1972 18' Starcraft Restoration

Bestmason

Seaman Apprentice
OK here we go. I am new to this forum. A little bio. My name is Ed, I am 55 as of Dec. 1. I've been looking for an aluminum V-hule and found one. By title it is a 1972 18' Starcraft. It was out behind a Ford vehicle dealership where my truck was being repaired in SC. Yes a Ford dealership. I live in NC. I asked 1 question, "What is the story on the boat?". 600$ later it is at my house. I have read a lot of the threads here and really enjoy all the help offered. The first help I need is how to post pictures to the thread. I will need a lot of advice and I will Post a lot of pics as I can. Oh yes, it has a 1982 Evinrude 90 on it with a Load Rite role on trailer. Hope I didn't get hurt to badly. Thanks in advance, Ed

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1972 18' Starcraft Restoration

Why would you have any questions after buying a Starcraft from the back of a Ford dealership, Bestmason? :joyous:

Welcome to the world of Tinness. Once you get some pics up so we can see what you have, all kinds of suggestions and ideas will be coming at you. Have fun.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander

Welcome to Iboats, Bestmason. OK, it's been 4 hours, where's the pictures already? - Grandad

jvanhees

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like a pretty good deal! PICS! :)

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Did you guys see any photos of the new guys Starcraft yet?

Yah, me neither.

Oh well, maybe I'll go get a snack or something :hungry:

SigSaurP229

Commander

No but we are 13 hours and 40 minutes from lighting the torches and getting the pitchforks without the pics

Bestmason

Seaman Apprentice

Ok men I have been working on Photobucket and I hope this Works. Here is a couple short vids showing the 1972 Starcraft:

Boat Is Home Slideshow by Bestmason | Photobucket.

I hope it works. If it does can anyone tell me what model it is. It does have an open bow, the center console is not original. The shifter is a side mount.

Here is a slide show of what I found after my first day of demo along with my demo artist.

My Best Help Slideshow by Bestmason | Photobucket
1st Day Of Demo On Starcrft Slideshow by Bestmason | Photobucket

Tnstratofam

Commander

Wow that's good progress for the first day. I'm sure your helper made quick work of the tough stuff. He sure looked like he was having fun.. I'll be tagging along if that's ok.:pop2: Using the engine hoist to get the transom out, now why didn't I think of that.:doh:

:welcome:

Bestmason

Seaman Apprentice

I see vids did not work, try this:

hope it works. Ed

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Welcome to the fold Best!

You're making short-work of that SS (pretending to be a Mariner)! :thumb:

good little helper you have there!

you've got quite a bit of corrosion on that transom skin and knee brace. Our corroded-tinny support group meets 9pm every Sunday evening :lol:

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander

Am I not seeing that right or was that bow seating made of clear acrylic?!

Cool boat, man, and impressive progress thus far!

pckeen

Commander

That Looks like a Supersport that someone has converted into a center console.

You'll want to get all the paint and corrosion off the transom of the boat - looks like you'll need to repair some holes there - there are several threads on here about how to do that - it may be you can JB Weld the holes, but depending on the extent of the damage, it may be worth riveting on a second skin of aluminum over the old, along with replacing the transom wood.

You and your helper are going great guns!

SigSaurP229

Commander

Nice work man, you definetly have some corrosion issues to deal with but really no big deal, luckily there is no pour in foam in that hull to deal with so it will certainly make tear down quick.

SAVE the forward bow floor piece if there is ANYWAY possible at all it will make for a MUCH MUCH MUCH easier time cutting the new piece.

Go get some aircraft stripper from advance auto parts, it will make removing that house paint a snap.

If you need any help at all just shout you have the Starmada in your corner now.

Ohh and as far as price I would call it a Great deal as you have alot there to work with.

I paid $900 for mine, its a 1983 with a 1981 Johnson 115hp on the back and it looked like this when I brought it home.

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral

Transom looks to be in rough shape and may have been made out of pressure treated ply? A total NO-NO in an aluminum boat. Strange choice of material for the front compartments.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020

Transom looks to be in rough shape and may have been made out of pressure treated ply? A total NO-NO in an aluminum boat. Strange choice of material for the front compartments.

Quite brilliant bow deck design....aquarium style livewells! :lol:

Tnstratofam

Commander

Ok so are you trying to light a fire under all the rest of us by speeding through your teardown? I'm just kidding.. Really great looking progress so far. You really do make me want to go straight out to the garage and rip my rotten transom out like tonight.