1973 Kona 18ft rebuild

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Been lurking these forums for a month or so. I bought a Boat off craigslist Practically given away actually. An 18 ft Kona (took some time to discover what brand) from 1973. With trailor and a working 1979 175 hp johnson. For only $300. Well I knew from the aluminum sandwich on the transom that atleast that was bad. The inside skin is also partially removed to show the rot in the transom. I assumed since the transom was shot the stringer may be as well. Finally got to work on it today as we have had heavy rains for the past few days. The floor of the boat was spongy and where the ski pylon used to be i could see water gushing out with every step. SO i began cutting out the floor, only to find the all knowing boat builders had not put a drain hole from the floor to the bilge. Apparently they figured screwing holes in the floor would not let water in so no reason to let it out. I had 4 inches of stagnent water under the floor.I had to drill a hole in the bilge well and also another through the stringer to relieve the water from both sides of the main stringer. I have also gotten a good part of the floor taken out. will post pics as soon as i have them uploaded but there are some in my photo album in my profile.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1973 Kona 18ft rebuild

323.jpg324.jpg
picture.php

picture.php

323.jpg (33.8 KB)
324.jpg (28.6 KB)

Last edited:

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

325.jpg326.jpg
picture.php

picture.php

trying to tame the size of my images top pic is mid ship a piece of the floor I cut out where ski pylon used to be it shows 4" of water around the center and only stringer. the second pic is transom on port side where the inner skin is missing showing a crappy aluminum "fix" of the rotted wood.

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks a lot like mind did! I think that will be a very cool boat, thanks for posting it. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!

jonesg

Admiral

That will a nice and quick sled, gut it quick and get it done by late summer.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Nice looking boat...very similar to the older Checkmates. Looks like the gelcoat and colors are in pretty good condition even though it looks like it could use a bath and some polishing.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

The gel coat is badly checked I am going to try and sand it and polish it to see if the finish can be restored. It got a bath already that helped a lot. it is metal flake blue and gold. I will get better pics of the finish, that was a question I was going to ask about anyway. I have read about restoring gelcoat but I am not sure if the clear gel coat on it is to far gone to restore.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have not been back to the boat for a few days. It is at a friends house till I get the motor off so I can tackle that transom. But coordinating our schedules and him having a short deployment for the reserves has not been easy. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the outboard off. The motor does not have a thread at the top of the flywheel to lift. I will have to see what I find for lift points. It is also outside on grass which makes it hard to lift and move a 400 plus lb motor. just want to keep this updated hopefully the post will come faster as I get to actually work on the boat. Tons of inspiration in the builders forums though.:p

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I wonder if you could scuff up the gel coat and clear coat it with a urathane? Haven't seen it done, just a thought. Keep us posted! One other idea, system 3 makes a epoxy clear, that might work? I used it to seal up my seat frame, leaves a really hard smooth surface.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

431.jpg435.jpgHere are more pics of the details that need attention.the gelcoat is worn through in a few spots down to fiberglass looks like there may have been a windshield that rubbed through.
picture.php

Last edited:

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

432.jpgClose up of the non existant drain holes from the hull to the bilge
picture.php

Last edited:

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

433.jpgDash view. Just below and to port of the steering wheel you can see the galvenized fuel tank which is just loose under the bowdeck except it is wedged between hull and the deck support beam. Also you can see how far the floor is cut back. At that point it changes from 3/4 ply to 1/2 ply in the bow.
picture.php

Last edited:

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

435.jpgHere you can see how discolored the gelcoat is also the closer view of this is above showing how poor the gelcoat is definitely needs a new coat of something either paint or another gelcoat. Not sure how to prep for either of those with the current state but I am not at that point yet so .......
picture.php

Last edited:

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

P.S. the thing above the throttle control is a broken sideview mirror dont think I have ever seen one on a boat before rearviews but not side views also there is an ancient can type air horn mounted with a hose clamp.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

hmm just sent a post and lost conection.. Anyway the boat moves to a garage tomorrow and with luck the motor will be removed so I can really start this adventure. It will be roomates with an original 1932 Model A. Might post a pic of that ....Before I enshroud it in protective plastic sheeting.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boats new garage mate. it is now totally covered in plastic hung from the rafters.
DSC_0457.jpg

DSC_0460.jpg

DSC_0462.jpg

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Only had 1 day to work on the boat this week But it was spent cleaning a space in the garage. I also acquired a cherry picker to lift the motor off. So hopefully Wednesday I can actually start this rebuild by removing the motor and start tearing up the transom. I do have to fabricate a lifting plate first though for the motor.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Nice car, reminds me of a freind of mine. He is past president of the horseless carriage club.....last time I was in his shop he was "improving" Henry Fords Model T axle design.....he has a full machine shop so its always interesting! Its funny how long it takes to clean and get set up....my shop will never be clean again after my boat project!! Looking forward to the updates! Did you say you have to make a lifting point? Surely someone makes a lifting eye. My Mercury has one that screws into the flywheel.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah around the bolt for the flywheel are 3 holes for a gearpuller, that is the lifting system for the motor. Of course you can buy johnsons tool to do it but why. A harmonic balancer puller works also.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Made an attempt to work on the boat today. Nothing worked out right and I have not even started the real work. Today the boat was supposed to go in the garage only it would not clear the old car as it was parked. We do not have keys for the car and if you notice there is a giant tire "bike lock" on the rear driver tire. It was moved with car dollies which we I longer have.
So I spent the rest of the day trying to make the appropriate lift point with a harmonic balance puller to pull the motor. Not much luck there either I need the eye and it needs a fine thread and no place in town had one so it is on hold again. Just cant seem to get this project off the ground.:mad::confused::redface: