1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

Triton II

Commander
Re: 1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

Hey Yoop, with your floor being 3/8 too narrow if pushed to one side, why not use some glass matt/resin to seal both edges, that should make it a nicer fit widthwise and stop any water ingestion into the plies? Just an idea...

TII

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the suggestion Triton I'm still considering what to do with those the one I cut larger probably wont fit after epoxy so I'll need to shave some off that one. I cant get a perfectly flush fit on the sides due to the rivets there anyway so 3/8 wasn't really accurate probably closer to an 1/8 on each side and should be pretty snug after epoxy. I'll try to fill any gaps with something (not sure what yet) before the vinyl goes on also want to do something with those rib notches. I plan on putting the last coat of epoxy on the floor after its installed and that will probably take care of most of it.Then I'll glue the vinyl over that so should be ok.

yooperangler

Time for an update kind of cool and damp the last few days but I decided to start the epoxy finally. The first thing I did was take another 1/4" off the back floor piece as I figured it would be to tight after epoxy and cut the notch out for the bilge. I made the notch a little narrower as I couldn't get an accurate measurement on the original piece. The only problem I can foresee here is if My steering cable will fit through here or not.
9e45812f.jpg

Then I gave everything a quick sanding with some 80 grit. I'm not really concerned about a perfect finish on any of the floor panels but wanted good adhesion for the epoxy and to clean things up a little.
b24c3d11.jpg

95dff829.jpg

I want to run some 2" pvc to the bow to run wiring ( I had considered smaller but figure if I ever need to run heavier wire up here for a trolling motor etc the 2" will be better) so I took some measurements and guestimated where I wanted it and cut a hole. The Idea is an access panel under the console with 2 " going forward and 4" going aft from there .
61742215.jpg

Then it was time for some epoxy. I found the cooler temps to have good and bad side effects on the epoxy. On the good side it seemed to increase the working time and allow to work with bigger batches. The bad was the epoxy seemed thicker and more difficult to brush on so ended up with a heavier first coat and used more epoxy.
3841943a.jpg

51c1975e.jpg

yooperangler

b22be7b5.jpg

After finishing the last piece I still had some left so I went back and made sure all the little cracks and voids were full of epoxy good side of the aruaco is beautiful but back isn't always perfect and I wanted to eliminate any weak spots or possible water intrusion.
ebf8ab26.jpg

Then I decided it was time to tear the motor apart to replace the impeller. I pulled out the repair manual EZ had found for me on ebay (thanks again EZ) and went to work. I took a pile of pics so might as well post em. This is the original 73 repair manual I also have the seloc but this is soooo much better.
c15a0816.jpg

I had previously drained the oil so first thing was to remove the fuel pump to access the shift linkage. This was pretty simple just a couple screws and a hose clamp. Clamp was a pita though.
95a606aa.jpg

4d8ed682.jpg

With the fuel pump pushed aside it was pretty easy to access the bolt for the shift linkage getting it back together may be a different story.
f0a8e089.jpg

yooperangler

Not a very good pic but shows the linkage is unhooked You can also see a grommet in the bottom that is obviously going to be one of My arch nemesis's on this project.
3cdb2009.jpg

Next step said to remove the back part of exhaust housing cover. I think that is just because this part of manual covers tearing the whole motor apart but decided to pull it off anyway as I could see some carp down in there I wanted to clean out.So four screws in the front.
a550eff2.jpg

And a couple in the back these were super tight and needed a long screwdriver to get a good grip. You can also see a wire nut on the solenoid in this pic think there was a fusable link there idk if I need one or not ?
1c0b6d12.jpg

I'm glad I took this off as I want to paint the motor and there was lots of gunk and stuff in here.
beab92c2.jpg

Only things I found in there that looked important were a fuse and this other thing. It looks familiar to me but idk what it is ??
a3f0d1de.jpg

Then I scribed a mark on trim tab and removed it mark is so it goes back on in the same place although no Idea if its right.
94b0462a.jpg

