1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

yoop, I really like that CC design buddy, super! Controls on the left side eh? That's like all those super fancy Euro CC boats on the other side of the Atlantic. So does that mean you need to drive on the left hand side of the lake now?

:D

Hey, you are making some awesome progress, keep it up buddy:)

dozerII

Admiral

Looking real good Yoop, I like your design for the CC. Your a man on a mission, the way your going you will splashing next weekend.;)
Glen

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the replies guys

Wood I'll check out the polishing kit lots of trim pieces to polish as well

Jas I figure with the euro console they will be after me to be the next James Bond agent double O yooper:) As far as which side of the lake to drive on once I install the cannons I'll drive where I want:cool:

Glen I'm just hoping to get a few test runs in before the snow flies again I doubt I'll have it 100% done this summer as the list of stuff I still need / want is still longer than the list of stuff I already have:rolleyes: I am hoping to run a couple tanks of gas through that old Johnson this year even if I'm dodging ice bergs to do it :D

Thanks again for the replies and motivation guys. I borrowed a buddies little mig welder yesterday and picked up some aluminum wire and such so hoping to deal with that crack this weekend also got some cable to run for my batteries. I stopped at fastenal hoping they might have some screws for my knee brace but no such luck so need to order those and some 5200 and 4200 soon I also still need some of that magic hardener stuff , a new bow light etc etc ............stay tuned

Huron Angler

Admiral

I agree that console looks excellent, great design with plenty of room for stuff.

Glad to hear you got out on the big lake, good motivation for ya:)

We trolled for salmon last time out, maybe we should've been bouncing the bottom for lakers:)

Keep up the great work yooper, hope you get her splashed before the icebergs form.

yooperangler

Time for lunch and a quick update.... I HATE STRIPPING PAINT!!!!
I decided since it wasn't pouring rain I would do some more stripping seems to be going even slower today (probably because I was hoping to get holes sealed, gluvit,and leak check done and flip tommorrow)
100_0903.jpg

started on the starboard side again it almost seems this stripper gets less effective with each use stuff that doesn't come off with the first try is really stuborn

100_0904-1.jpg

Hit the splashwell and transom some more as well.

100_0905.jpg

100_0906.jpg

Every time I hose it off I hit the inside as well sooner or later that dirt should stop coming out of those ribs

100_0909.jpg

Approximately 4million coats so far

100_0912.jpg

yooperangler

Decided to make a run to the store for more strippers and beer , wish that was as fun it sounds.....
100_0913.jpg

while the stripper was working I started picking away at rusty peely trailer paint
100_0915.jpg

100_0919.jpg

Figured I better hit this as well

Started hitting the other side and slapping stripper everywhere
100_0927.jpg

100_0926.jpg

100_0924.jpg

yooperangler

Pretty much how I left it for now splashwell and transom are nearly done starboard side may get stripped again or not port side started time to eat and see if I wanna strip some more or do something else:eek::):D
100_0923.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

I am going to pick up some chemicals and have at it tomorrow myself.

More bare metal showing all the time. Progress is progress right:D

yooperangler

I am going to pick up some chemicals and have at it tomorrow myself.

More bare metal showing all the time. Progress is progress right:D

Yeah progress is progress HA but I'm starting to get impatient to get to the put stuff back together stage:) It sounds like your doing the same thing I did sand sand sand and then decide to strip strip strip:D I think I'll just go straight to stripper next time around.
I didn't get back out to the boat last night but did order some stuff from Iboats and Cabelas so I guess that is progress ;) 5200 and 4200 are on the way also a fishfinder ,marine radio, some cheap life jackets from cabelas bargain cave , new bow light and my tach, list is getting shorter:)

Triton II

Commander

Wow 00-Yooper, you're really getting into it mate. Love the console and great work getting her down to bare metal... it's all downhill from here. :)

TII

yooperangler

Wow 00-Yooper, you're really getting into it mate. Love the console and great work getting her down to bare metal... it's all downhill from here. :)

TII

After yesterday I think your right Triton progress is slow but from here on it should be mostly putting stuff back instead of removing I still have a few bad rivets to replace and some cracks to fix and I'll need to blend in the bottom paint once she is flipped but mostly forward progress at this point.

I realize paint stripping pics aren't a thrill a minute but I took em so might as well post em. I needed a little break from chemicals so started by making the plywood piece for the bow
100_0928.jpg

Then I used a wire wheel to remove the rest of the paint from the bow skin
100_0929.jpg

It came out pretty good I still need to make the support pieces and epoxy hoping to get this together and transom in before flipping
100_0931.jpg

Then I shop vaced the inside again for those who haven't done it this seems to be a never ending process it takes a lot of cleaning to get all the old leaves and dirt out of these old boats
100_0932.jpg

Then it was back to stripping, stripping and more stripping
100_0933.jpg

yooperangler

Between coats of stripper on port side I went over starboard side with a wire wheel to get rid of the last stubborn spots and any residue.
100_0934.jpg

Then I had a terrible accident no one was injured but there was alot of swearing and even a tear or two
100_0935.jpg

100_0936.jpg

Starboard side almost done

100_0937.jpg

100_0939.jpg

I think this is where I stopped on sunday paint near bow was nearly impossible to remove stripper seems to work very poorly in warmer temps and useless in direct sun so started again yesterday morning.

