1972 Silverline Grand Bahama

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1972 Silverline Grand Bahama

There is an extra roller on each side of the keel roller at the transom, I'll get a pic up tomorrow. I could probably build a cradle to go under the transom area. Yes she is thick skinned, I measured the transom today and it was 7/16" thick. Hopefully oops will stop by also and give his opinion on supporting the hull. I will probably start ripping when we get back from our Colorado vacation. I'm pretty sure I have stringer rot to, I just try not to think about it :D

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Boatnut.I think you can do her just fine on the trailer ,As long as she is suported and none of the rollers or bunks are pushing your hull inward,you will be fine. i asked you if she is thick for a reason;being that (dont get scared) boats can "warp" or lose their shape so to say,When removing structures like stringers and such ...but thats mostly only when you take the cap off.Again I think you will be fine.There are ways to support her on the trailer that work just as well as a cradle.
have a nice vacation

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks Mike. I can probably added some supports on the trailer to help support it better. I'll try to get some more pictures from underneath so you have a better idea. Wouldn't the chines help hold the shape some after the stringers are removed? I think there is 3 on each side. The cap is staying on, there's really no need to take it off as there is plenty of room to work.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I got a cover put on it today. I got it set so I can still crawl in to work on it. I can just put a space heater in and be toasty. I took some pics but for some reason they wouldn't load to photobucket? I guess I'll try again tomorrow. I'm pretty much done working on the boat until after our trip. I gotta work 12 hour shifts all week so I'll be pretty beat. Off to bed now, have a great Sunday ya'll.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Here's a pic of the front most keel roller, it has a small roller on each side to help guide it.

IMG_2289.jpg

And here's a pic of the weatherchecked tires, It was pretty nerve racking towing it home but it was only 10 miles and I drove about 30.

IMG_2290.jpg

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

:D:redface::redface:Well,You dont have to worry aboat cracks thats for sure..:D:D

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Those are just like brand new. They look alot better in person than in the pic :eek:

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I did a little work on the boat today. I got one cabin wall pulled out and got the walls and door for the head out. I also got the cosole unbolted. I struggled with that because I was over thinking. I took a little break and figured it out. This project is a little intimidating but I think I can handle it just fine. This is probably the last day of work on it untill next Sunday.

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

Outside of my "workshop"

IMG_2287.jpg

Inside my "workshop"

IMG_2346.jpg

My heater which actually works pretty good. I also have a propane one I will probably use when it gets colder and I'm ready to start glassing.

IMG_2347.jpg

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

There you, go keep up the good work and pics.
It will look awesome when your done for sure..

Pmccraney

Lieutenant Commander

And here's a pic of the weatherchecked tires, It was pretty nerve racking towing it home but it was only 10 miles and I drove about 30.

IMG_2290.jpg

In the deep south, we lovingly refer to our dry-rotted utility/trailer tires as "maypops" - I'm adding a spare carrier to my trailer as part of the resto. Keep up the great work... You are on fire with the work!! I'm glad you are making the merc swap. I think that the best decision, particularly if you plan on keeping the boat awhile. Yes, the stringer is all retro/vintage/original, but my thought process was to favor reliability in the power plant and preserve the "retro" look with the non-working components like vinyl, seating, instrument panels, steering wheel, bow lights, etc... (best of both worlds). Modern power/reliability...old-style look.

Mike Lammert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Man, I have to say that is an awesome rig! With a little time and love (ahem..and money...ahem) she will be a beauty on the water and would make a great overnight fishing boat! I admit I'm jealous! I'll be watching her progress! Congrats!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

In the deep south, we lovingly refer to our dry-rotted utility/trailer tires as "maypops" .

That's funny, I'll have to remember that next time I'm pulling this thing down the road, hopefully with new tires.

Modern power/reliability...old-style look.

That's the ultimate goal, It's a really good looking cruiser but I wouldn't want to go to far with that OMC setup.

Man, I have to say that is an awesome rig! With a little time and love (ahem..and money...ahem) she will be a beauty on the water and would make a great overnight fishing boat! I admit I'm jealous! I'll be watching her progress! Congrats!

Money is going to be the major factor in this rebuild. I will need alot up front for my glass supplies, and finding a donor motor wont be cheap either.

I'm trying to decide what I will need to order for the first round of supplies. I was thinking 10 gallons of resin, (I know I'll need more but that would be a start) Would I need the 404 or 435 resin? I was going to order a whole roll of 1.5 CSM (80 Yards). How much 1708 should I order? I don't want to order a whole roll as that stuff is pretty expensive. I was going to order the rollers also and some milled fibers, cabosil, glass bubbles, and talc. Do I need any roving? I noticed uscomposites only has 18oz. Am I missing anything? I think I will be about done with the demo phase by the end of December as it's going pretty good so far. I still havn't figured out how I want to brace the hull if I need to replace the stringers but I guess I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Boat Nut,
Looking Good my friend, can I pass along a piece of advice that I have found invaluable (I am not saying you are doing anything wrong by the way)

??.I can tell you have boat fever, which is great, but resist the urge to have too many plates spinning at one time. Systematically make your way over the boat and motor, and you'll be on the water in no time.? From KFA4303

Since I began my project this line has saved me a lot of running around. It really helped me get my priorities straight, maybe me sending it to you will help you also. I try to get one thing done and move to the next only after I completed or mostly completed other. This was really hard to do for me at first and lastly while installing the top windshield. 4 days? work time with very little to show for it. I can?t tell you how many times I wanted to say @##% it! and move onto something else but I did not I persevered and got it installed. Now all I am waiting for is enough money to buy the replacement glass panes. Then I can lock it down totally. Just now you are starting your big project and I wanted to tell you the advice that really helped me keep my head on straight. You are more fortunate than I in the fact that you have had other boats and experience. I was a green as grass (still am, really) but I learn and get better every day. I think your boat is beyond cool :Dand I wish I had held out for one configured more like yours. I am trying to squeeze your huge cabin (and all amenities) into my miniscule cabin.:rolleyes: I really wanted the floating motel 6 also. My downfall was the damn fins. Once I saw my boat was a catamaran and had them cool old fins; that was it I had to have it.
Quick question. What is that door on the front of the cabinet under the sink? Fridge or stove?
C-YA bud
Dave

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

That's basically what I'm trying to do. I have to gut the whole interior as the whole deck needs replaced. I am labeling everything as I take it out so I know where it goes back. The biggest setback will be money so I'm in no real hurry, I just try to get stuff done as I have time. I am blessed to have that big ol' cabin but that also means more work to get it restored. Oh well, we have another boat we can use in the meantime.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

Hi,boatnut.
Good thinking you labeling everything etc.
as for your question about the suplies,I have not got a clue but it sounds to me like overkill. (10 gallons)
Thats something you would have to calculate,Besides you have not looked under the deck yet so I suggest;finish your demo and go from there one thing at a time...
P.s what are you gonna use epoxy or poly?

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I'm gonna finish the teardown before ordering supplies, I'm just trying to figure out how much money I need to set aside for when the time comes. I'm going with poly on this one, epoxy is more expensive and takes longer to cure which would extend the amount of time repairing. The boat is originally built with poly also so it would be easier to do any future repairs if I stick with that. I do have 5 gallons of epoxy already. I will use that to waterproof any wood that won't be glassed to the hull.

island mike

Chief Petty Officer

very wise thinking boatnut..
a diving mantra came to mind when reading your last post..it goes something like this..Plan your dive and dive your plan...(but sometimes things go totaly the other way!):D
But any way you said you have got 5 gallons of epoxy.And plan to do future repairs with poly right? Epoxy being more expensive and much stronger than poly I would use the epoxy for repairs and the cheaper poly for sealing wood and stuff....Just my 2 ct.
Another thing,epoxy adheres fine to poly,poly on the other hand does not stick well to epoxy..(has to do with the wax in the poly).Something to remember when working with 2 different epoxsies:eek:...Allright bud.
regards i mike

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I guess I forgot to mention the main reason I'm going with poly is I want to use gelcoat. I know that poly won't stick to epoxy so that's the reason I want to just use poly.