1975 SS 16' Rebuild

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 SS 16' Rebuild

Thanks ez!! :) I'm begining to become pretty proud of her myself.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Kerrrr splash!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kerrrr splash!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I managed to splash the boat for a maiden voyage today I still have a few small things left to accomplish, but I couldnt resist. Couple of issues but it can't go perfect for the first time. I managed to hook the steering up wrong?? I have my rack on the bottom of the steering column and so when I turn right boat goes left when I turn left boat goes right.... That made for an interesting ride... :D I also need to move the engine up I'm getting significant drag my cavatation plate is setting to low in the water. I still did 35 mph with 3 ppl in it. Over all I cant complain a few adjustments and everything should be fine. I was VERY happy the engine ran like a champ!! Not many pics the weather was horrible so I only took the one. Hopefully this coming weekend if the rain hold off were going to go for a boating day.
SANY2084.jpg

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: Kerrrr splash!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boat in the water!!!!! Hey it's a Michigan guy too!!!!!

Congrats FJ!:D:D:D

Wow, that musta been a pretty tricky ride! Don't blame ya for not wanting to shoot photos:eek:

Huron Angler

Admiral

The SS looks great on the water, very nice work! :)

I did the same thing last spring with my steering...I managed to deal with it and ran up and down the St. Joseph river all day with no problems. Not ideal though, but easy as heck to fix.

Glad to see you get to test her out, I assume you got the CMC bracket hooked up?

Looks like Lake Lansing maybe, good to know their dock is in, I just need to get my transom back in first:D

emoney

Commander

Looks great, you've done really nice work!

Jayb123

Chief Petty Officer

I just read your resto so far FJ. nice work... I like the carpeting job. I think it makes it seem more comfortable...with carpet :D

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks a ton for the compliments guys.

HA I got the cmc unit to work went to Fulton Electronics and they had the sealed relays I needed I also posted a seperate post of a wiring diagram I put together just in case someone else ends up in the same boat I was in with it. And you nailed it yes Lake Lansing.

I need to replace the steering cable, The jacket is almost broken all the way through. it was good enough for a test run but needs to be done before to much boating gets done. I need to figure out how to remove that thing from the engine first. And I was also wondering if I have to replace the entire rack and rear arm or if I can buy just the cable? I need to do some more learning I guess.

Huron Angler

Admiral

ezmobee always posts a link to a complete rotary steering system for like $120. It includes everything, even a new wheel.

I forget where but it's an online store I believe. Send him a PM maybe if you are interested.

I had a difficult time getting my steering off, it helps to get the cable removed from the wheel first and pull as straight as possible.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I kinda wanted to keep with the rack and pinion sysytem I have heard they are a better system. When I originally read your post HA I saw someone posted a pic in your restore of how to take it off but now the image is deleted. Im still workin on finding some better info. We shall see.

boatguy94

Chief Petty Officer

Congrats on the splash! :D. Boat looks great in the water! Now if only the weather was nicer today... You could be out there...

As for taking the steering cable off the motor here is what BobVT posted in my resto thread.
Disconnect (remove) the steering linkage bar from the cable, remove the big nut on the steering cable and "in theory" the cable slides out however...........

You might need a brass drift or block of wood with a hammer to nudge it along and in some cases.........

You might need to unbolt the motor and move the motor further away to get the slack required to remove the cable

Mine was sort of a pain to get out, and in the end I had to get the vise grips on it and twist one end while pulling on the other. Then put them on the other side and really twisted and yanked. I messed the cable up pretty badly, but my jacket was starting to come off anyways.

Also you're going to want to make it as easy as possible to slide it out once it's all loose. They really don't bend much...

As for getting just another cable, I'm pretty sure you can. I think I've seen some with just the cable, but might as well get the whole new system depending on price (see now I'm spending your money :facepalm:), or just go with the rotary that EZ post's in just about every thread :p.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

http://www.lowcostboatingstore.com/...e-9-ft-to-20-ft-with-STEERING-WHEEL_p_19.html I had a brand new teleflex rack in my last boat and put one of these Uflex rotaries in my current boat. I prefer the rotary. There's less slop in it. I can see how the rack could possibly be more durable but like I said, I still prefer the rotary. Just the cable for your current system would probably cost about the same as a whole new Uflex.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey EZ that is one heck of deal, maybe I will go that way. Is there anything special about hooking those up EZ or should that just hook right up to my johnson no problem?

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I ordered the rotary system, hopefully it comes by the end of this week. So I can do some boating this weekend. Thanks a ton for all the info guys seriously everyone has been great!

dozerII

Admiral

Great job FJ, your boat looks awsome on the water. I did the same thing on my 16SS, backward steering is real interesting. LOL
Glen

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Is there anything special about hooking those up EZ or should that just hook right up to my johnson no problem?

It will hook up no problem.

fshngho

Lieutenant

Congrats on the splash FJ. Ok...good news--bad news. I have had the rack steering system and now have the rotary. I like them both and only went to rotary for two reasons, one, they take up less room under the console and two, they are supposed to have less "play". You can't really go wrong with either system. BUT, in most cases it is easier to pull the motor to install the steering onto the motor. It is one of those things that "almost" will fit but you just need another inch or so. Maybe not for you, but I have never been that lucky. Good luck Bro. Ya need so do a video of the next splash.;)

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the compliment dozer!!

Good to know EZ they said it shipped this am from detroit and could possibly be here tomorrow.

I have to remove the engine and remount it up a lil higher anyways so removing the engine to make the job a little easier sounds like a good plan.

If we make it out on the water this friday I promise there will be a video to go with it.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I need some help people, I have the side cushions in the bow that I would like to install the ones that will go along the gun wale and I'm at a loss as to how to attach them to the boat. I have plywood wrapped in foam then vinyl over the top. How did you guys attach to these???? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a TON!!!

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

THAT IS AN AWESOME IDEA!!! Seriously thanks a ton thats the way I'm goin that will hold it no problem. Thanks for the input!!!