100_0940.jpg

yooperangler

100_0941.jpg

100_0943.jpg

By this point my nice stiff brush has gone limp from the stripper, bondo applicators I've been using as scrapers are bent and bowed and the sun is way to hot but I'm done with chems !!!

I continued hitting everything with the wire wheel removing the unremovable
100_0945.jpg

100_0946.jpg

The sun was just way to hot so I hooked her up to the truck ( first time since the new hitch YAY !!) and moved it to the front yard in the shade much better !!
100_0947.jpg

Transom and splashwell done !!!
100_0948.jpg

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey ther Yoop yours and mine look exactly the same right now. Gotta love those wire wheels but the stainless ones are $14 at Lowe's over here and I wish they lasted longer. I'm using up a couple steel ones at the moment. When they get worn they do a good job on the splash rail trim. Don't you just love all those little wires stuck into your belly? :facepalm:

Hope that wasn't alcohol abuse. Looked like a Bud light so no real loss...... right?:D

yooperangler

Starboard side done !!!
100_0951.jpg

Port side done !!!
100_0955.jpg

Bow good enough until I flip !!!
100_0957.jpg

A couple more sexy pics cuz I took em. It's worth noting at this point that the entire time this old girl has been sitting in my yard no one has cared or commented on the ugly old boat as soon as it started getting shiny I was overrun with neighbors checking out my project and commenting on what a nice boat she is.
100_0959.jpg

100_0960.jpg

My two cents on stripping
1. If your thinking about using chems don't mess around with sanding first as the stuff seems to work best on the thicker areas anyway and its just more work

2. Find some shade and or work during the cooler parts of the day saves on your body and this stuff is basically worthless in direct sunlight I ended up stripping the port gunwale with the wire wheel as I couldn't keep it cool enough for the stripper to work.

3. Stock up on plastic scrapers, putty knives, stiff brushes, etc.. Maybe a softer wire brush would be best mine were too stiff and made scratches. The stiff nylon brush I had would soften up after an hour or two and was worthless til the next day so having a couple would have helped.

4. When using a pressure washer start low and work your way up as It seems once the stuff gets wet it gets nuetralized and paint sticks again.

5. I used two different stripping products one el cheapo from menards the other was zip strip only difference was menards one was a bit thicker worked a little better on rivets and such but hard to keep on brush big globs would just fall on the ground It took about 4 1/2 cans to do what I did although some was wasted trying to work in the sun etc...

6. Take your time, find some shade and don't try to rush it the stuff only works as fast as it does no matter how hard you work. It took me aprox 18 hrs or so to do what I did.I imagine some of you younger energetic types could do it quicker but expect to invest the majority of at least a couple days in this. I think it is worth doing and will probably strip all my future projects If for no other reason than I found a few steel rivets here and there I now know I need to replace.

I hope this review helps someone out and saves a couple headaches keep plugging guys and thanks for reading more to come :)

yooperangler

Hey ther Yoop yours and mine look exactly the same right now. Gotta love those wire wheels but the stainless ones are $14 at Lowe's over here and I wish they lasted longer. I'm using up a couple steel ones at the moment. When they get worn they do a good job on the splash rail trim. Don't you just love all those little wires stuck into your belly? :facepalm:

Hope that wasn't alcohol abuse. Looked like a Bud light so no real loss...... right?:D

Bush Light BAD LOSS !!! ( any kind would be:))

I honestly don't know what kind of wire wheel I'm using soft kind of goldish colored cup brush only one I have used the entire time and is still intact. I think I bought a set of three different sizes at one of those cheapy tool sales 5 or 6 years back whatever it is it sure is tough. Thanks for stopping in :)

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

^^^2X Good points. I'd endorse the Zip Strip as well.

Your kickin my butt now! Looks great!!!!!!!!

yooperangler

^^^2X Good points. I'd endorse the Zip Strip as well.

Your kickin my butt now! Looks great!!!!!!!!

Thanks I just subscribed to your thread (haven't read it all yet ) but very nice boat all I can say is if I'm ahead of you, you must be waaaayyy behind as I thought I was the slowest car on the track:D

KellyC

Thanks I just subscribed to your thread (haven't read it all yet ) but very nice boat all I can say is if I'm ahead of you, you must be waaaayyy behind as I thought I was the slowest car on the track:D

Nope yooper you are are not the slowest car on the track, I take that honor buddy. My boat is only half stripped and still needs the bottom done and not sure how I will do that. You and Mike are doing great though, keep up the good work guys.