1973 SRV 220 OV Resto

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: 1973 SRV 220 OV Resto

Hey mrdjflores,
Can't really tell from the pic's but it looks really nice.
I don't think it will ever end until we do.
You work looks great.
Bob

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks Bob...paint is turning out pretty good...didn't get the 4th coat on today, but did manage to get a coat of white on the bottom.

then i started working on the trailer...luckily it only needs cosmetic work since it got new axles, hubs, bearings, wheels and tires last year..

got the bunks taken off, going to but on a set of roller bunks :D

fauxmeister

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks realllllly nice...love that color combo! Great job!

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks great!

In doing my own research on the Pettit Easpoxy. They say in their product info that the easpoxy can be used below the waterline if allowed to dry for at least seven days, and as long as it does not stay in the water for more than two days.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys...

as far as using topsides paints below the waterline...
both Interlux and Pettit say that use can use their topsides paints below the waterlines if:
1. Let cure for 7 days
2. Don't keep boat in water more than 4 continuous days
3. Wash hull after use

one suggestion i would make is to switch your trailer to using roller bunkets instead of carpeted bunks..

both manufactures warn about carpeted bunks, not for scratching the hull (which is the main reason i'm switching) but because the hunks carpet holds water, and after sitting on a soaked bunks for several days, it can ruin the paint

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

just some info on my paint...

primer for the sides and bottom: 3 coats of Interlux Pre-Kote
Paint for sides: 3-4 coats of Interlux Brightsides
Paint for Bottom: 2 coats of Pettit Easypoxy

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

a little update....

the hull stills needs 1 more coat of color on the sides and bottom....but been too humid and hot...

so focus has shifted to trailer:
grind, sand, grind, sand....and then blast the living daylights out of it with my pressure washer....got all the loose stuff out of all the nooks and cranny's...

been applying a nice coat of the Rustoleum rust-converter primer over the whole thing...so far she is looking pretty nice...

i nix'd the idea of switching to roller bunks...they only hold 1500# (for the pair), and i know the boat's weight should be pretty evenly balance between the center hull rollers and the bunks....but my beast weighs 3600-3800 pounds...

so i'm on the lookout for some fairly soft, rubber backed carpet for the bunks..

i've also toyed around with the idea of attaching some 3/16" UHMW strips to the hull where it contacts the bunks...or possibly some Delrin or Ultem....hmm...cover the bunks in rubber sheeting???

tdrudd87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look into bunk slicks, or something close to that name, It is like you were thinking, a plastic board to go over the bunks. If I paint my hull I'll be trying that. I do think rubber would be too grabby.

Paint looks great!
Terry

Cptkid570

Ensign

I like the thought of plastic over the bunks.. I'm trying to think of some sort of every day product that you could buy from a hardware store (home depot) and just use it for that.. Like some sort of vinyl siding or that type of that new simulated wood (kind of a composite plastic) that they are using for decks these days. You could get a couple of 2"x8" (or 2x4s if they make them) of those wood planks and cut them up so that they fit over the top of your bunks..

That may be a lot cheaper that going with something made for it.. Then again, it sounds like you are wanting your trailer to look pretty nice. I'm the opposite. I don't mind it if I have the ugliest trailer at the ramp. That way mine is the last to get stolen.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

my biggest concern is the bunks scratching up my new paint

Cptkid570

Ensign

I was surprised to hear that the carpet is not recommended because it holds water that could harm the paint... but, onces the paint is completely dry, the carpet will be ok right? I think it's worth the risk to just use the carpet and let it go. What's the worst case scenario? The paint on the bottom, that no one sees anyway, may get a little discolored?

When do you intend on using the boat? Will the paint be completely set by then? If so, could you just put some cardboard over the bunks for when you 1st put the boat back on the trailer? Then, by the time you use the boat, the paint will be fine to go over carpet??

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well..the big thing is that i'm using topsides paint on the bottom...which is fine for trailered boats...Interlux says that it is used on many trailered boats as long as they are not immersed in fresh water longer than 3-4 days....

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi...

im really shocked to hear that.....

i wonder if a person could just really add huge wax to the area that the trailer hits the bunks.

btw....your boat is looking fantastic!

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great project! I have already desided that the next project will be a similler styler boat as your. Luv the yellow, wont miss that on the water.

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks for the compliments....

you can see that boat from far down the street...the pictures i have just don't do it justice because it's always been in the evening or overcast when i took them....

hopefully she will go back on the trailer this weekend...

and i'll take some pictures of her sitting out in the sun...

get your sunglasses ready :cool:

Cptkid570

Ensign

So you are saying that the boat actually looks BETTER than the pictures? Because the paint in the photos looks fantastic!

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

up close, you can see some flaws....but just like the seats i made for it, my wife says i'm being to critical of myself...

but like many things, we are our own worst critic

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

back on the trailer she goes!!!!!!! of course, my nerves are so shot, i could use a drink...but probably wouldn't be the best idea....

b30007be.jpg

ed2f5e03.jpg

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well, after about 3 hours, she's sitting back on the trailer...now the main part of the resto can now begin...the interior and painting the cap

9d29ebfe.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

mrdjflores,
The boat looks awesome. I really like the way it turned out.She really looks great. I'm sure the interior will also be first rate.
Congrats on getting her back on the trailer.
Take care
Bob