1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

dozerII

Admiral
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Slowly but surely, looking good Jason can hardly wait to see her in color.

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Oh, getting so close...
You can almost smell the paint fumes and fresh sea air from the Great Lakes...
Really nice looking color progress.
:D

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

^

In Canada the water already turned hard, and in winipeg everyone is already living in that underground mall thing kuz it's so cold, if they go above ground... flash frozen they get eh! (or am I just a week early? :) )

But that underground mall was really cool, it was fun to pop up and see where in the city we ended up (like a ground hog, or something else fury and warm that lives underground).... :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

You guys and your silly splash talk, ah sheesh, I still have so far to go!:facepalm:

Budski - yup, painted up the bottom waaaayyyyyyy back here...

http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...t-islander-rebuild-369247-98.html#post3058537

I'm really hoping to get these hull sides painted up this week and then the window frames/patches done over the weekend. That's the goal anyway.

As you guys know, I got that Evinrude 15 all set for my kicker. But, lately, I have been dreaming (drooling) about...

FourStroke9-9ProKicker.jpg

Would be a sweet match to my Mercruiser eh:thumb:

There's one for sale locally but holy moly, sooooooo $$$$$$

Cheers fellas:becky:

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

Not even the king of the bottom feeders society could muster up the suction to pull one of those up on the cheap. A awesome match it would be though.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Well, you'll just have to get creative, very very creative in fact, to figure out a way to make the Merc 9.9 bottom feeder priced.

He need any firewood? :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Not even the king of the bottom feeders society could muster up the suction to pull one of those up on the cheap. A awesome match it would be though.

Well, you'll just have to get creative, very very creative in fact, to figure out a way to make the Merc 9.9 bottom feeder priced.

He need any firewood? :)

Yah, I hear that. To pull it off I'd need to sell a whole bunch of stuff. If I sold the Mirro Craft and the Evinrude I still wouldn't even be 1/2 way there!

Probably the biggest advantage that Pro Kicker has is the ultra sweet T&T, love that!

That would be a great advantage during cold weather fishing - I would otherwise have to climb out onto the swim platform to tilt it up ya know.

Last edited:

budski

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Jason, guess I missed that post thought I saw all your thread, that's the way I'll have to go on mine the windshield and interior are done so I can't turn it over.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander

Nice kicker, but part of the bottom feeding is the hunting ;)

I picked up one of these for $40 last year, and boating related things are $$ around here...
side2-Mercury-9.8-hp-Outboa.jpg

sure that TNT would make it nice... but you have kids to be your tnt... :D

tgordon1234

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hello all, im new to this thread and new to the boat rehab hobby. i have been reading all about your progress hundreds of pages :) and i got to say your doing a hell of a nice job on her. i just bought a 77 islander in real similar condition to yours when you purchased it. trying to get ideas and im going through the "how the heck am i going to do all this" stuff mine has the 250 I6 merc in it doesnt run but turns over by hand (found stater locked up) the guy prior to me said he rebuilt the engine 3 years ago. i can see the head has been off (its shiny black the rest is rust color) the block is out of a chevy truck rebuilt with marine parts (so he said) entire floor is rotten all the front to back cabin and all transom is rotted real bad. i paid 400 for mine plus gas and a tire failure on the way home :) so i really paid 500$ this whole thread has been pretty inspiring i might be hitting all you guys up for ideas and pointers during the spring time.

CAM00077.jpgCAM00076.jpgCAM00075.jpgCAM00074.jpgCAM00073.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

segiroux

Cadet

Afternoon Jas!! So it took me two weeks to read through this whole thread but I have to say that every page was worth it. I have enjoyed every bit of the progress and all the things you have done. I LOVE Iboats forums and especially love finding threads like this. To see what you had been going through at the start of this project with your son and still worked on the boat. I cant speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure if that was me, my boat wouldnt be anywhere near where yours is now. LOL I would still probably be cleaning the snow (well dirt, I live in the middle of the mojave dessert) out. So glad to see that he is well and it makes me smile to see ALL the kids smiling faces in your pictures. I have no doubt that this boat will produce many many more smiling faces and many many more great pictures. Keep up the GREAT work.

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Dude,...........

Watch for a used after market trim and tilt,...

Neptune is one brand, They were bought out by Panther Marine which still makes them,..

CMC is another brand I am aware of,.......

My Evinrude guy gave me a Neptune 135 for nothing a few years ago,...I used it with my 40 horse,...

Trim and tilt can be had at bottom feeder prices,..........

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My buddy has that kicker setup on his Islander. It's pretty sweet. He pretty well stole a newer 4 stroke Merc 9.9 with TnT off ebay. I believe it's mounted on a Panther bracket and can be steered by the main motor. Works awesome.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

sure that TNT would make it nice... but you have kids to be your tnt...

Yah, that Tilt would be mucho appreciated on those cold days! (By the kiddos too;))

hello all, im new to this thread and new to the boat rehab hobby. i have been reading all about your progress hundreds of pages :) and i got to say your doing a hell of a nice job on her. i just bought a 77 islander in real similar condition to yours when you purchased it.

Hey Gordon, welcome to the Islander thread man! Congrats on your new (old) big tub:joyous: The guys around here are really awesome and will no doubt help keep you bumping along on your project. They have been a HUGE help to me along the way:thumb:

Afternoon Jas!! So it took me two weeks to read through this whole thread but I have to say that every page was worth it. I have enjoyed every bit of the progress and all the things you have done. I LOVE Iboats forums and especially love finding threads like this. To see what you had been going through at the start of this project with your son and still worked on the boat. I cant speak for everyone, but I'm pretty sure if that was me, my boat wouldnt be anywhere near where yours is now. LOL I would still probably be cleaning the snow (well dirt, I live in the middle of the mojave dessert) out. So glad to see that he is well and it makes me smile to see ALL the kids smiling faces in your pictures. I have no doubt that this boat will produce many many more smiling faces and many many more great pictures. Keep up the GREAT work.

Howdy seg! You read the whole thing eh, wow!!! That is a long haul, well, welcome aboard and thanks for the kind words man:becky:

Dude,...........

Watch for a used after market trim and tilt,...

Neptune is one brand, They were bought out by Panther Marine which still makes them,..

CMC is another brand I am aware of,.......

My Evinrude guy gave me a Neptune 135 for nothing a few years ago,...I used it with my 40 horse,...

Trim and tilt can be had at bottom feeder prices,..........

Yah teamster, all good ideas that I have been kicking around too. Having it all in one package like in the Pro Kicker would be pretty sweet, but what a price:embarassed:

He pretty well stole a newer 4 stroke Merc 9.9 with TnT off ebay.

Well, that ^^^^ is what I am kinda hoping for. It's the right time of the year to be looking too, so, I have some hope anyway.

OK, the hull is all taped and tarped, the temps are perfect and the humidity is low. That hull color should be on within a day or two, looking forward to it!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

hello all, im new to this thread and new to the boat rehab hobby. i have been reading all about your progress hundreds of pages :) and i got to say your doing a hell of a nice job on her. i just bought a 77 islander in real similar condition to yours when you purchased it. trying to get ideas and im going through the "how the heck am i going to do all this" stuff mine has the 250 I6 merc in it doesnt run but turns over by hand (found stater locked up) the guy prior to me said he rebuilt the engine 3 years ago.

Well now I see someone from the C List SC thread found this same Islander that Bluefin posted and you said was a super bottom feeder special.

Funny how these things work out... and the guy did throw in the milk crate to boot!

http://forums.iboats.com/starcraft-boats/starcraft-c-list-ebay-428279-267.html#post4383178

Last edited:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, I went and saw this Pro Kicker in person today....

Mercury 2013 FourStroke 9.9 ProKicker

Wow, is it super awesome!

At nearly $3K with tax, there is no way I can justify it. You guys would ban me from the bottom feeder club forever.

Bah:embarassed:

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

I'll give you my .02 about the new Merc 4-strokes. I had a 2013 20hp long w/ elec. start on my little boat b4 I sold it (paid $2330 otd, 5yr warrenty..no pwr tilt though).

It was awesome. You would not regret it.

850Merc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Big cheese for small hp. Doesn't quite seem right does it? but you could use it on all three boats... Just saying.

ShowMeGuy

Chief Petty Officer

Yo MANG!!! What was the rational for not painting that last bottom chine when you where doing the bottom paint again?

segiroux

Cadet

I dont know much about the kicker topic since I dont have the room for one on my boat but I did have some questions about the engine cover if its ok to bring that up. I noticed that you were looking to make some sort of hinged lid for the compartment. I know you put a drain on the oil pan when you fixed that, but wouldnt having a solid mounted iin, non removable base make it too hard to get to the drain plugs for the water passages for winterizing as well make it too hard to get to the oil filter and such? I dig the idea of making it hinged but I think it would be so much easire for maintenance if you made the whole thing removable somehow. Just my .02$