1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1976 22' Starcraft Islander Rebuild

Hmmm, I could say, "I bet I get my boat stripped and painted before you do!" :D

...but when you blow right past me and have all the paint AND woodwork done...I'll be all out of steam. :redface:

Whew, that was close. I almost thought you were going to challenge me right there!

And today...

I didn't do anything but look at other guys rigs here on iboats. Rained all day and I was full on daddy on duty.

Though, I did look at it from the window if that counts for anything.

Well, actually I did sell the old down riggers today which sure helps with the boat rebuild fund - so that is cool!

sprintst

Commander

It's a day to get some thinking done. Kind of nice to get a break every once and a while.

Take a day off and hit it twice as hard next time :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Ordered epoxy today! That is exciting!

I went with the US Composites 6.6 kit and a couple of pumps. I could not find a better deal out there and they seem to have a good reputation. The whole lot should be here probably on Monday. Till then, here is my short list...
  • prime the inside transom skin
  • paint the inside transom skin
  • clean my work shop, I can't even move in there let alone run my table saw
  • cut out the transom boards and prep them for the epoxy

That isn't too bad of a list but I have a lot going on this week and am running in a race this weekend with our youth group (gone all weekend) so this may be a challenge to complete. We'll give it a shot!

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I stood at the back of my transom and thought "OK, light sand, seal it up and paint".

And so here how that went...
P1010802.jpg

I will NOT be going down to bare aluminum on the rest of this hull!

Man
just looking at that makes me tired ;)

T

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well I didn't really get anything done on the rig last night except get it drained from all the rain we had.

I did do some buying and selling though.

Picked up a couple of cans of self etching primer and I ordered the Gluvit which is cool! I got the 8 lb. kit as I figured I got 4x the amount for 2x the price. Ordered from JMS Marine, couldn't beat the deal!

I did sell a bunch of gear off of eBay and clist over the past couple of days! What I sold should easily cover what I spent on Epoxy and Gluvit, WHOOOOPPPEEEEEE!:D

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yay for recoup'd costs! :D Sure makes things easier!!!!!

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Are you nervous about cutting the hole in the back? Looks too perty to cut up, don't it.

Measure 25 times cut once!:eek:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, how about no progress on the rig again, ah rats.

I did sell some more stuff today though! Financing on this tub is going very well!

But, I do still have one too many trailers....

Or....

Maybe I am short one boat....

Ah, what is a guy to do???

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, quick update...

I had some of this laying around...
P1010942.jpg

I had the transom primed...
P1010941.jpg

One light dusting...
P1010943.jpg

And two...
P1010944.jpg

And three...
P1010945.jpg

I really didn't spray that down other than to provide a simple base coat. I can't believe that some guys spray their whole boat that way (rattle can). I think I remember EZ doing that on one of his rigs, whew. Man that would take a long time and a lot of cans on a big barge like this!

A quick note...

TS asked earlier if it had scratched up the aluminum badly. I said nope not really. Now that I have primed and laid down a little paint I can clearly see some areas where the wire wheel did some gouges. With the aluminum bare it wasn't noticeable to the eye or to the touch, even after some fairly through sanding to 220. It's not all that bad but if I were wanting a perfect paint job I'd be pretty mad at myself right now. I think once I lay down some paint with a roller it should be that much less noticeable. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up who might be thinking about the wire wheel on your project.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Spray cans are da bomb ....used 7 cans myself today...uhhgg!
Surprising how much a coat or two of paint can hide...in my case it hid 4 more coats all different colors lol.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

The UPS lady showed up at my place yesterday, handed out a treat to my black lab then gave me one too...
P1010964.jpg

Got a great deal on this Gluvit and lightning fast shipping from JMS Marine. The temps around here are just about where they need to be in order for me to lay this down on my rivets/seams. Cool!

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Woot! A mini Christmas there jas :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Side note...

I added a second line to my signature, I think some of you fellas (and snow) might agree, eh!