1975 Checkmate V-Mate II Restore

chrishayes

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1975 Checkmate V-Mate II Restore

:eek: I'm praying they didn't touch the motor!

I cant begin to tell you how lucky I was that the idgiot that botched my boat did nothing to the motor! That seems to include never doing a carb rebuild or winterizing or general maintenence or adding enough oil to the mix or wiring things properly or having any wiring period coming from the stator accidentally misplacing the rectifier but hey, you dont need that if you dont have a stator right?

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I cant begin to tell you how lucky I was that the idgiot that botched my boat did nothing to the motor! That seems to include never doing a carb rebuild or winterizing or general maintenence or adding enough oil to the mix or wiring things properly or having any wiring period coming from the stator accidentally misplacing the rectifier but hey, you dont need that if you dont have a stator right?

Just curious as to what year your motor is and if you have rebuilt or plan on rebuilding your carbs? I know mine needs it, especially since it looks like I might be missing a choke assembly on the lower carb and will need new wiring also.

chrishayes

Just curious as to what year your motor is and if you have rebuilt or plan on rebuilding your carbs? I know mine needs it, especially since it looks like I might be missing a choke assembly on the lower carb and will need new wiring also.

Mine is a 74 and yes I rebuilt the carbs prior to finding my scorched pistons. SO the carb assembly is well rebuild and assembled awaiting the lower end rebuild. It is pretty easy to do. Need help?

78ImperialT

Petty Officer 1st Class

here's the picture, its 30 plus years ago. This was not the original color and you can see it without the windshield when I was done (and the way I kept it). Good luck on your project, it looks like your doing a first class job.

dude! my wife wants to know who does your hair? :D:D:D

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dude! my wife wants to know who does your hair? :D:D:D

I like that. Its a combination of water skiing, salt, 60 mph runs, having natural curly horse hair to begin with and no windshield. It didn't look like that at the start of the day. But I guess I'll have to take some lumps though (remember the 70's?). Sorry its the only picture I have left of my Checkmate boat and it would have been hard to crop me out.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

I like that. Its a combination of water skiing, salt, 60 mph runs, having natural curly horse hair to begin with and no windshield. It didn't look like that at the start of the day. But I guess I'll have to take some lumps though (remember the 70's?). Sorry its the only picture I have left of my Checkmate boat and it would have been hard to crop me out.

I like the hair and the boat! My dad had the same hair style in the 70's also but it wasn't the result from boating. :)

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Mine is a 74 and yes I rebuilt the carbs prior to finding my scorched pistons. SO the carb assembly is well rebuild and assembled awaiting the lower end rebuild. It is pretty easy to do. Need help?

I might need some help depending on how easy it is. Oh, I think the factory put the concrete/mortar or whatever that stuff was in the transom.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Progress is being made. I rolled the boat out and was just going to do some cutting and grinding around the transom and remove it another day but after a couple of hours, this happened...

IMG_2837.jpg

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2844.jpg

Transom has been removed

IMG_2845.jpg

Close up of the wood

IMG_2847.jpg

My template for the new transom

Last edited:

jcsercsa

Captain

Cool threre BigRed. that will make it easy to make a new one !! I just got a little speeder today, a 1968 hustler with a 125 merc on her !! picking it up tomorrow !! John

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Cool threre BigRed. that will make it easy to make a new one !! I just got a little speeder today, a 1968 hustler with a 125 merc on her !! picking it up tomorrow !! John

Sweet! I was just in your thread reading up. What length is it?

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Here is a picture of some jack*sses. :eek: I was waiting to see if I'd have to go fishing for a leg!
retards.jpg

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Here some pictures of what I'm sort of thinking of doing for my back seat, depending on how I hinge the bench.

IMG_2797.jpg

Back seat

IMG_2798.jpg

Storage

IMG_2799.jpg

This is what I'm thinking of doing but hinging from the front so it tilts toward me, cushion and all.

IMG_2800.jpg

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Hay didnt see this there Red . Its a 16 footer . John

ps I like the way the seats fold forward !! that will be sweat !!

Hi John I was actually trying to find something more like yours but found the Mate instead. When you get going on that one, this Ohio boy might need to take a road trip up to Mich. :)

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

After removing the transom, done some sanding and grinding of the stern to prep for the new transom. Sunday, had to go to urgent care due to a scratch from getting fiberglass into my right eye. Really sucked but now I know you need goggles, not just safety glasses. In addition, I spent the weekend making the new transom. The transom is going to get a light sanding tomorrow then going to get two coats of resin on each side and the third coat will consist of 10oz cloth.

IMG_2861.jpg

Transom cut after being traced from the old

IMG_2848.jpg

Pre-cut my cloth that will be applied

IMG_2860.jpg

The inside skin looking good

Last edited:

chrishayes

Nice work, sorry to hear about the eye injury. I wouldnt think of grinding glass without googles.

divimon2000

Seaman

Great project, nice documentation. Keep it up, I'ts now going back together! That will be the most fun watercraft in your arsenal.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Nice work, sorry to hear about the eye injury. I wouldnt think of grinding glass without googles.

Thanks, it's feeling better now. I won't think of using anything now but my goggles!

Great project, nice documentation. Keep it up, It's now going back together! That will be the most fun watercraft in your arsenal.

Thanks, I hope the thread is either useful or entertaining to someone. When it's done, I hope it'll be a blast to be in.