1975 SS 16' Rebuild

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 SS 16' Rebuild

Got the vinyl sides placed today and I got vinyl glued in the cubby holes they look pretty nice I have a couple little wrinkles in the one. But Oh well. Heres the last pic for the day.
70.jpg

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got some work done today, I got the front carpet laid, the front bow seats framed and in place, and I also got one of the consoles put back in place not sure if its exactly right I need the other one to make sure the windshield lines up. But now to the more important things in life...pictures!:D

IMGA0086.jpgIMGA0088.jpgIMGA0092.jpgIMGA0089.jpg

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Jas, I have a few details to iron out maybe some one on here can give me some solutions. I'm still working on where to put a couple cup holders and I have four speakers I need to place somewhere????? Any Ideas guys?

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

How hard was the carpet to do and where did you get it? I will be doing mine in a few months. Any tips/advice? Was it hard laying it up against the hull? Thanks.

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Jas, I have a few details to iron out maybe some one on here can give me some solutions. I'm still working on where to put a couple cup holders and I have four speakers I need to place somewhere????? Any Ideas guys?
The speaker placement was a tough choice for me. Ended up putting one on each console facing eachother. In other words, if your standing between each console you'd have one at your left and right thigh. Id like to find a better spot but hey since I'm usually sitting 3 feet away I can hear it fine.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Wow nice work, you managed to get the bow pieces cut perfectly to match the curve of the hull.

Not the easiest task for guys like me with two left thumbs:D

Two speakers in the bow and one under each console maybe?

The rig is looking very nice:)

fshngho

Lieutenant

Very nice work DJ. Speaker choice is up to you. How about under consoles in the side panels, or in the ends of the bow seat? No worries about your paint (nice job). I discovered (by EZ) that I had used the rusto latex primer.:mad: Stuff would rub right off.

barato2

Commander

FJ, that is looking great! nice color choices too.

Huron, one way to deal with stuff like that (since i have three left thumbs) is to save the cardboard backing from desk calendars and use it to cut templates, which i can trial-n-error til they fit perfectly.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got more work done yesterday and I have a few quick pics for ya. I got the speaker location figured out. I removed the front oak board and placed a larger carpeted board with four holes for speakers in that And got the passenger console secured and in place. Heres some pictures to keep yall at bay for a while. Thanks for all the input and advice thus far guys!

75.jpg76.jpg.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Ummm FJ, just out of curiosity, do you plan on catching fish or just blowing them out of the water?:eek: Holy Carp Man, let me guess...you like music?:cool Well ok, you just may want to cruise, thats cool. I do like the work you have done and I am impressed with your carpet skills. Nice work thus far Bro, keep it up.

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

That is looking sharp there FJ, keep it up.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Actually I'm not to crazy into my music but I do like it loud everyonce in a while. In my truck I love cranking up my country sitting next to some thug in downtown lansing...makes me feel like a true red blooded american a** hole :)
Thanks KellyC and everyone else the words of encouragement definetly help keep the motivation up!!!! I love how its coming together. Of course their are things I have made mistakes on but nothing major so far. I would have to say it looks nicer than I even had hoped at this point.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I took the plunge today and ripped out the transom, it actually came out WAY easier than I thought. So I will be heading to the store for some more wood and resin. After I got the transom out I was VERY glad I did it. It would have bugged me all year knowing I had rotted wood back there. I also took the Steury out today. She started right up and ran GREAT I actually hate the thought of getting rid of this little boat that engine has performed flawlessly. Heres the add pics I posted on craigs list. I'm asking 1500 I think thats reasonable. 1975 Steury and a 75 50hp Evinrude.

IMGA0155.jpgIMGA0154.jpgIMGA0151.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

And I thought you sold that boat when you got the SS, awesome that you got out on the water today. It was the nicest day so far this year and on the way to Kalamazoo I saw tons of boats out and about.

Made me realize I need to get to work on my transom this week:)

That Steury is a nice looking rig, what kind of speed to you get with the 50hp? That price seems very fair, I'd even raise it a bit to give you more room to negotiate.:D

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea it was nice to be on the water today! I joked with Toni that maybe we shouldnt sell it until we get the starcraft done. We were doing 26 on Lk Lansing today with me her and one friend and man was it choppy, we can usually can do around 28. You can pull a skier with a light load in the boat and tubes all day long with it. Really the only limitations it has in the closed bow and seating for four.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Finally the resin on the transom dried and I was able to paint it, the pain didnt like the resin very much. I might resand and try to lay down another coat over the resin. But for now its in place and fits like a glove.. it might even support a 115hp Johnny??? :D I also got the frame work in place for the front pedestal base and mounted the windshields and painted the splash well. That was the last bit of original paint left on the boat, now the painting is 100% complete. Although I'm tossing the idea around of painting the aluminum trim in the boat, it looks kinda ugly compared to the purty new boat. Heres some pics enjoy and try not and drown in all this damn rain!!

IMGA0162.jpgIMGA0160.jpgIMGA0159.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Progress man! Yah, we have had plenty of rain up this way too, tornado sirens even blew last night.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the front pedestal box vinyled and carpeted, and even had a chance to give "bassin mode" a try. Looks like its gonna be a sweet fish and ski.

IMGA0169.jpgIMGA0168.jpg