1973 SRV 220 OV Resto

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1973 SRV 220 OV Resto

going to put the gimbal housing back on the boat tonight...still messing with getting the exhaust bellows on...but also thinking thru-hull exhaust....

million little things...and no money to finish her....

might get to see the water next year :(:(:(

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

gimbal housing went on with no issues...most things hooked up back there.
started freshening up the motor and put the new intake and carb on...nothing to exciting there...

scraped up a few bucks to begin rebuilding the console for the new gauges...still haven't figured out what to do about the throttle/gear control...it was the nice chromed top mount single lever...now it is a pile of broken pieces :(

have a lead on a free side mount control that will use my cable ends, but that means changing my layout some...

need to come up with a big breakthrough on this project to re-spark my interest in it :(:(

oops!

Supreme Mariner

need to come up with a big breakthrough on this project to re-spark my interest in it :(:(

hi my friend.:)

keep the faith.

the mental ups and downs of a project are some of the worst parts of boat building.
for every one thing you do....you find 10 more that need to be done.

before you know it.....you are staring at a mountain of things and you get dejected.

the trick is to plug away on the little things you can do in an hour or two. before you know it...its not a mountain any more.

it is also easier to come up with a few bux at a time rather than a ton all at once for the accessories.

if you do take a layoff from the boat....it takes a few days to get your head back in the game.

if i may add from personal experience.....when the boat hits the water....finished or not.....its well worth it.

we are all behind ya !

cheers
ward

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

WOW Dj...you really been busting your butt! you're more of a maniac than me....you had the motor and all the heavy stuff in when you removed the boat from the trailer...lol = MANIAC! hahahha

a time lapse shot of the re-trailering would have been real interesting...

that paintwork looks phenomenal....the 2 color scheme you chose is SHARP!

I haven't been on your thread in a while (I have 60 threads subscribed uhg) you've made some great progress!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey mrdjflores,
Like oop's said, Keep the faith. It does get hard sometimes but you will get there. I will keep an eye out for another top mount shifter for you too. I seem to run across things all the time.
One more thing if you don't have the exhaust bellow on yet, when I get home next weekend I'll come up and give you a hand. I have the bellows tool and it really helps.
Take care.
Bob

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks for the vote of confidence guys....
it just got real disheartening when we finally came to realize that she probably wont make it on the water this year...which hasn't settle with SWMBO very well...and believe you me..you don't want SWMBO mad...
:):(:mad:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

it does not have to be perfect to hit the water.

it just has to work.

set your goal......you will have all winter to pretty it up.

you can build a temp shift mount out of plywood if you want...

remember.....adam and jamie built a sail boat outta duct tape and it worked great !

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey MrDj the summer aint over yet! :D

you still got a few weeks...and besides....the lakes dont freeze till dead winter...so you've got MONTHS....:eek:

hope all is well! good luck finding the replacement shifter unit.

Rock on!

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks again for all the encouragement...
i did start on the next portion of the project...started rebuilding the console and laying out the guages. I still need to pick up some switches as soon as i finish the wiring diagram and determine how many switches i need.

will post some pics tonight

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

not much work getting done...funds have dried up again....so i'm going around doing a little bit of work here and there on the old boat..work that i can do that doesn't cost anything but time and elbow grease (sanding the full width platform on the back of the boat...cleaned up nice...)

moving along...one inch at a time

BobsGlasstream

Commander

hey mrdjflores,
Keep the faith man. You will get her done. Just do what you can when you can.
Take care my friend.
Bob

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Looks good, that paint looks sharp!! It will be well worth the time and effort when you get her done and back in the water!!

sprintst

Commander

It's been a while since I looked but she's looking fantastic.

Keep up the work with some beer breaks in there :)

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Dont feel bad MrDj... we've all been hit by the bad economy recession thingy...
the wife and I are craigslisting and ebaying stuff to help get extra $$$$

at the least the garage and nooks and crannies are getting cleaner! :p

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks fellas...i did manage to score 5 sheets of 5/8 ext grade plywood for $10 each....yeah!!!!
so i've been working on my side panels that my seats will mount to.
also been helping a friend restore his 79 f-150 truck.

I have made up my mind, without cutting any corners, she will make it on the water sometimes before the end of the year...i would still love to do a cruise up the ohio river after a heavy snowfall...think it would be cool to see

oops!

Supreme Mariner

we are cheering for you...

remember......when you run out of funds.....all that work that requires elbow grease ...(you know ...those jobs that you DIDNT want to do ) are there waiting for you.....after those jobs are done.....more cash will be there....and the ugly stuff is behind you.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

mrdjflores,
Good to see an update.
Nice score on the ply.
I would love to cruise the Ohio river and all the other inland waterways. You have a great boat for it too.
Take care
Bob

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well...little work going on...managed to get the floor down and some of the side panels, have to stop there and get the motor set in so i can make sure i get the supports for the seating in at the right height. which beings me to my next oops...lost my pictures of how everything connected together for the engine. have figured it all out except for the routing of the trim cylinder hoses..

anyone have any diagrams or pictures???
:redface:

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hey bud.....just try to keep them out of the way of heat....attach them to the transom wall.
the routing will depend on where the pump is....but its no biggy.

glad that the deck is in......it is really a milestone in a project.
now your mind can focus on the next steps.....but completion is just a few hours away !