1975 SS 16' Rebuild

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 SS 16' Rebuild

That may be the ticket EZ I was looking at some the other day at Lowes. And I dont know about the whole steering wheel seat issue thingy. I have been using this trusty old tape measure thing "almost" every time I install something, now if I could only figure out why it has all these real little lines in between all the big numbers maybe mines defective I never pay attention to them anyways :D

Huron Angler

Admiral

One of my major "oops" moments on my rebuild of the deck was when I realized that my already-epoxied backing plates for my seat bases didn't have enough clearance to fit outside of the stringers.

I failed to even think about that issue...let alone get out the measuring tape.:D

The dash is looking pretty good, and the seat hardware is all shiny and new. Nice work.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

HA, I saw that in your thread that must have really sucked all that work sealing your floor and then you had to remove material. BTW you did an awesome job of sealing the way you made sure it drained into the edges of the ply. I just slapped on 2 layers and called it good.

I thought about some sort of backing plate, but then decided I didnt really feel it was necessary. I have 6 bolts with large fender washers going through 3/4 ply. Whats your thoughts on it feel it was something that was really necessary?

And thanks for the compliment, I have pretty much replaced all the old with all new, I have 3 old pedestals and 4 old bases along with 2 decent seats I need to get on craigslist. I also have a guard not really sure what you call it it goes on the keel of the engine and has a plate that goes under the prop. To protect it should you hit bottom with the prop. Not sure if I'm going to keep it or not, I have to find out if it has any performance issues. The pluses and minuses of the unit I guess.

GT2010

Seaman

warner robins, ga a city known as a part of middle georgia.

I also have a lot of pieces just waiting to bring it all together. Tomorrow I am actually hoping to make a final order of all major items needed to bring the whole thing together. I am further behind you, but everytime I seem to make progress, I find something else that needs to be done. I am aiming for completion by the end of the month. I have an annual crappie fishing trip planned for the end of march with 8 other guys, so the pressure is on to bring my own boat for the first time.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, GT good luck! I'm hopin she makes it out there for ya and troubl free! I'm just hoping for ice off by the end of the month I really want to give this engine a quick spin!

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

th_SANY2045.jpgth_SANY2044.jpgth_SANY2043.jpg

I'm going to be painting my windshield frames today, I bought the rustoleum aluminum primer, and some rustoleum gloss white. I know you said you had problems with this part EZ I hope mine turns out ok.

I also bought this loctite repair putty, I used for a cosmetic repair on my truck once and it has held , so I'm going to try it on the old bolt holes left to me by the PO. We shall see.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I thought about some sort of backing plate, but then decided I didnt really feel it was necessary. I have 6 bolts with large fender washers going through 3/4 ply. Whats your thoughts on it feel it was something that was really necessary?

Mine have held up very well with just screws coated with 5200. I have been thinking about adding a dot of sillycone on the screws to keep water out just for added protection.

I'd feel better if the backing plates were used, but unless you have a 300lb guy leaning back all the time they should hold for many years.

That piece is called a "skeg guard" and is good if you are boating in rocky areas.:)

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I must have screwed up on resizing those last images.
I see the skeg guard sells for about 120.00 I'm not really sold on it being necessary for me, maybe I will try to resell to recoup some cost.
I still have not attached my floors, I'm waiting for this weekend when it supposed to be up near 40 to take it down and give it a good power washing before I attach them, maybe I will give some thought to a backing plate under the seats :confused:

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I spent some time with the boat today. I was finally able to power wash it. The temps hit about 40 today and will be warm the next few days so it wont just freeze on me. The hull looks pretty clean now. The sides are still covered with old glue thats almost impossible to get off. But seeming how I will be glueing vinyl to the sides I'm done attempting to clean them now.
SANY2047.jpg
I also painted to the windshield frame white. It came out alot better than I expected and certainly looks a million times better than the old beat up aluminum. I need replacement windshield braces I found them here on i boats and will be ordering them this week.
SANY2048.jpg
Tomorrow I will be laying the foam and the floor. Then getting the vinyl cut to size for the sides. Sanding the gunwales and prepping them for paint.
I really hope this nice weather stays!!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Windshield looks spiffy and your hull came out pretty clean, nice work FJ!:D

Pugetsound

Lieutenant Commander

Looking good! stand them on there head they all look alike. I added two more flat 3inch strips to help stabilize the floor and for more area to secure it. I think it helped some and was really a no cost item. I cut up some gutter material to use.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the floor attached today makes me feel good!:D
Heres a few pics pretty self explanatory. I used aluminum flashing to make the ends of my ski locker like EZ did. I sealed all the wholes in my gunwale using that loc tite stuff. Seemed to work great. The PO had so many holes in this thing it was ridiculous!! I think he should be banned from using a drill. Or given a manual driver at least then he might think a little bit before just making a hole!! :mad: Ok I'm done :D

SANY2049.jpgSANY2051.jpgSANY2050.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

You are keeping to that deadline pretty well, nice work:)

I agree that whoever was drilling holes on the boat was dangerous:eek:...:facepalm:

What color are you gonna paint the boat?

GT2010

Seaman

I am going to attach my deck this week. Still curious as to laying deck then glassing it together then add nautolex on top or to do it the way you did. Did you wrap the nautolex all the way around to the bottom? Screws or rivets? I guess you screwed right through the nautolex to hit a rib? I know I might be sounding dumb, but I want to make sure I get it right.

Looks great!

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

Another option. The seams can be handled this way. Fill each seam with LocTite and fair it flush and let set. Then tape each seam with NASHUA waterproof butyl tape. The moisture will not penetrate the tape, it is crazy waterproof and won't release, especially when it has floor adhesive coating it before the finish product.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank for the replies guys! The floor really did come out great. Toni came home and said she was very impressed and surprised by how it came out.
We went to look at a house tonight with a 2 boat garage along with it :D;) Should know this week if we got it or not. Definetly excited for it!!!!

Gt I vinyled my floor in 4 pieces. I wrapped and glued the vinyl all the way around the edges. I also sealed all my floor pieces before laying the vinyl. Honestly the main reason for doing it like that was because I dont have a garage to do the work in. With the temps in the teens and single digits here everything has to get put into the boat dry. I was able to have 4 pieces in the house and allow them to dry before laying them in the boat. I attached the deck with SS self tapping screws. I used these nice beveled finishing washers also. I also layed a strip of outdoor decking glue over the top of the stringers.
Last year I bought a boat in april and did not have it finished until early august. I was determined to have this boat complete by boating weather.

HA here is a picture of the boat that we are kinda copying color wise. It will be a very light tan on the hull with a strip of dark tan on top, the interior consoles will be dark tan with white seating.
!B4Q4It!Bmk~$(KGrHqV,!g0E)70qfBYTBMpNFEdBPQ~~_3.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

OK, let's see if I have my time lines correct...

I have been working on my rig for just over a year now and I have 1/3 of my deck installed, unfinished.

My buddy FJ here has been working for a month and has his entire deck installed, completely finished.

Sheesh, how embarrassing.:facepalm::rolleyes:

Hey FJ, nice work man!:D

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

FJ, I have some gold pinstriping leftover from my 2000 Star, would look great with your colors, yours for the asking, PM if interested.....