weekend, I'll update with pictures.

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer

One year isn't too long considering all the work you have put into your boat, with everything else you have accomplished. Once you get that window framework installed you will feel like it's all coming together. If you listen closely you may even hear the lake calling...

Safe boating,

Joe

Last edited:

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

So here is what I started with on Saturday.

And here is where I ended up. Kyle was incredibly helpful, we must have put 6-8 hours in on this together this weekend.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Looking really good and a huge tip of the hat to your faithful assistant...great job, guys!
You are getting closer...

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

And here is the transom work that we got done.

This thing looks a bit different with the cover on it now, kinda looks like it might float?

Thanks for the encouraging words, it has been very helpful in keeping my focused.

To do list...

dashes (guages, steering wheel)
throttle controls
wiring
water pump impeller
carb check
lower unit service
seats
cushions for the bow
mount O/B, installed hydraulics for power tilt.

Need to purchase fuel tank, fuel lines, hand primer, battery (or two).

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

:thumb: With the cover on she looks water ready. Hint - Put something on the top of the windshield (towel, split pool noodle) so the sharp corners don't cut the cover. Don't ask how I learned that. :mad: If you did that already, never mind.

Last edited:

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

:thumb: With the cover on she looks water ready. Hint - Put something on the top of the windshield (towel, split pool noodle) so the sharp corners don't cut the cover. Don't ask how I learned that. :mad: If you did that already, never mind.

Thanks for the heads up. I noticed it was putting quite a bit of strain, so I put leather gloves over the two points... I like the pool noodle idea, I'm going to have to split one and set it up there.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Nice work. Able bodied assistants are often hard to find...

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

He did a really good job, in fact he drilled most of the holes this weekend. We even got to run over to Ace Hardware and get some free popcorn (and stainless washers).

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have a question for you guys.

We are going to take the boat off the trailer on Sunday and do some rehab work (paint, rollers, bunks, wiring, new tow strap, etc..) and I want to hang the boat in the garage to help remove it from the trailer. I am thinking of using the rafters in the garage to hang the back of the boat in the air an inch or two above the trailer to slowly slide it out. Then close the door (partially) and strap the front to the rafters as well. I figure the boat will stay in the garage for a couple weeks, and I do intend on taking some of the load off the rafters by using some old tires to take the brunt of it for the two weeks.

My question is: Do you think there will be any issues with the rafters supporting the weight?

I thought of buying a couple longer 2X4's to use as posts, but I just wasn't sure if that would be overkill or not... My guess is that the whole boats weights no more than about 600 or 700 pounds as it sits (just a guess).

jbcurt00

Staff member

Depends on how your garage lid was constructed. If it's pre-fab trusses, I definitely wouldn't hang the boat from 1 or 2 rafters...

What size rafters? Probably 2X8/2X10/2X12 if not pre-fab

If pre-fab they may be 2X3/2X4 or 2X6/2X8 lower cords....

Do you have access to the top of the lower cord of the rafter (trusses or dimensional lumber?)

Truss.jpg

You'll back the boat into the garage thru the roll up door. Then do the rafter's run front to back parallel to the direction your pushing the boat, or do they run left & right perpendicular to the boat?

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the garage ceiling, they are prefabbed trusses (2X4 construction). I was thinking that I would get the straps as close to the header as possible and try to be gentle. I am also going to have 4-6 guys helping me move it, I may not need to put too much weight on them? Suggestions?

jbcurt00

Staff member

The trusses run towards the roll up door, correct? And sit above the roll up garage door headers, right?