1975 SS 16' Rebuild

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 SS 16' Rebuild

wrmdunker

Yes it is Cabelas vinyl. It seems awesome by the way also, it was the cheapest I could find and I'm not at all dissapointed. I used the outdoor carpet and vinyl adhesive sold at Lowes 13.00 a gallon. And I have used two gallons and need probably one more. I don't know the name of it right now. But if you would like I can go look at the bucket and let ya know.

wrmdunker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tought so. I have been looking to use some more of the vinyl I bought from Cabelas for my side storages but was trying to find a cheaper source. Guess their isn't. I paid $25 per yard. I did use their adhesive despite a lot of negative reviews. I know the Lowes stuff. Glad you had good luck with it. I'll probably use that to supplement what I have left if I run out of Cabelas. I have been following your resto with interest. I too was planning a hanging paint job but am now thinking about a flip. Good luck and keep up the posts and pics.

WD

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I got to warm the garage up with the new heater yesterday made it to 67 degrees. I know it was only 40 out but it made the paint dry nicely.

I aslo sanded the bottom of the boat and primed it. I used 2 full cans of rustoleum aluminum primer. I figure at least another 2 cans for priming the sides.

The sanding went nice and the primer laid down real nice and evenly. I'm really looking forward to how the final coat is going to look.

I also got a very large cutting board from wal-mart 15x20, that I'm going to use as an engine plate off the transom.

IMGA0042.jpg

barato2

Commander

Besides I'm only 26, I got to much **** and vinegar in me. Sleep??? Who needs that?
TO:
Damn it seems about every day this week I keep getting reminded of how old I'm getting. My shoulder hurts from pulling it about a week ago. AND still hurts that used to go away in a day or so.

:D:D:D
wait til you get to be 52 like me.......

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I got some trailer work done on my two days off. I moved the axle forward, and replaced a ton of hardware. I then sanded wire wheeled and painted the trailer black. very simple and did not spend a ton of time on it but it did definetly improve the looks. I need new fenders so for right now they are fenderless. I also have a set of LED trailer lights to install. I ran a new plug and new wiring back but have yet to istall the lights.

I then went on to the boat and finished the sanding and priming of the bottom of the boat. Now its on to the final coat. I think next week that will hopefully happen.

SANY2072.jpgSANY2077.jpgSANY2080.jpg

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I got some work done today. I got the fenders on the trailer and painted and ran new wiring and hooked up the new LED trailer lights. Havent had a chance to test em out yet but they look sweet. I also painted to the bottom half of the boat today. It is a very light tan almost looks white in the pictures. I have the garage at almost 80 degrees right now. So I'm hoping that will make for some quick drying.

IMGA0005.jpgIMGA0002.jpgIMGA0001.jpgIMGA0003.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

The boat is looking pretty good with new paint on her...so's the trailer. I will be catching up to ya soon hopefully:)

That isn't the aluminum primer that has latex in it...I hope. fshngho had issues with that stuff but I am not sure which primer/paint it was.

80 is pretty warm so that should make for a fast cure on the paint.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

IDK HA ???? I used a rustoleum rattle can that says aluminum primer. Followed the cans directions and some ideas on here. I sanded wiped clean then 50/50 vinegar/ water then sprayed on the primer. I really hope it sticks, I'm not looking forward to doing this again any time soon.

barato2

Commander

between that primer and your good prep, you'll be fine on the adhesion.

Huron Angler

Admiral

You should be ok, I re-read fshngho's thread and apparently the issue was that he used Zinc Chromate primer first, and the aluminum primer didn't adhere well to that.

Since you did a good job in prep and applied the aluminum primer directly to the aluminum it should bond well.

Here's what fshngho used on his, before stripping it off and starting over:(

http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=43

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the second coat of paint on the underside today. I'm hoping that if the drying goes well I will be able to put it back on the trailer tomorrow evening. We shall see.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

So heres a couple days of work worth of pics. I got 2 coats on the bottom side. I got the boat back on the trailer. I sanded the top rails got my rear seat boxes built, and test fitted the seating arrangement. And theres more room than I thought there would be. Then I got the top side paint on the sides so you can see the two tones. It kinda came out dark so when theres some good outdoor lighting I will take another pic for you guys. But enough talk heres what you all been waiting for anyways.

IMGA0031.jpgIMGA0015.jpgIMGA0030.jpgIMGA0041.jpg

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

It definetly does feel nice eeing it all start to come together. Especially the color I think it came out even better that I thought it would.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heres an outdoor pic of the new paint so you can get a better feel for the colors.

IMGA0080.jpgIMGA0081.jpg

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

LOL I like it the SS Eddie Bauer. :)
Ez, Toni and I went back and forth on where to start the darker color I have seen alot of people start it lower and have seen some start the darker up higher. I did look at someones post and I can't remember whose it was that left the front piece the lighter color and we decided we liked it. We really did talk it out a ton and look at lots and lots of pics. Were both glad we did the paint scheme this way. I do really like it both ways. Just a matter of opinion really.
Thanks for the input though EZ!!