1973 SRV 220 OV Resto

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1973 SRV 220 OV Resto

well...the front and rear railings are completely off....don't think they've ever been taken off before, they were held on with pan head screws and nuts...and most of the nuts were partially embedded in fiberglass and paint. had to use the cutoff wheel to cuts some of the nuts off, and use the drill to drill out the head of some of the bolts to get these railings off...

still have to get off:
8 cleats
2 lights
2 light mounts
2 antennae mounts

i'm going to leave the windows in, just clean all the caulking out around the edges.

I half about 1/2 of the cap sanded...but as usual, the weather is hindering my progress...

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well, all the hardware i could get off the cap has been removed. also removed all the the snap fittings for the canaopy/enlosure it had at one time...ground down all the spider cracks in the cap and filled them back in...mostly along the outer edges where you can walk. i found out that most of the cracks were from underneath the edge of the cap where the plywood backing is (or was)..it looks as if there was originally 1/2" ply on the bottom side of the cap, but most of this play had broken off in pieces, so only a thin layer is left where it is affixed to the fiberglass..i'm going to cut strips and epoxy/glass new ply underneath these walkways and reinforce the cap. I'll do this when i begin to make the structures for the rear seating..
I have also filled in all the holes that were left from removing all the snaps and other hardware that i'm not putting back on, or just relocating to new spots.

The entire cap is now sanded down, finished up with some 120grit...had to call it a night after getting stung by a wasp while trying to disassemble the dash..I have discovered several wasp nests in her so far...not good to have, esp. when your allergic to them...

tonights plan, go all rambo like on the remaining wasps nest, and then begin to mask off all the edges so i can get ready to paint the cap...fun fun fun..

I'll post some pics tonight of the work so far

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi bud....

just checking in..
the cap is a lot of fun because your creativity can come into play a lot more.

and i think you will find that you can breeze right thru it....all of the gell is easy to get to and you arent on your back sanding above your head for hours at a time.

im just finishing my bayliner....i did all the interior....and it kinda looks like a bubba job...(but as you said in the above post....im my own worst critic. :D)
coustomers that saw the peices could not tell the difference between pro and me....so i guess thats good....im just finishing the final prep to polish....then assembly....then i can get back on to the big boat.....ive been having a lot of fun on it the past few days....(i took a few early evenings off to go boating)
it really feels good having fun in it....

you really have somthing to look forward to....keep it up !

cheers
ward

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks for the comment fellas....

started working more on the interior and dash panel....of course, in my haste, i now need to replace the gear/throttle control :(

408bbd1e.jpg

87231eee.jpg

aa9cba42.jpg

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

today's plan:
1. move the batteries
2. remove the carpet
3. begin disconnecting the engine in prep for removal

and if time permits:
4. start cutting out new dash panel
5. start cutting out hull side panels

Terry2

Recruit

I recently bought a 1979 220 OV Searay. I am starting to restore her from inside out. I just joined the forum and am intrigued with how well your project is coming along. Your boat looks great!In the next while, I will try to figure out how to start my own thread and post pics etcetera. Keep up the good work!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

mrdjflores,
What's going on with your boat? I hope all is well.
I will be home this weekend and all next week. If you need any help just let me know.
Take care
Bob

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Welcome to iBoats Terry....i really like my SeaRay, she is built like a tank overall...a few little quirks here and there, but overall, they are nicely built...

Thanks for checking in Bob, work has slowed down some on the resto...between funds drying up and getting discouraged on working on her...

I did get the motor out the other day, now cleaning up the bilge area and trying to get the gimble housing off the transom...then i can clean up the outside of the transom and get some paint on it...and touch up some other areas...

nothin too major left to do, just a million little things...

also started to clean out my shed and basement and started to flood Craigslist with crap i don't need anymore...hopefully will bring in some more boat money...

and after today...i'm off work for 5 days...hoping to get alot done with the resto....we'll just have to wait and see

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

wow....18 days since my last post (and logging in for that matter!!!) i'm really slacking...

haven't got much done on the boat in awhile...

i have the engine at a friends house and have removed the old intake and carb and cleaning up everything...new intake/carb & engine coupler (as well as general tune-up stuff) will happen this week...

have the gimbal housing sitting on my table getting cleaned up...new bearing/seals and bellows....the bellows are giving me a major headache...have them all glued and clamped to the gimbal housing...but getting them fitting to the bellhousing is just escaping me :confused::confused:

as far as the boat hull goes...got the transom painted, and now just wating for funds for plywood for the flooring and console....

time is escaping me....

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

anybody got any pictures of a bellows install???

just can't figure out how to get them on the bellhousing

BobsGlasstream

Commander

mrdjflores,
I'm glad to see you back. there are a couple different sit that shows and explains it pretty well. http://www.mercstuff.com/howdoi.htm and http://www.sterndrives.com/mercruiserhelp.html.
Normally you put the u-joint bellows on the bell housing first and the exhaust bellows on the Gimbel side. The you push the u joint bellows onto the Gimbel side and use a exhaust bellow tool to get the exhaust bellows on the Bell housing. Don't forget the water hose goes on both sides first.
Hope this helps.
Take care
Bob

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

should have known i started it wrong...

i have the ujoint bellows, exhaust ebllows, shift bellows and water hose all connected and clamped to the gimbal housing...was now trying to get it connected up to the bell housing

BobsGlasstream

Commander

mrdjflores,
Doesn't sound like a total disaster. The only one wrong is the u-joint bellows.
Just put the water hose on the bell housing and then work on the u joint bellows. It may be the toughest. The exhaust is easy if you have the expander tool. Did I mention that you need to make sure you have the water hose all the way on and tight, You don't want to have to put it back on when everything is mounted to the boat. Trust me. :mad::(
I have the expander tool, I may be able to get it to you next time I'm home. One or two weekends from now.
Take care
Bob

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

okay...just took the u-joint bellow off of the gimbal housing and put it on the bellhousing....have the water hose hooked on both ends...

and have just finished fighting with it for 3 hours trying to get this thing together....bout to douse the boat with gas and have a big bonfire....

the bellhousing wont go down into the gimbal housing far enough to get the u-joint bellows seated....yes, i removed the grease fittings on the side of the bellhousing.....

confused...frustrated...pissed....

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey mrdjflores,
Did you go to the second site I listed on my earlier post? You will need to go to the help section on the top and then to replacing the bellows. You will need to page down a lot to get to the install.
I had to put my hand into the bellows to help it on, while pushing on the bell housing.
I wish I was home I would come up and help you out.
The three stages you listed seems pretty normal for this process too. Don't give up and stay the course.
Take Care
Bob

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i went back and read the instructions on the second link...
completely took out the exhaust bellows...then the bellhousing would press in further and presto...the u-joint bellows snapped into place....
tightened the u-joint bellows clamp and reinstalled the hinge pins....yeah!!!!

i'm done for the night...stop while i'm ahead....

tomorrow....exhaust bellows....first time i put one end of the exhaust bellows on, i heated it up with a hair dryer....went on pretty easy...of course, i never got to the point to install the other end of the exhaust bellows... we'll see how that goes....

did i every mention that i get frustrated and agitated very easily :p

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Glad to hear it man. The guy that wrote those instructions had a since of humor too. Good luck on the rest.
Bob

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Bob, i would have never gotten this far on the bellows without those links you posted...