1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

Why are you going with aluminum screws? That knee brace is critical to the strength of the transom so I would suggest stainless.

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Why are you going with aluminum screws? That knee brace is critical to the strength of the transom so I would suggest stainless.

Original screws were aluminum figure maybe they knew what they were doing only reason I'm replacing em is they were a bit short for my taste (only ones on boat that weren't 2 inches too long :)) To be honest I'm a bit confused about why so many people use stainless especially below the water line? Seems with it being such a "noble" metal compared to aluminum galvanic corrosion could be a major issue but idk just goin with what was there strength of the bolts should be comparable to original although no idea of grade of original bolts. Were your original bolts steel ? Just tryin to do it right guess maybe I'll give it some more thought.

yooperangler

Finally got photobucket working again so heres those pics from a while back marine radio
100_0986.jpg

Crack repair second pass
100_0988.jpg

cleaned it up with a teeny weeny wire brush
100_0989.jpg

I had to modify a putty knife slightly to get the jb weld in there but think it is good to go now
100_0990.jpg

I have a few rivets with missing heads
100_0999.jpg

I'm using these to fix em found in a random hardware drawer at lowes aluminum screws with collars that fit perfect
100_1002.jpg

yooperangler

I just drilled out the old rivet cleaned things up and slapped some jb in the hole stuck the collar in from the inside and tightened screw
100_1003.jpg

I see fastenal has these with a regular rivet head look to em but the screw head is close enough for me
100_1004.jpg

Inside collar looks pretty similar to a rivet and tightened down ok.
100_1005.jpg

Then I filled a bunch of holes in aluminum below transom drilled out some steel rivets and filled those holes as well also some of the holes from the snaps for old boat cover or something still need to sand all of this and finish filling snap holes etc
100_1007.jpg

100_1008.jpg

Here's a shot of the little collar screw thingys in the package weren't very expensive and seem to work fine for this
100_1010.jpg

Got an email from the guy with that 16footer said he will call me this evening might be another thread starting soon

yooperangler

Mike I checked out the specs for what I ordered on fastenals website

Dimensions: ASME B18.2.1, Fully threaded.
? Material: 2024T4 Aluminum.
? Mechanical Properties: Hardness: 70-85 HRB
Minimum tensile strength 55,000 PSI. Minimum yield 36,000 PSI.
? Thread requirements: ASME B1.1 UNC & UNF Class 2A.
Thread acceptance per 6.5.1.4 of ASTM F788
? Head Marking: Manufacturer?s ID.
? RoHS: Material shall be in compliance with European Union
Directive 2002/95/EC
? Material Test Reports: The MTR must have documented lot traceability, including full
chemical and mechanical figures, to the specification(s) above.

It seems like they should be strong enough to me probably as strong or stronger as original knee brace metal 36 years ago what do you guys think? Is stainless better for this application ? Thanks for the replies

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Details, details, hey buddy. All those little things sure do add up.

Got an email from the guy with that 16footer said he will call me this evening might be another thread starting soon

Yesssssssssss!!!:D:D

yooperangler

Details, details, hey buddy. All those little things sure do add up.

Yesssssssssss!!!:D:D

Talked to the 16 footer guy said someone else was ahead of me and he would let me know tomorrow if they take it or not if not sounds like I can take a look at her saturday evening.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The details sure do add up. I shouldn't be surprised that aluminum screws were used, makes sence as it kills the electrolysis argument. Starcraft seems to have made many incremental changes through the years. If that's what was used before then I'd guess your fine. That grade has the same yield strength as mild steel so it's pretty strong. I'm using SS for everything and not worried because I'm in fresh water and trailer all the time.

I have a 2.2 Merc kicker mostly for trolling on my 16 SS and it moves it right along. Last winter I picked up the same but 3.5 for the 18 Chieftain. Perfect for any of our lakes.

yooperangler

Thanks for the kicker info Mike I think I'll follow all the advice I've gotten from you guys and go the smaller route to start with and see how it goes from there. I'm still not 100% on what to do with the knee brace bolts, I have a while before that will happen anyway so I'll wait for some more input if stainless is better I have no problem getting stainless instead. I'll be trailering as well and no saltwater. I appreciate all the info and opinions so keep em coming thanks.

yooperangler

Just got an email from the 16footer guy boat is gone:( Good news is I have admitted I'm an addict and accepted it so only a matter of time until the next one comes along:facepalm::) I hope to see it on a resto thread soon and hope it didn't go to the scrap yard:eek:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Bummer on that 16 footer buddy:(

Good news is I have admitted I'm an addict and accepted it so only a matter of time until the next one comes along:facepalm

Yah, I'm kinda glad I don't have problems like that...

:eek::rolleyes::facepalm::D

rbtobias2

Recruit

Hello there .Great looking boat. I was just wondering if you decided to eliminate rub rails? I have a 1975 Holiday 18' that I would like to replace rub rail fittings & channel. Would you be interested in selling these?

Want to warn you...I am A Buckeye (Ohio)...But my $ good.

Thanks,

RBTobias2

yooperangler

Hello there .Great looking boat. I was just wondering if you decided to eliminate rub rails? I have a 1975 Holiday 18' that I would like to replace rub rail fittings & channel. Would you be interested in selling these?

Want to warn you...I am A Buckeye (Ohio)...But my $ good.

Thanks,

RBTobias2

RB I had considered eliminating the lower trim/ rubrail piece but have decided to keep it as I think that area will be blue and it shouldn't stick out like the trim on an old chevy station wagon anymore:). I know someone had a link to new rubber for the upper rub rails if that is what you need check out this thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=427003&page=12 I almost seem to remember someone having a source for the channel but not sure maybe one of these guys can point you in the right direction? thanks for stopping in:D

yooperangler

OK after three weeks of back and forth between camper, work and home the boss has decided she's had enough camping for a while so I got the camper home and managed to do a little on the boat today. I finished filling in the snap holes with JB and replaced the rest of my broken solid rivets shop vacced again and did a little more cleanup stuff. I'm hoping to get it all cleaned up pressure washed again and gluvit this week.
I have some pretty good scratches in a few places I'm planning to fill with bondo wondering if zc'ing first will provide better adhesion to the aluminum ?:confused: Thanks:D

yooperangler

I started out this morning with the best intentions to finish cleaning up for gluvit but got distracted (as I often do) thinking about the windshield from that old glasser and seating and space concerns with the CC. I spent an evening a week or so ago with some friends in His tiller set up kind of like this one
http://northernwi.craigslist.org/boa/2483436103.html
with seating and storage along the sides. It was quite comfortable and plenty of room with six adults even though boat was smaller than my Mariner. Combine that with the fact that I plan on mainly trolling or bobbing with this boat, the room taken up by the splashwell and CC, etc... and I find myself considering converting to a bow console:eek:

I took apart the old glasser windshield still attached to the sawzalled glasser parts until now
100_1048.jpg

Then scrounged around for something to set it on used the bow casting deck piece I had made but wasn't sure if I will use if I go with CC anyway everything is a bit crooked in these pics but basic idea
100_1050.jpg

I'm guessing I would end up with around 10' of essentially open space going this route (considering space lost in bow and by splash well)
100_1051.jpg

100_1054.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

OMG he's converting TO a closed bow! Isn't anyone ever happy with what they bought? Sheesh! :p:p

yooperangler

100_1055.jpg

100_1057.jpg

100_1058.jpg

100_1059.jpg

I clamped the controls in on the gunwale and of course cables will be too short unless I back it all up a bit further
100_1061.jpg

So what do you guys think ? I would need to get longer cables and some aluminum sheeting to fill in the bow and figure out how to make and fasten some stair shaped supports for the sides ( probably plywood attached to gunwales and floor) to make the seating and storage benches. Cables were new so that would be a loss but still haven't ordered steering so no problem there. I would also probably need some more battery cable to put them in the bow as well..... I picture benches on both sides for seating/ storage seat boxes near splashwell on each side with 2 of the swivel seats there (should leave room to access bilge ) and maybe center steering with the other seat and seat box or a split bench ? Let me know your thoughts and ideas thanks :D

yooperangler

OMG he's converting TO a closed bow! Isn't anyone ever happy with what they bought? Sheesh! :p:p

Thanks for the reply Ez I'm not committed to anything yet ( although I probably should be committed):) I keep trying to figure out seating and space with that CC and just can't get a grip on it so far so looking at other options appreciate any ideas or opinions:facepalm::cool: Also keep trying to come up with a way to have a bit of shelter for fall and spring as well and seems difficult with the CC so many decisions, so few brain cells :) I shouldn't have taken the windshield off that glasser life would be so much easier without it