1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

OOOOOooo sheesh, stop being such a big baby and get to work:p

I can't since I need to keep replying to Your replies :) It's a weak excuse but best one I have at the moment:cool: I seriously don't know how You do it seems like You could do a complete restore in the time it takes me to put in a transom truly inspirational if only inspiration=ambition I would be done by now :D

Triton II

Commander

You're doing great Yoop, that was a fantastic update on your transom vs 5200 battle. Loved it, and my old eyes love the bigger pix! :)

TII

sprintst

Commander

I like the over the top stuff. That 5200 treatment is the way to do.

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yoop, looking good, keep up the good work.

"It looked like a toddler had put marshmallow hand prints everywhere"

Who said you can't be a kid again, lol

Started working on my mariner. Console, floor and starfoam are all out. Just finished the motor stand today. At some point next week I hope to have the motor and transom out.

I will have to post some pics when I have a chance. Just too busy trying to work on the boat at night and train the dog for the competition before the sun goes down.

I will check in a bit later, keep it going....

Wayne

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

Looks good,....

I can't see why yous would need a bracket for a kicker,...

It looks like yous should have enough room to just hang in on the transom next to the big motor,...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I liked the part where you applied 5200 all over the bottom edge of the transom board. :p Not sure what exactly you're waterproofing there and someone someday will be cursing you when they try to get that board out again :D

starcrazy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I know one thing, it won't be me trying to replace it. The way Yoop is going at it, the thing will last another 30 years. If anything you may want to leave a note for your children or grandchildren to watch out for it:)

yooperangler

I liked the part where you applied 5200 all over the bottom edge of the transom board. :p Not sure what exactly you're waterproofing there and someone someday will be cursing you when they try to get that board out again :D

I thought about that for awhile and figured it couldn't hurt to have a little extra protection on the bottom edge of the transom I figure if water ever gets in to the wood it will be from there or the bolt holes somehow. So bottom edge has probably 6 coats of epoxy, some primer and some 5200 to keep the water out of the wood should be ok:) I don't know if it will stick really well to the shelf or not it was cleaned but still had an oxide layer on it I figure if it does stick it shouldn't take toooo much to pull the primer off hopefully I never have to find out :D

It looks like yous should have enough room to just hang in on the transom next to the big motor
,... Teamster I see some of the holidays and SS's that have a kicker right on the transom but I think they are a bit wider on the rearend. I'm also not sure at this point what I'll be using for a kicker (shaft length) so we'll see. I sort of remember checking it out while I had the motor on and thinking I couldn't fit one on the transom but if I can I might. I guess maybe it seems like the way the splashwell is set up with those flat places and angles inward toward the back that there is a lot more transom outside than inside if that makes sense?

Starcrazy post those pics before the angry mob catches You.:eek:

Thanks for the replies everyone all I managed to get done yesterday was some rearranging in the garage and hauled in the plywood and stuff out of the trailer, the 5200 is setting up nicely I plan to let it go the full 7 days before I try priming or anything. I'm cooking dinner now and then hoping to get the rest of My garage cleaning done and cut the last 2 floor panels and start epoxy. More later I hope.;)

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

Great photos! Love the before and afters... Look forward to following your journey!

Jonny

yooperangler

Thanks for stopping in Jonny. I spent some quality time in the garage this evening cleaned up a little more and stared at the boat ans decided to stick the hinge back on the console.
4f1e5a7f.jpg

9df5b6bc.jpg

Plywood and foam found a new home inside
c710f835.jpg

And I got the table saw out where I can use it for the seat boxes and such hopefully
6c828f06.jpg

Also put the aluminum trim on shelf and set the top dash on just to see how it looked with the blue.
e3f3ed23.jpg

Since I was thinking about seat boxes I wanted to see how high I wanted to make em so got the seat I had on a cheapo pedestal out of trailer and discovered seats are wrong color or console is but I think I can live with it I'll pretend it was intentional for contrast maybe boat will need to be two tone blue and white instead of the gray?
645bd08f.jpg

yooperangler

Seems like I'll want the seats a little higher than the 13" pedestal and while I was thinking about pedestals (see how easy it is to get distracted?:)) I remembered that while I was moving stuff around I discovered this.
2e5fa897.jpg

I had ordered 3 pedestals 2 of the 13" and 1 7" I got a box of each and now not planning on using any:eek:

While I was thinking about stuff I had ordered figured I would take a pic of these latches that finally came today I ordered em from Cabelas in June original order said they would ship from mfg. I realized sometime in July that I never got em and have been back and forth with cabelas ever since . In august they said they were shipping end of august they called and said 45 more days for the non locking ones I had ordered but could have the ones with locks instead same price so finally got them.
66f168c8.jpg

Then I hauled the console and stuff out to the trailer and decided to cut some plywood . I figured this piece I've been using for a work bench is good enough floor will get epoxy and vinyl anyway.
66aff0fd.jpg

Definitely looks better than the old ones
e0a51f32.jpg

yooperangler

These were pretty rough I had to stick this corner back on to draw the lines then once I traced them they were even more crooked than I usually cut so used a straight edge to straighten em out. Then looking at the lines I thought they seemed pretty symmetrical so got out the tape measure and discovered these last to pieces are just cut straight anyway:facepalm:
c2c243a2.jpg

So I cut the first one at 61" same as original and tried a dry fit. I think its good enough for Me but has around a 3/8" gap if its pushed tight to one side.
1444991a.jpg

c75a1253.jpg

While I was messing with floor panels I figured I should fit the other ones in as well.
880f877d.jpg

While I was doing that I discovered that none of the seams come out on a rib except the bow one so thought about that for a while. While I was thinking about that I started thinking about the console again and how much room I would have left after it and a seat box are in. I'm going way forward with the console (at least as far as new cables will let me) So I threw some 2x6's across the boat to simulate console and seat . The front two are basically where the console will go back one should be end of seat box so should have around 5' between console seat box and splashwell.

9a5169b9.jpg

yooperangler

This should leave me about a foot between the console and rear of front seating. I really want to get as much weight forward as possible
817964b2.jpg

Then I cut the last panel a 1/2" bigger and fit it. I still need to cut the notch out for bilge access but measured that on the old one and its 1 1/2" different when measured from each side :eek: Went back in boat and measured rivet holes for stringers and all seems fine but need to review some pics and see whats going on here so called it quits for tonight. Need to go to bed have a good night guys.:cool:

Jonny C

Seaman Apprentice

Great update, Yoop... That's a lot of work! Some of the old plywood looks rough indeed... Look forward to following your progress!

Jonny

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nice progress. What are you gonna do with all those pedistals? I'm going to Cabellas today to pick up seats and pedistals I ordered. Always scary thinking about how cash I could drop there.

yooperangler

Jonny Idk if it's as much work as I made it but at least its something :)

MP I don't know what I'm going to do with all of those pedestals , weld em together and make some yard art ? use em for jack stands ? build an obstacle course ?:D Any suggestions ? Maybe Jas wants em for flotation ?:rolleyes: I know the feeling with spending money at Cabelas they love Me poor guy that was trying to get those latches for me must have called 50 times to update Me . Never had any problem with orders form em before and think the problem is the mfg. Thanks for the replies guys.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah buddy, you have like two full cases of seat pedestals there. Probably should by more boats I guess huh.

yooperangler

Yah buddy, you have like two full cases of seat pedestals there. Probably should by more boats I guess huh.

Hmmmm I'll try that excuse on the bride when I want to buy the next boat "but honey I already have the seat pedestals":D

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Maybe post them on the starcraft parts thread.

yooperangler

Well they aren't exactly Starcraft parts but guess I could CL or ebay em but pretty cheap to begin with so idk if even worth messing with . I'll deal with that kind of stuff this winter I guess,I'm still hoping to find the next project before snow comes as this is the time of year that CL gets interesting :)