1976 22' SUS O/B "Hydration Break"

junkman306

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes I am also paranoid about a lot of things going wrong and ruining the project. But you also need to balance that with having a good plan and executing the best you can.

I also thought about what you are commenting on and my rationale was that the foam boards that are laying flat on the sides are not resting flat on metal but are suspended just enough by sitting on the side of either rib plus the rivet tails of the chine rivets. I figured that would be just enough space to let it drain and dry. Hope I am right but can't go back now.

As far as the windshield I assume it is aluminum but really not sure it's just stock for this era SuperSport.

I'm actually also planning to cut off the long windshield side arm and bolt through the side window to my riser to support it
I can't seem to get all of the dirt and debris out of the ribs. I keep flushing the drain channel in the middle of the ribs and they keep clogging. Lol. And all it is doing is sitting in the driveway. You are probably right though. I'll never get it done if I don't trust the process. I assume what you are calling the windshield is what I am calling the console frame?

MNhunter1

Ensign
I can't seem to get all of the dirt and debris out of the ribs. I keep flushing the drain channel in the middle of the ribs and they keep clogging. Lol. And all it is doing is sitting in the driveway. You are probably right though. I'll never get it done if I don't trust the process. I assume what you are calling the windshield is what I am calling the console frame?
Pressure washer and/or air compressor to blow out the ribs. Use a hacksaw blade to keep the drain channels clear. Just keep hitting it over and over again.

MNhunter1

Ensign
And I got the Nautolex put down just last night. Ran out of adhesive so need to get another can to finish just the tip of the bow.

View attachment 386515
How many cans of adhesive did it take for the big girl? I was thinking I could get by with two for my 18'r, but don't want to run short. Can't recall what I used on my other builds.

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
I believe watermann gave the advice of running a magnet along each rib to help clean them out. Cant tell you how much ferrous metal I found that was lodged in there. After that they flushed out quite well.

DWbaseball

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pressure washer and/or air compressor to blow out the ribs. Use a hacksaw blade to keep the drain channels clear. Just keep hitting it over and over again.
Agree with this. I have been cleaning my rib channels continuously since my teardown. I used a bent butter knife as the tool for the channels, and have been blowing the pressure washer down either side of the ribs.

I think the advice above about using the magnet for this purpose is genius and I wish I had gotten that one earlier.

DWbaseball

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How many cans of adhesive did it take for the big girl? I was thinking I could get by with two for my 18'r, but don't want to run short. Can't recall what I used on my other builds.
I bought four cans of 3m 80 adhesive for this thinking that way I was covered and could return 1-2 of them as extras....... I promptly sprayed down all four and I have had to go back for a fifth thats waiting to finish the last 1-2 feet on the bow. Not my most cost effective material choice for sure but Watermann said he used it and I am happy with how it went down and turned out so I'm calling it a win and moving on

DWbaseball

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Its been a slow month of boat work but I realized I should attach some update pics. The day that I got the most work done I forgot to stop and take good pictures so here is what I got.

My wooden riser immediately had splitting so I ended up building a new one out of aluminum and I've also now gotten both console frames installed with similar aluminum risers.

IMG_20230812_160854384.jpg
IMG_20230813_162003888.jpgIMG_20230813_162016822_HDR.jpgIMG_20230813_163517372.jpgIMG_20230921_133119523.jpg

Also I moved the boat to the new trailer, then worked to get the bunks adjusted and tight. IMG_20230919_190832828_HDR.jpgIMG_20230921_133139784.jpg
Just sold the old trailer last night for a little cash! The wife will be happy to no longer have a second trailer in the driveway.

Chances of a 2023 splash are decreasing but happy with the work completed.

Last edited:

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Agree with 3/4 being the way to go. Much sturdier then 1/2. As for the end grain sucking in water, its really hard to seal those areas. Don't know how effective the Rustoleom will be, but with the Nautolex covering it should help prevent additional.

SHSU
I seal voids like this with 5200 and wrap over with nautolex

DWbaseball

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You're right about those corners. I have some old kitchen towels that I've been using to cover the corners usually to soften the points.

DWbaseball

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Let's Go Phillies! Red October is here.

Couldn't get these console pics uploaded from Wednesday. Have both cut and primed and starting paint. IMG_20231004_115508430.jpg
IMG_20231004_115458758.jpg

Then today was a big workday. Got the splashwell installed as well as the various things underneath. Two bilge pump exits, one new, the gas vent hose fitting, and a stern light port. Also cut hole for a new gas fill fitting and installed the steering cable boot.
IMG_20231008_173440832.jpgIMG_20231008_173507897.jpgIMG_20231008_173537670.jpg

Tired but really happy with how it came out today.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
Lots of open floor space!

I'm thinking the pictures don't do the size justice. (y)

DWbaseball

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes I am hoping to land some big fish on my wide open deck! Definitely didn't want a 16ss when I was searching due to space concerns.

My uncle had a whaler dual console 19 and now a new Grady 21 which are both great. But, I am thinking I am going to like the extra space to move around, even with the big splashwell back there.

DWbaseball

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I better attach some new pics since I'm here. Got these console fronts installed last week.
IMG_20231022_183205081.jpgIMG_20231022_183213612.jpgIMG_20231022_183217748.jpg

Then I started working on the metal frame for the bow seats. Since my consoles aren't even and it was all bent up, I cut it apart and I am riveting back together plus reinforcement. Pics to come.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Yes I am hoping to land some big fish on my wide open deck! Definitely didn't want a 16ss when I was searching due to space concerns.
We always want a couple more feet.... lol

SHSU

DWbaseball

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I am lucky to have scored this 22ft hull and even though it's been a lot of work (and $$) I am hoping that thoroughness that I am putting into the build is going to mean that I'll get a lot of good years of use out of it once complete.

I do wonder if I would have been done and on the water by now if I had an 18 foot. Then I remember the big water I'll be able to tackle if needed.

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Enjoying your WIP thread and had to chuckle at the last post. You wonder about an 18’ boat to get on the water faster and yours is 22’. I have wondered, whether or not, if we should have purchased an 18’ boat instead of the 16’ we are restoring. Lots of large lakes around here and then there is Lake Michigan about 30 minutes away. Hope our “little one” will do the job for us. 🙂

Safe boating,
Joe

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
I'm already dreaming about finding that elusive 26ft islander!
I don't think they made those into the 90's, I'm not seeing it as an option on the brochure in 95.
so probably a mid 80's thing? :p

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
We take our SS16 out a couple miles to the end of the Jettys in the Gulf of Mexico. Have to pick our days but loads of fun. I just wish I had space for a bigger hull. Requirement I had was to fit in the garage so I didn't have to pay for storage....

SHSU