1972 Checkmate MX-15 Rebuild

zool

Captain
Update:

I added a few cross boards screwed in thru the cap holes for security. Then hung 2 3300lb straps as a sling. The flipped her over. I enlisted the help of a friend so I had someone to blame if it all came down ;)

1661276604046.jpeg

1661276643959.jpeg

1661276670511.jpeg

1661276696761.jpeg

1661276714360.jpeg

1661276737030.jpeg

zool

Captain
I sanded down the hull bottom and pad area all the way to the previous gel and primer. This area was rough from beaching so im gonna put a new barrier on. the hull bottom sides where just sanded to accept the 545 primer.

Im planning to spray the whole hull with awlgrip hull guard and then fair it with awl fair. Then 4 or so coats of interlux VC white just on the stripped bottom area and pad. I can burnish that smooth for a slick bottom. I cant paint the hull bottom sides till I put the cap back on because theres some glassing needed when the splash well is.

Im still tossing back and forth on color for the hull sides and cap. I tried ordering awlcraft 2k in blue metallic but they apparently discontinued it. Now u have to buy awlcraft se in blue metallic, which is about $300+ a qt....f that. I dont want to switch brands because I have enough catalyst and thinner on hand so all I need is to buy the color.

So now im back to considering the vivid red solid again, and white or solid blue and white. Either way, I have the hull guard and interlux vc on hand already so i can move along.
1661699202499.jpeg

briangcc

Commander
Just tossing it out there....why not add the glitter to the base color? They sell it for peeps making epoxy counter tops, jewelry, etc. Might be worth a looksee??

zool

Captain
Just tossing it out there....why not add the glitter to the base color? They sell it for peeps making epoxy counter tops, jewelry, etc. Might be worth a looksee??
You wont see it in a base coat, would have to be in a clear coat on top, which i can do with Awlcraft. I would only be able to clear over the blue, the white would yellow so im not sure i want dueling shines.

zool

Captain
Can't wait to see that boat skim across the lake.
I think this rig is going in the bay. We're probably gonna sell the lake this fall and concentrate all boating in the salt by LBI. Im dragging the Century home this fall and putting it in a slip down the shore by the Sea Ray in the spring.

Besides, like Ive been telling you, there no tuna on that lake..... ;)

mr300z87

Senior Chief Petty Officer
More great progress.

I have been playing and boating is salt water my whole life, don't think I could make the transition to fresh. LOL. Never been to the great lakes though!!

BTW I feel you about being lazy when at the boat. Besides not only does it hurt climbing in the bilge of our SR's but just removing the hatches is a PITA also. I still have a list a mile long!!

zool

Captain
The sun came out today and humidity dropped a bit, so I decided to spray the barrier coat on the hull bottom. I washed the hull then dewaxed/degreased. I mixed up a batch of the hull guard, without reducer, and tried spraying with the 1.3 tip, did next to nothing, just clogged up lol.

I threw a 1.5 on and a little better, but still no good. i switched over to the gun that I sprayed the gel coat with, that had a 2.5 on it, and that did the trick after reducing the max at 15%. It goes on like an epoxy gel coat, and now I have a nice sealed bottom with a hard candy like shell on it.

The 3 tips soaking
1663099404884.jpeg

one nice coat is all it needs per tech sheet.
1663099445621.jpeg

1663099476203.jpeg

I didnt mask it because i dont want any hard lines yet. Ill mask off for the Interlux VC after i fair it all, and get a few coats of 545 primer to seal it.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
So is the hull guard the finish coat ? Or like a thick primer ?

zool

Captain
So is the hull guard the finish coat ? Or like a thick primer ?
Its an epoxy substrate primer/barrier coat. Its for coating raw glass, metal, or wood, and it helps with adhesion of awlfair. Im only using it for the hull bottom, its rated for below the water line, and also im using for the hull interior. It will be top coated with Interlux VC, an epoxy hard bottom paint that can be burnished to a slick finish.
The catalyst is a thick amber syrup, like epoxy resin catalyst, thats why its tough to spray.

neither are UV resistant, so they will chalk in the sun.

alldodge

Staff member
I put 3 coats of VC on my hull, it is slick and hard. Only issue is anything that gets the sun a lot will yellow