1975 SS 16' Rebuild

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 SS 16' Rebuild

So we got the house!! The starcraft will love the new accomadations, I'm sure. It has a 2 car garage that will be awesome to work on the boat in!! Not having to pack everything up and bring it to my friends to work on it will be awesome. We are taking posession in two weeks, so I will be putting the boat on hold for a little while. But have no fear fellow Starmada-ians :confused: I think thats a word... :D. I will not let this boat go by the wayside. She will be shiny pretty and new this spring. I promise! Matter fact I'm only going to add these next two weeks to the deadline. 5/1/2011. Completed.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Excellent! That garage will be awesome to work in!

fshngho

Lieutenant

FJ, You said two CAR garage??!! In an earlier post you said two BOAT garage. Dude, ya just gotta make up my mind!:D Congrats my friend. Make the missus happy and then get to work.;)

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Can we start a pool as to who guseses the finish date????If most moves are normal it will be about a 4 week delay as you certianly not be ready to do any work for a week or two even after you move in. I moved into our present home 34 yearsa ago and I intend to expire in it some day.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its a two car garage when Toni is around but it quickly and deceitfully turns to a two boat garage when shes not....:D We had a talk about the plans for the new place and I told her I'm finishing this boat asap. Last year we bought a 72 Steury in early April. I didnt have it finished and running good until early August. It ruined all of our summer boating time. So we are not going to have a repeat. She wants to repaint and move in as she paints. I told her thats her project surprise me! I'm dedicated and can't leave a project unfinished almost to a fault. So I say boys place yer bets early ;) LOL Besides I'm only 26:p, I got to much **** and vinegar in me. Sleep??? Who needs that?:cool:

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

You know what will slow me down is this place... Its 9:30 I should have half this place packed up by now :eek: I gotta get going I may have to put some parental controls on i boats for me!:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

A two-car garage will certainly make things easier for you. I sure wish mine had room for two boats:D

Good luck with the new place, lots of good deals out there right now.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

So moving is hard....:facepalm: LOL
I got most of the painting we wanted to accomplish finished, and now I have finally been able to move out to the garage. I got quite a bit of organizing done so far today. I have a ton of pictures that I'm uploading as we speak. Hopefully things will begin to start moving right along again.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

So the boat fits very nicely in the garage! I have a ton of room to work!! I have been emptying her out today, I stuffed her full for the move she acted great as a u-haul also who knew.. LOL I have most of the items out of it now.

SANY2057.jpgSANY2056.jpg

While clearing the boat out though I found a flourescent light with my head and the bulb with my back. After a quick shower to remove glass shards from the head and neck. I was back out there. Although there will be a no bare feet rule in the boat until I ca thoroughly clean. Thats ok though because I think we are ways off from any skiing as of yet. So this light will probably get moved. So as to not have a repeat.

SANY2060.jpgSANY2059.jpgSANY2061.jpg

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have to do this in two posts sorry guys, to many attachments per post.

I'm having a little bit of change in plans now that I have the room and the ability. I will be removing and hanging the engine flipping the boat and painting like a normal starmadian does. So I spent some time today setting up some supports to hang the 85hp from. Those of you that have done this, take a loo do you think what I have going will support the engine.

SANY2063.jpgSANY2062.jpg

I have two 2X4's on end. One end sits on the top of the wall I'm not worried about failure there. But on the other end I had to mount them flush to the 2X6 runnin the bottom of the truss. I couldnt set it on top like I would have liked because it abviously wouldnt have sat flush. With the difference in height from the wall to the 2X6. So I placed a 2X4 under them to provide some bottom support. Hopefully with the pictures you will get the general gist.

Thanks again for the support and advice. :D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

(I am a bit of a hand talker and being clear down in Lansing you can see me, bummer)

So, if it were me I'd mount a pair of 2x4's on the end on the "butt joint" supported by that 2x4 scrap. I'd run em right down to your garage floor so there is no chance of it peeling off and dropping your engine.

Lift off your engine, put in on a stand, and take the bracing off so you can have your garage back.

Does that make sense?:)

Edit/Add: You know what else I'd do? Add some blocking in between those boards there so there is no chance of them twisting/flipping/flopping over.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, course you can tell from that photo there at EZ was sauced while lifting that engine off too.^^^

:p;):D

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL WOW EZ I'm surprised that worked! Maybe I can just convince 2 or 3 friends to hang off it for a little bit to test it..... Hey HA what you up to tonight?? I got a ummm project. LOL

I definetly will add a piece or two between the 2x4's to stop them from twisting for sure. I like the idea of the 2x4 to the floor also. I will think on that one.

Thanks Guys!

Huron Angler

Admiral

I just used an aluminum ladder as a makeshift gantry, it worked well using a heavy-duty winch strap to lift.

I can lend a hand if needed, let me know. PM sent.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your right EZ I looked it up on NADA and they list it at 295 pounds. I guess I had thought it was heavier. Thanks for the input guys!

fshngho

Lieutenant

Can't help myself...what happened to the pi$$ and vinegar? What happened to " the painting is her project" idea?
LOL
Admit it my friend, as we all have to, the Missus rules and thats it.
Congrats on moving in. Although the guys have great suggestions, use common sense, it should hold the motor and it's not like it has to hold it for a long while, but do as Jas say's. Keep up the pics and good luck. Now you have a boat that won't ruin the summer.;)

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

So the engine is hanging and the boat is flipped. She was heavier than what I expected. But the four of us did it. Now sand and paint. The heater is hooked up in the garage so keeping it warm enough should not be a problem. Heres some pics from the flip

.IMGA0022.jpgIMGA0017.jpgIMGA0009.jpgIMGA0033.jpgIMGA0006.jpg

And yes Fshngo, I did have to do some of the duties in the house. Damn it seems about every day this week I keep getting reminded of how old I'm getting. My shoulder hurts from pulling it about a week ago. AND still hurts that used to go away in a day or so. I didn't drink any green beer on St. Paddy's day and I had to paint my house instead of work on my boat....:facepalm:

wrmdunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello FJ, saw in your post of 3/14 some pics that showed your deck. Looks like Cabelas vinyl. It that correct? If so, what adhesive did you use? I did not see mention of specific materials you used. I am planning a resto on my 1974 SS and looking to get my materials together. Here is my resto thread if interested.
(first try at a link....)

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=464010&pagenumber=