1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

Nothing wrong with electric shift. It was a fine system and when working, it works well. Problem is the solenoids in the lower unit that do the shifting and the switch in the control box haven't been available for a long time. So if it stops working, you're limited to ebay for parts. You also need to note that the electric shift lowers use a different lube than regular one and will NOT work right with the wrong lube. If it's running, I'd sell it as opposed to keeping it for parts.

The hardest part about doing your impeller will be disconnecting the shift rod. (and lining the water tubes back up). Otherwise totally doable and probably easier than my V4 was.

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks again Ez I appreciate all the info and advice. I'm really hating the seloc manual at the moment as it has me jumping back and forth between lower unit removal and impeller replacement (trying to get a handle on what gaskets seals etc.. I'll need) Does Iboats or anyone offer an impeller replacement kit with all the required what nots? so far I've only found the parts individually ?

Huron Angler

Admiral

I just checked iboats inventory for '73 65hp and all I found was the impellar, no kits apparently.:(

Maybe one of the other online boat parts sites might have an impellar/water pump repair kit with all the gaskets?

Teamster

Lieutenant Commander

With the "tell tale" water holes it is not uncommon for spiders or other bugs to decide they want to live in there,...

Try blowing it out with air or putting a thin wire in it,...

I spray a bit of WD40 in mine to help keep the bugs out,.....

yooperangler

Thanks Teamster I'll make sure they are clear.

Thanks again Ez for posting that Johnson manual I don't know how good it is yet but has to be a ton better than this seloc one only part of lower unit removal pictured for my motor is shift linkage , one good pic of water pump and thats about it says use sealer and replace seals but doesn't give part numbers. It was helpful for my tilt problem but seems nearly worthless for impeller replacement.
I've been spending a lot of time looking for a pump repair kit but no luck so far seems the 65 horse 3 cyl's are just left out on most sites and others sell parts individually but no kit. It seems the 73 and 72 share the same parts (pump, Impeller, etc..) but are both left out of the kit clique:(

Back to work this afternoon not a lot of progress yesterday finally got the 72 out of the truck fought with lawnmowers most of the day (they won). Gave up on finding my compression tester and picked up a new one and ran a quick compression test on the 73 (one I plan on using) just did it cold as I had to move the motor and tank to get the truck in garage but hoping it gives some indication anyway ended up between 135 and 140 psi on all 3 cyls (gauge is 5 psi increments) all seemed plus or minus 1 or 2 psi. Seloc says Johnson changed their spec several times with the oldest being 5 psi max, then changed to 10 then changed to 20% all with no apparent changes to motor
that should have affected this.It doesn't give me an actual psi rating but suggests somewhere around 100 min so guessing I should be in the ballpark:) I'll do another test after next test run with motor warm in the near future.

100_0808.jpg

72 coming out of the truck a whole lot easier than when my brother and I loaded it by hand

100_0809.jpg

A couple of compression test pics just because I took em :) This one shows compression on top cyl after just hitting the key quick, tester instruction recommended several revolutions seloc said count number of seconds and do each cylinder the same so redid it both ways.

100_0812.jpg

Shows pretty much where I ended up on all 3 after several tests. I realize I'm doing this all backwards and should have done the compression tests prior to trying to run this old clunker and anyone planning to recommission an old motor should do it that way but in my defense the old man always said " if it ain't broke don't fix it" so figured I would see if it ran before I messed with it much then see if it was worth investing in parts.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice compression numbers. Hey, I never took comp readings on either of my motors. If it ain't broke..... :p

yooperangler

I decided it was time to drain the old oil out of the lower unit this morning stuff probably would have been o.k for another 30 yrs or so but did it anyway;)
100_0815.jpg

looks like a little water in there but not as bad as I was expecting. Had some small metal shavings on magnetic chip catcher on plug but felt around in the oil and didn't find any noticeable grit so feeling pretty good at this point. Anyone know of a good cleaning/flushing product for these old lower units?

100_0816.jpg

Decided to pull the prop check the splines and see what I could see while I was down there worse part was getting out the old cotter pin, nut was just finger tight

100_0817.jpg

Splines looked good and I had previously filed some slight burrs off the prop edges I think it should be fine as no major damage any thoughts ?

100_0818.jpg

100_0820.jpg

inside edge of prop seems to have been rubbing slightly on what appear to be threads in housing can't find any vertical play in shaft ( does move a little in and out but guessing thats normal ? ) maybe just from some crud in there ? What are those threads for ?

yooperangler

100_0821.jpg

100_0826.jpg

hard to get a good pic of these but what appear to be threads inside end of lower unit

Decided I just couldn't survive without taking a look at the thermostat and wanted to see if I could flush things out from this end at some point.
100_0827.jpg

100_0828.jpg

Warning this cover is spring loaded, once again Seloc manual is a dissapointment (Johnson one hasn't arrived yet) and has no usefull information about any of this. I've been using this site alot for parts breakdowns and info very handy I think I'll have to order parts from em at some point. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1973/65ESL73R 1973/CYLINDER & CRANKCASE/parts.html

100_0829.jpg

100_0830.jpg

Found some crud in these pressure relief valves figured I would stop here for today and check on availability of gaskets and such before tearing anything else out thermostat looks pretty rusty and glad I decided to disobey my own motto although technically I don't know whether this stuff is broke or not . Gaskets, thermostat, pressure reliefs all seem available so I'll tear it out tomorrow.

yooperangler

Just a quick update I broke down and spent some money this morning ordered the impeller,fuel hose , thermostat, pressure reliefs, and hopefully all the gaskets and seals I'll need. I couldn't justify the cost of a new fuel pump (yet) so ordered a new front seal for the old one hoping that fixes the leak. I'm hoping to get this motor wrapped up and painted (sorry but I have to turn it white can't tolerate the original colors) soon and get back to the fun stuff:) Also planning to get a temp gauge and sender and hopefully a tach if anyone has a link for those that work on a 3 cyl. would be appreciated :D

yooperangler

I was thinking it was babysh** green but guess harvest gold sounds better:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Well bro, either way, you'll surely catch more fish having that OB painted up pretty. No doubt about it;):D

yooperangler

I got my Johnson repair manual a few minutes ago awesome !!! Thanks again Ez:)

yooperangler

I was reading the service manual and it said I should have the parts manual to go with it so googled it quick and found it on Ebay for 14.99 !!! Its official I'm an ebay shopper now !!!

emoney

Commander

Actually, it's been proven that fishermen with white ob's are 32.8% more successful than those with other colors.:eek: