1974 Ouachita Tri-hull Bass Boat Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Dremel, sand, dremel, sand, dremel, sand oh!!! Dremel, sand. Lisa

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
oh yes, Lisa....it's more like dremel, FILL, sand, dremel some more, FILL some more, sand some more........believe me...this will be so rewarding when you are done shooting the paint and you can't even see a hint of the spider webs nor the fill/faring material.. I looked back at my thread (post 165ish)...I had 17 of them darn spiders and I'm here to testify, I could not find any evidence of them right now if ya offered me a million bucks (and I know where they were)...all this diligence will pay off, I promise. The reward is coming....keep your chin up, keep sanding, keep filling until you think it feels and looks like a baby's behind...then sand some more! I've been itching for 11 months now, but the light just keeps gettin' brighter and brighter....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep , but it's the only way to get rid of those pesky :spider: cracks .. Oh well pretty soon you will have it done and you can celebrate ! :party: :dance:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
It is one of those tasks that we never seem to be done with until the boat is back in its natural environment...sanding...
But like they sad, it will pay of in the end with a nice smooth and bright finish...
Remember, all you have to do is Dremel a slightly wider channel in the spider cracks to give the filling/fairing material some tooth to grab hold of, overfill slightly, then fair to the surface...
Keep up the great progress!:)

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you! Happy Independence Day.
Mom wants to know if she's the one putting on too much icing????
:)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thank you! Happy Independence Day.
Mom wants to know if she's the one putting on too much icing????
:)
:lol: Maybe ... Just as long as it doesn't end up in anyone eye we'll be just fine ...

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks woody they are very pretty. Mom says I'm a little firecracker.

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Gus, Lisa, Mike, Sam - you're all so supportive! I think I may have gotten a little dremel happy over the weekend but Sam did some nice filling today.
I don't think we're terribly far from getting it ready for painting - provided I don't touch the dremel anymore.

SOOOOO Gus! Sam tells us you're pretty handy with helping people decide about painting schemes. Do you think you'd have time to give us an idea or two? I'm putting a couple of pics below. There's a blue stripe down one side that Sam put on (painters tape) to give us an idea. We would welcome any help, if possible. OF course, it's ok you don't have time.

Thank you all again for everything!
Kelly

friderday

Chief Petty Officer
Belated birthday wishes, and, yup....looking GOOD! Dremels empower us women..nothing like doing some damage only to prove we can fix it..Blank canvas, huh? What were you thinking? One or two colors? Did Charles have a color palate/vision for it?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looking at the last clean slate pic maybe move the stripe down to just under the crease . That way it has a nice stopping point at the bow intersection . The rub rail is just a U shaped channel that slips over the sharp edge of the top cap joint . All aluminum ...
​Thinner stripe maybe like 1/2" instead of 3/4" ?

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Happy belated B-day wishes!
And yes, I would absolutely enjoy playing around with some colors on the Ouachita...
Did Charles or you ladies have any special preferences in colors?
Let me know and I will get some ideas up for you in the next day or so...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The top cap will be blue and we were thinking about mixing a little blue and white for a very light blue to paint the deck . It would take a little work but a DB/LB thick and thin stripe is an idea . Need to figure out the height of the emblem that would go at the back end of the side . Hopefully enough room to squeeze it in there ..

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
4159_ouachita_160_fisherman_johnson_70_bass_boats_photo_0_img.jpg

This is what the original stripe looke like soooo, how about a stripe like this....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think from talking with Lisa ,Charles wanted to keep it pretty simple . The top cap will be the darker blue for sure .
Now the ? Can we mix the 2 colors of the epoxy with no issue's to make a lighter blue ? Before the second part is added of coarse ..

KC4ZQZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Gus for the ideas for the stripe. I like the solid blue stripes the best. I contacted
Vinyl Approach about the logos, the lengths are 12 and 18 inches but they don't say how "wide" I guess, from top to bottom. After I find that out I will talk with
Sam. You guys are awesome. There are no words. Lisa

jbcurt00

Staff member
You should have no problem custom mixing the blue & white like you did for your MFG, as long as the epoxy paints are the same line by the maker. Accurately measuring the volume, repeatedly, might be a little tricky as many epoxy paints tend to be a tad thicker then oil based paints, IMO.

But given how the MFG turned out, the work you've done on the SIL project boat, and what you've done on Charles Ouachita, you should have NO problems getting to the shade of light blue you want, epoxy paint & all. :cool:

If Vinyl Approach can't get you the logo in the color, style & size you want, try GarzonStudios. I'm extremely pleased w/ the work they did on my SeaNymph capacity plate. Changed the standard font, changed the style of the plate, and changed the 'parent' company listed on the plate.

From a bad pix of my original:
IMAG1505_1_zps67695cae.jpg

To the new one:
SeaNymphCapacityplate_zps46188464.png

It only took 2 emails back & forth from sending the request to final approval of the proof. New sticker arrived 6 or 7days after my initial email. Great outfit & couldn't have been easier to work with.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You can mix the Epoxy paint with no problems. Just mix the base first and then add the hardener after you get the shade you want. To get a blue similar "Light Blue" to your blue on your boat and mine, it should take about a ratio of 1 cup of white and 10 tablespoons of blue. Of course I used Ford Tractor Blue so Your Blue color may be a bit different.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.