1975 SS 16' Rebuild

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1975 SS 16' Rebuild

WOW that was a long bit of overtime!! Went to work on Tue and didnt come back home till Thurs morning. I need a shower my teeth brushed and I think I may just burn this pair of underwear...:facepalm: I cant believe I just posted that online...LOL

Thanks a ton for the replies, I can get the garage up to 65 no problem on a 20ish degree day.. its just convincing the owners of the garage that they need to park outside for a couple nights so that my boat can dry is what the problem is the male owner im sure would be sold however the female side more than likely would not go along with it, and I'm not gonna push my welcome.

I think I will go with the lift method. I will remove the engine and then all I will have will be the wieght of the boat to deal with. I think I may do the 2X4's under the gunwales the more wieght distribution the better.

The next couple days will be just waiting for the vinyl to dry on my flooring. Then I will clean the rest of the hull and lay the floor down I cant wait to actually start see this thing start coming together!!

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Half of my floor is sealed and the vinyl is laid. If I focus my eyes and just stare at the vinyl I can almost imagine im sitting in my completely finished boat and its sunny and seventy. :D

I have decided to attach the floor with screws right through the edge of the wood and the vinyl. I will seal the screws but what do you think I should seal the heads of screws with?

SANY2030.jpg

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have my tops to the front seat boxes carpeted. I have one of the hatch doors installed. Its tight, VERY tight I hope that carpet kinda breaks down a little and makes it easier to open and close. amazing how much that carpet adds up when its folded over each side.

SANY2032.jpg
The carpet really seems to blend with my living room carpet in this picture but in real life they are very different colors.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

You're not kidding on those hatch doors. I left what I felt was a reasonable amount of space for the carpet and my doors ended up not fitting at ALL. Like not even close! I was like eh no big deal, I'll just peel the carpet back and trim a little wood off. Nothin' doin'. That Roberts adhesive I used made sure the carpet got ruined if you tried to peel it off at all. Ended up having to remake my 3 hatch doors completely. :mad: Yours is looking good. Will the doors be jambed from underneath?

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

consider putting the hinges under the carpet

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

EZ yes I will be jambing from underneath around all 4 edges of each hatch to prevent the issues you ran into. I'm ust really hoping they loosen up with some use cuz it takes quite a yank to get em open.

Starman I went back and forth as to putting the hinges under neath the carpet or not, I finally went with over the carpet because I went with stainless steel hinges, I like a little shine and for 8.00 for 2 I didnt want to hide their beauty... LOL Toni wasnt sure if it would look finished off the way I did it. But after it was done she said she was wrong and it does look nice.

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

Mine are SS also, but the reasoning was less clutter and better weatherproofing, for example:

I used continuous(piano) hinging, riveted into the lids. The rivet heads were covered with the NASHUA waterproof tape, then the carpet adhesive on top of the SS hinge plates, and then the carpet. Any water coming thru the carpet is blocked from going into the holes created to mount the hinges.

As far as jambing, be careful on having a jamb on the hinge side. Depending on the material and thickness of the lids, you may encounter a clearance issue when closing the lid.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Starman, thanks for the tip on the jambing. I'm pretty much following the directions you sent me on how you did your jambing.
I can defintely see how your job would be a better water sealant. I'm sealing with little dabs of 5200 before driving the screw home. Not perfect but this boat will always be covered and protected, and if it gives me 5-10 years I will be happy hey by then I will have some new great idea for a better restoration and will more than likely be doing that anyways.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got my pedestal bases attached and the ski locker attached. I used 5200 to seal the screws before driving them home. I went with 1.5" 1/4 20 SS bolts for the bases with a large fender washer on the bottom side. I used standard nuts and am now pondering the thought of using nylon locking nuts. I'm not so sure these would ever come lose though they are sandwiched right into the wood.
Heres another living room picture of a piece thats waiting to go into a boat LOL I gotta get this thing together soon I'm not sure Toni is a big fan of an enitre boat worth of parts in every concievable nook and cranny in the house:facepalm:
SANY2033.jpg

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

question on the floor base positioning. If the seats may be 18" across, for example, how will the inside lane be for passage width?

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Starman there is just a little more than 16" for width on the inside lane. Its a little tight but not unpassable. I wanted both chairs to be able to swivel 360 and so they had to pass by the gunwales.

My one problem I think I have now is the seat pedestals are to high I have 11" pedestals and with the swivels my seats sit about 14" high. I may have to return them for a shorter pedestal. Or I may just use a pipe cutter and trim them down to a custom height. They are just a hollow tube with a cap on one end and the locking piece on the other. Not going to worry about that though until I can sit in the boat and get a better feel for it.
SANY2034.jpg

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer

That's a fine seat choice. I almost bot those exact for my 2000 Star until I found Veada out of Indiana who makes the Centric style for $110 per seat.

The resto threads are full of seat choices, and the one thing I caught on was the low profile of the seating as it relates to driver height to the console and steering and their head way above the windshield on SS models.

I like the Swivel-eze 238, like you have, had them on the other Star. They eventually "meld" together from weathering, meaning they get stuck!

I have the Springfield for the driver and front passenger at 9''

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah I think my pedestals are something like 8". I sacrificed my swiveling for a wider pass-through. Mine can still kinda rotate all the way around but only in a certain direction. They aren't really for fishing though so it's no biggie. I have fishing seats I've yet to install for the front and rear. I gotta buy pedestals yet and am overwhelmed at the choices.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I kinda wish I did have more room between my seats and in hind sight I really only wanted the passengers seat to swivel for ease of spotting during tubing and sking. If I could take a mulligan I would tuck my seat a little closer to the edge but not like these are prototypes these are the final product were bound to make some oopses.

I did some work on the accesories on the drivers console today. I attached the fish finder and the compass. This boat also came with a 4 switch panel. I really think I only need 2 switches bilge and lights, and I also had the T&T switch so I was able to remove one of the switches on the 4 panel and replace it with my T&T switch. I sanded it and gave it a shot of rusto gloss black made it look quite a bit cleaner without having the T&T swtich just stuck somewhere. I'm also in the process of figuring out how to hook a tach to the johnny. I want one to the side of the steering wheel. I have a question in the johnson evinrude section but if anyone here has any info I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks!
SANY2039.jpgSANY2038.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Tach should be super simple. Needs a + and _ and hook the pulse lead to a gray wire in the control box. Done.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats what I'm hopin for EZ, I havent had a chance to see if there is a magical grey wire I have heard so much about in my control box but I hope so! LOL

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

There was one for my crusty '73 and it worked great so good luck!!!

GT2010

Seaman

I like following your thread. On your consoles, are you attaching the windshields or going without?

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you very much GT where are you located in Georgia? Toni's dad lives in Dalton. We are planning a trip with the boat down their this summer.

I will be using the windshields. I have cleaned up the aluminum with some comet and steel wool, and test fitted to insure my accesories are not to high to interfere with it. Right now I have been on the hunt for a replacement rubber seal that goes along the bottom of the windshield between the console and the aluminum. Still looking....

Glad to know people are following it, its also kind of nice for my dad, who is over an hour away. He can log on I can call him and we will talk about what I did and am going to do.

keep an eye on it cuz soon its gonna start flying remember I called this my 90 day project, I have a couple more things to get done then I'm going to start the assembly, and if you have been following you know I have a ton of finished pieces just waiting to get put in place.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just used foam weatherstripping for my windshield gasket. Worked well enough. Really looking forward to seeing everything mounted in the boat. (and you cussing when your driver's seat is off kilter from the steering wheel) (whoops did I say that outload? :p)