1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

Those are kinda important. They are meant to fill a hole. Push them in and hit the center with a flat punch to seat them.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It looks new. Maybe is a spare. :cool:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't think they fill a hole. I think they just identify the block.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hate to disagree but it looks like a freeze plug to me. There even used on carbs.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That welch plug is stamped with the s/n of the motor like EZ said. Does it match the ID plate? I don't know where it goes but if the block has a hole that big it won't run or be spewing water. I'd check over in the Evinrude/Johnson forum for it's location.

Lotsa good work going on here, yooper.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Learn something new every day if your not careful. I'm surprised that they would put the mod and ser#s there since its removable. But, I still think the main purpose is to fill a hole and the #s are stamped in a more perminant way on the block or well attached plate. Maybe those #s are there to make sure you get the right replacement. Dunno.

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies guys and I think You are almost all right after further investigation I found it seems to fit here which is a hole and after reading the replies I went back out and checked the number against the engine SN on ID plate and its a match (I had already scoured the parts book for a matching number ) The hole seems to be meaningless just a spot to put this in the middle of webbing on crank case cover/intake thingamajig . Thanks for all the replies GA wins the prize though even has a name for it "welch plug" :) I initially thought it might be the part # for this part as no # in book (only for whole crankcase assembly) but it seems its just a place to hide an extra SN in case ID tag is removed or lost.
59052276-1.jpg

Started out today with some more cleaning up on the lower unit and took the cover off the pump flange and removed the seals.
0f6c2753.jpg

e5a6f898.jpg

Since the queen was at work I was able to bring those parts in and clean em up in the sink.
91b721f4.jpg

Then some more exciting epoxy. The first coat was still tacky so I just slapped on another coat this is the first time I've done it without sanding between coats and was hard for me to see coverage mostly just brushing it on by feel.Keep in mind your average 5 year old could do better with a paint brush than Me.

d10d30c4.jpg

yooperangler

d4a897df.jpg

I had gone through the parts book and cross referenced everything against My invoice to figure out what was what so checked again to make sure I have everything I need to put it back together everything seems ok except this seal that goes on top of pump housing is different same part # but old one fits inside of drive shaft tube and presses against it looks like this will just smash between the two ?? I don't know if maybe wrong seal in bag or a change Johnson made new one seems to be porous (like pipe insulation) old one is solid rubber any thoughts ?
1ca8fea6.jpg

0af82b46.jpg

Then I did a little more cleaning on the lower unit wiped down the outside with some mineral spirits and debating on whether or not to throw it in the bath tub for a good scrubbing before the Queen gets home :D That's it for now need to eat something and think about a nap before work thanks again for the replies guys:)
b3b785a7.jpg

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Lookn good, there's a nice reflection off your deck also :cool:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Glad I won something cause my wiring harness is eating my lunch right now. 45 year old brittle insulation - Yuck. The better half asked if I can't just buy a new one, but being a bottom feeder I have to try to fix it first. Then buy a new one:facepalm:

mark1961

Ensign

Thats not a fire that's a mighty fine runnin 2 stroke :)
One more question what is this ??? Has a slightly domed shape and a part # thinking maybe its supposed to be on the motor somewhere ??
a3f0d1de.jpg

Take a look at the top of the block behind the flywheel in the lifting ring area.....i think you will find its supposed to go there.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

That epoxy work looks pretty nice, I'm insanely jealous. Totally jealous of the outboard too.:p

Do you really have 6 girls yoop?

Broadcast

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great progress bro! Keep up the good work!

yooperangler

That epoxy work looks pretty nice, I'm insanely jealous. Totally jealous of the outboard too.:p

Do you really have 6 girls yoop?

I've never been a photographer but for some reason My pics seem to look better than reality I'm glad nobody will see the epoxy after the floor is in and vinyl is on.:eek: I think the old outboard is going to work just fine if I can get it back together, painted and tuned up a bit. I still need to see if I can get one of the fleettwins running for a kicker or need to find one. Yeah six girls Don 2 stepdaughters and 4 of My own from previous marriage only 1 left at home now . 1 in arkansas, 1 in Chicago , 1 in Detroit area, and 2 in different parts of the U.P.

GA I know what You mean about wiring I still have all of that to deal with need to extend My harness a bit as console will be farther forward not looking forward to that part.

Mark thanks for the reply I'll take another look but think I found it.:)

Broadcast thanks for stopping in and appreciate the compliment :D

Boatnut thanks for the reply I don't think it will be that shiny once it dries still not sure if I'll put a third coat on or not haven't had much luck getting the third one to lay down right anyway.

yooperangler

Just a quick update finished epoxy on the bottom side of the floor panels and was finally dry enough today to flip and get the first coat on the topside only thing worth noting is due to the warmer temps today (in the 70's) it took about 10 ounces less epoxy to coat all 4 panels. I had also started a thread in the engine forum regarding the difference in the two water pump seals got one response and seems this is common so I guess I can put that back together.

yooperangler

Been bow hunting for most of Oct. On vacation this week and broke My truck yesterday so taking a break from hunting until it gets fixed figure I'll at least get the boat in the garage and put the motor back together. Slowly catching up on everyone's progress sooo much reading to do :)

Huron Angler

Admiral

So did you get a deer with the truck then? :D

Hopefully you got one with the bow and the truck is an easy fix;)

I'm gearing up for rifle season, haven't made much progress myself lately either.

yooperangler

No deer yet HA truck started out with a leaky transmission line got that fixed but tranny needs rebuilt 1700.00 :mad: Not a great vacation so far. Truck will be done tomorrow evening getting the granddaughter for the weekend so no hunting then either. On the bright side it's been a beautiful fall and have had a lot of time in the woods enjoying the peace and quiet and the lack of truck is giving Me an opportunity to wrap up some stuff before the snow flies so not all bad:)
I got the last of the epoxy on the floor panels a couple weeks back and am now in the process of making room for the boat in the garage, taking down Halloween decorations and want to get Christmas up so that doesn't interfere with rifle season. I cleaned out a room in the basement and should at least be able to get seat boxes and such built and painted over the winter. Not sure if I'll try to heat things up enough to paint the boat or just wait until spring. I figure I'll replace the rest of the gunwale rivets and get it ready to flip and go from there. Thanks for stopping in good luck with the hunting :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yoop - I was just talking with a yooper a couple of minutes ago. You prolly know her since there are only like 12 of you up there. Anyay, I really need a pasty right now. And a big bottle of ketchup.

Bummer no deer so far.

OK, that is all I wanted to say. Cheers buddy:)