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

looking good there Yoop. I plan to thin my epoxy with a bit of Xylene when I do my wood as I expect to have the same temps your dealing with. It will also help it penetrate better. I've been thinking of the pvc below deck too.

yooperangler

After removing the trim tab I'm supposed to remove a bolt inside but it's missing. I'm guessing that's not a good thing. Also the book says trim tab bolt should be an allen screw so must have been replaced at some point. Pic of the bolt that isn't there. I realize I'm posting a lot of boring pics but figure maybe they'll help someone and I have a few questions along the way so........
38997018.jpg

Then one recessed bolt on the bottom.
c11e5ba7.jpg

And two on each side
1cd21ad4.jpg

And it slid right apart revealing a whole beach worth of sand having never done this before I'm not sure if this is an area where there should be sediment or not ?? Looking at the water flow diagram for the motor not even sure why its here but there it is.
54283732.jpg

Another sand pic also shows part of a seal or something sticking out of top of pump grommet not sure what that is as seloc shows an oring here and Johnson shows nothing ??
ed4382ae.jpg

Then I blew it all off with the air compressor and of course sandblasted everything in the garage including the floor panels full of wet epoxy but we'll pretend its for traction.
c08a513a.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

NO joke a beach! Yikes!

Good thinking on running PVC for the future buddy.

yooperangler

Something doesn't look right in here either ??
d3c64316.jpg

According to the manual there's supposed to be an O-ring here but no sign of it either.
b276c9da.jpg

Looking around in the motor and up the driveshaft tube for the o-ring or any part of it I noticed that grommet for the shift linkage had popped out of the hole so spent about an hour trying to get that in no way to get fingers in there to do anything and I figure it will probably pop out again when I put it together but I'm stubborn.
25f4c890.jpg

I was finally able to get lucky with a screwdriver and 1/4" extension hoping it stays in there during reassembly.Still haven't found the awol o-ring though.
5507acf7.jpg

Then I removed the bolts and pulled off the impeller housing
58723da8.jpg

Impeller seems to be intact but pretty flimsy and needs replaced. You can also see in this pic that everything here is essentially sealed and doesn't seem to me like water and sand should have settled outside the pump here but maybe I'm wrong ??
975ec10c.jpg

yooperangler

I gave the impeller a spin and it spun free on the shaft took a closer look and found the key underneath impeller I don't think it fell out when I picked up the housing but possible. I'm thinking it's been doing nothing for who knows how long.
49293e9b.jpg

Inside of pump housing looks fine and I guess it's worth noting there wasn't any sand in here so still not sure where that came from ???
250716cb.jpg

Impeller plate says 70hp and motor is a 65 anyone know if this is right ?
094af604.jpg

Then I started digging through the parts box to see if I had everything I need . I think I do but needed to spend an hour or two checking invoice against parts book as many of the numbers had been replaced by Johnson. Impeller
e5fbac6f.jpg

New exhaust seal old one looks fine but I'll change it since I'm in here .
f25c1951.jpg

Thats pretty much how I left it. I need to finish cleaning things up and put it back together but first some questions.
1. Should that sand be there ? I mean should it be able to get there not should I put it back in :D
2. I need to find a replacement bolt for inside the trim tab cavity are these stainless or ??
3. Both manuals refer to sealant on impeller plate and housing but no evidence of sealant here also doesn't seem to seal very tight around drive shaft either way so what type of sealant will work and or is it necessary ?
4. Manual also calls for sealant on bolts what should I use ?
5. impeller plate says 70hp and motor is a 65 is this normal ?
I should probably ask these questions in the engine forum but figure I'll wait and see what I get here. I have the part number for the missing bolt but if it's something I can grab from the hardware that's a lot easier also possible I could steal one from the 72. Thanks for reading and looking forward to your replies. I'm hoping to get another coat of epoxy on and get this ready to go back together today.

yooperangler

NO joke a beach! Yikes!

Good thinking on running PVC for the future buddy.

Yeah idk if that sand should be able to get there or not but there was plenty of it:facepalm:. I think the pvc will make it easier to run wiring with the CC and won't need to run much along gunwales etc..

MP I thought about thinning the epoxy but had read somewhere it wasn't a good idea and the longer drying time in the cooler temps should let it penetrate ok. It was definitely soaking into the wood anyway. Thanks for the replies guys.:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

All great questions yoop. I have no answers for ya man, sorry.

If EZ were here he would say something like...

"OB's are way better than IO's, hardly any maint. necessary. All you have to do is buy and old one, hook up the batt/fuel lines and run it!"

So I guess you should just try that ^^^;)

He'd also say something like...

"IO's are gross and IO guys are just dumb."

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

1. Should that sand be there ? I mean should it be able to get there not should I put it back in :D
2. I need to find a replacement bolt for inside the trim tab cavity are these stainless or ??
3. Both manuals refer to sealant on impeller plate and housing but no evidence of sealant here also doesn't seem to seal very tight around drive shaft either way so what type of sealant will work and or is it necessary ?
4. Manual also calls for sealant on bolts what should I use ?
5. impeller plate says 70hp and motor is a 65 is this normal ?

1. There isn't much of a "seal" between the lower unit the and mid-section so it's not real surprising that there could be silt in there. Haven't seen that much though but I wouldn't worry about it.
2. Pretty sure they're stainless
3. Put a new gasket in the housing. No sealant necessary I believe.
4. Don't know, didn't seal mine.
5. I'd bet a lot of money all the lowers are the same. Certainly for all the 3 cylinders and maybe even as some of the V4s. Definitely not going to be different between a 65 and 70.

Jas, I believe many I/O's also have lower units and water pumps in them so I don't think you losers are really escaping much of this work. :p

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Apparently I was a little off on what EZ would chime in with, my bad.

Edit:

"IO's are gross and IO guys are losers."

I was close though.:p

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I read the whole epoxy report too but we aren't relying on it to be structural. Last project I bought a penetrating epoxy that worked well and it was made just for this.

I'll take a shot here.

1) DONT reuse the sand. Us new fresh water sand!:D I think Jason put that sand there and who knows where he got it.:facepalm: Seriously....The engine must have been sitting in extremely silty water and that area is not part of the internal cooling system. You should be fine.
2) Stainless bolts. When getting new bolts make sure you have 2x the major diameter of thread engagement. ie. 1/2" bolt should have 1" thread engagement. This is for aluminum, brass, cast iron etc. Steel is 1 1/2X.
3) I never used sealant on an impeller housing but RTV prolly wont hurt but I pity the fool who takes it apart next.
4) ^^^X2. must be meant to slow galvanic corrosion. I'd squirt some Wd in the hole and call it good. Never had an issue with that approach.
5) Water pump assy is probably good for a range of OBs. Run it.

edit - looks me and EZ posted at the same time.

yooperangler

All great questions yoop. I have no answers for ya man, sorry.

If EZ were here he would say something like...

"OB's are way better than IO's, hardly any maint. necessary. All you have to do is buy an old one, hook up the batt/fuel lines and run it!"

So I guess you should just try that ^^^;)

He'd also say something like...

LOL:D Quit picking on EZ and OB's You may or may not recall but awhile back I did " buy an old one hook up bat and fuel lines and fire it up" and despite missing bolts carppy wiring a leaky fuel pump and 50 pounds of sand in the lower unit it ran :)
d8119261.jpg

You gotta love OB's :cool:

yooperangler

Man You guys are fast in the time it took me to reply to Jas I got all the answers I need thanks alot guys :D

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Excuse me but did that take care of the termite problem? :eek:

yooperangler

Thats not a fire that's a mighty fine runnin 2 stroke :)
One more question what is this ??? Has a slightly domed shape and a part # thinking maybe its supposed to be on the motor somewhere ??
a3f0d1de.jpg