1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

Bighoss

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 Starcraft Mariner 18'

That clean aluminum feeling! AHH.... Drinks all around.

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 0

sprintst

Commander

Beautiful work from the console to that clean hull. You're over the worst part of the whole thing.

yooperangler

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys It does feel really good to know most of what I do from this point is forward progress.

Yesterday I moved the boat back into the garage I had to move all the other stuff out first to make room so I threw it all in the trailer for now
100_0961.jpg

Notice in this pic that the boat isn't all the way up against the bow stop on trailer. I didn't know it yet but when I had pushed the boat back to wire wheel rivets near trailer fenders I had forgotten to crank it back on and lock winch miracle it made it to the garage but as soon as I jumped inside to weld that crack the boat rolled right off the trailer:facepalm: No damage but it was a fun ride I cranked it back up on the trailer really glad it didn't come off in the alley.
100_0962.jpg

I started with the cracks in the splash well I had borrowed a friends little mig machine for this hoping the shorter gun would handle the aluminum wire better than my big one it worked but it was still a pita.
100_0964.jpg

It took about 5 tries welding and grinding but I won not the prettiest but the cracks are gone.
100_0965.jpg

100_0966.jpg

yooperangler

Then I started filling in some of the holes these were for the dual bat switch and the negative lug which won't be going back here
100_0968.jpg

100_0969.jpg

100_0970.jpg

And a couple more little holes on each side idk what they were for
100_0972.jpg

Guess I forgot to take an after pic but the splash well is pretty much done I still want to reinforce under where those downriggers were mounted somehow. I like the location but needs some more beef. Then I started with that big ol crack in the hull
100_0973.jpg

100_0974.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice welding there yooper, a better fix than JB weld for sure.:)

I was laughing when I read that you surfed the Starcraft down off the trailer. I sure hope somebody was there to share the fun:D

yooperangler

Not the greatest pic or the prettiest weld but the crack is gone . I'll clean this up better and JB over it today or tommorrow outside will just get jb or epoxy to feather it out a bit as theres no good way to clean out the stuff thats allready in there so welding is pointless.
100_0976.jpg

Then I cleaned up the outside a bit you can see how the weld on the inside runs a bit higher on the rib than the original bend so I think outside is really just cosmetic at this point I'll most likely just feather it in with a good coat of JB or epoxy after I flip it and call it good.
100_0977.jpg

100_0978.jpg

100_0981.jpg

Then it was time to go to work hoping to fill a few more holes and replace some rivets today as I want to get the gluvit in and leak check asap but boss says I need to mow the lawn so we'll see.

yooperangler

Nice welding there yooper, a better fix than JB weld for sure.:)

I was laughing when I read that you surfed the Starcraft down off the trailer. I sure hope somebody was there to share the fun:D

There weren't any witnesses so I could have denied the whole thing:) I was really impressed with how well those old rollers roll though.:eek: I still can't believe it stayed on the trailer to the garage I have a hill in my front yard, downhill through one alley then around a sharp curve and slightly uphill down a gravel alley to the garage unbelievable that I didn't drag her through the gravel:facepalm:

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

Progress looks great yoop! Nice looking hull now! I sort of wish I would have stripped off all my paint. But it was winter and I gave up... :D

yooperangler

Progress looks great yoop! Nice looking hull now! I sort of wish I would have stripped off all my paint. But it was winter and I gave up... :D

Thanks I hadn't planned on stripping it all but right now I'm glad I did ( hoping the paint job turns out o.k )

Just got done mowing the grass and found some presents from the ups man no other progress today and have to get ready for work so this is the best I can do.
100_0982.jpg

life jackets 8.99 ea from cabelas and my tach

also some flotation cushions and youth vests as had to order four to get the deal so no worries even if she don't float now
100_0983.jpg

Bow light, 5200, 4200, and the new fishfinder from IBOATS still waiting on the marine radio and antenna Bow light is way smaller than my old one need to try again to find a lense for that one.
100_0985.jpg

Triton II

Commander

Nice haul yooper! The hull strip and fix looks great! :)

TII

dozerII

Admiral

Great progess Yoop, Those cracks in your splash well sure looked familiar, it must be where the stress is transfered when the transom goes bad.
Glen

yooperangler

Thanks guys

Glen I'm thinking it was a combination of the punky transom and those big ol downriggers mounted on the flat spots on the splashwell hoping I can reinforce underneath and keep em there as I like the location but really don't want to lose the splashwell while I'm trolling:eek:

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Those repairs should last! Maybe I'll get an aluminum mig welder for fathers day...NOT!
I'd agree that once the transom started to fail it put extra stress on the splash well. I could only find 1 tiny crack in mine. Lucked out.

yooperangler

I was planning to post up some more pics but I seem to have killed photobucket. Not a whole lot of progress but I couldn't leave that weld on the crack the way it was so I went back and welded on it some more then cleaned it up and JB'ed it also filled a few holes in the gunwale, filled a bunch of transponder holes in stern under transom ( just jb'ed em ) and started Jb'ing some of the little tiny snap holes ( probably 6 million left) . I also replaced one of My missing solid rivets with some collar and screw thingys I had found in a random specialty hardware drawer at Lowes not sure what they are for but worked pretty slick I have a few more of those to do as well. Time to get ready for work I'll try posting pics tomorrow...Also got the rest of My Iboats order, Marine radio and antenna really need to start figuring out where all this stuff is gonna go:) Still need to order knee brace screws, majic hardener, steering, kicker mount, find a kicker or get one of those fleetwins running and possibly a stereo:eek:
On the bright side I guess the list is getting shorter :D

yooperangler

No progress to post (boss decided we were setting up the camper until the 4th so back and forth between there and work) but I did order a kicker mount, some knee brace screws and majic hardener so I guess that's something.
I see quite a few of these for sale and am considering one for a kicker http://up.craigslist.org/boa/2446394630.html prices vary a bit and so does condition. As far as I can tell weight seems to be around 85 lbs and should work o.k. for trolling and as a back up motor I think?? Mount I ordered is up to 20 hp 115 lbs I thought it was a good deal from discount marine http://www.discountmarinesupplies.com/product.cgi?product=115448&group=71388 curious to know what you guys think ?:confused: Thanks.

Also I have to admit I'm an addict called about this today http://up.craigslist.org/boa/2448666656.html still haven't heard back from him so maybe it's gone but couldn't pass it up the second time :eek::facepalm:

Also ordered My temp Gauge, Teleflex amega kit comes with sender and bracket so hopefully all I need http://www.teleflexmarine.com/products/instrumentation/instrumentation/amega/ Won't match my Tach as its an eclipse but I guess one being red and the other blue won't hurt ? Seems neither set offered both for O.B.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Not sure what type of trolling you are planning on doing, but I think that 18hp might be tough to troll down slow enough for the fish to take the lure.

You can always adjust the idle down a bit if needed, but these boats are so light sometimes it's a struggle to get down to 1-2kts.

I'm considering picking up a 3hp for trolling on my 16' since it would be a little quieter, lighter, and save even more fuel.:)

The other side of the coin is that for a "backup" motor I'd easily rather have the 18hp to get off Lake Superior if the big one sputters and the wind is picking up.:eek:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

These boat don't need much motor. Although the J/E guys say those 18s are fantastic motors, I'd probably look for more around a 9.9.

yooperangler

Thanks guys tough decision to make I see a few 9.9's around as well and they are definitely in the running also have those 2 little fleettwins (7.5 's) might be able to make one work but would want to convert it for non pressurized tank sooo......Idk doubt I'll do any trolling this year either way at least the mount should work for whatever I use:)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Man, that little Starcraft needs to be sitting next to the 18 footer!

Tell ya what, our boats are super light my friend. Love that! I am thinking 8 to 9.9 for my big ol 22 foot Islander should be aok for a kicker/emergency. I'd imagine you could go way less than 18 hp for your Mariner (save $$ too).

Cheers bro!:D

yooperangler

Thanks Jas still haven't heard from the guy on that 16 footer saw it back on cl today with trailer for 300.00 sent him an email waiting on a call http://up.craigslist.org/boa/2455480049.html
Still not sure about a kicker so many choices, so much work so little time if its going to splash this summer... On the bright side kicker mount, temp gauge and majic hardener came, Fastenal order for 3" aluminum screws for knee brace isn't going so well emailing back and forth with a sales rep screws aren't available I guess waiting to see if bolts are . Been off the last couple days but had the grandaughter so no progress (or sleep for that matter:)) day shift starting tomorrow so might get a little done after work weather hasn,t been nice either way so not missing any fishin at this point :D