1970 Jupiter V 16' Restoration

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Starcraft club can I join ?

Hey Vegas I havent really done much to the cutter other than scrub it down with a blue scotch brite and some bar keepers freind :D. That one will be winter project most likely . right now she is sitting Bow WAY up waiting patiently for me to get to her . She should actually be a reasonably easy resto all things considered she has been locked away in a garage since 1991 :eek:. I figure she most likely spent alot of her life in there even before she was put away for good as the chrome is in amazing shape on her . Heres a link to her resto thread but like I said I havent done much but a little cleaning thus far with the Jupiter under way :D.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=315984

Rick

North Beach

Commander

Rick that danged paint is lookin good!!!!! Now flip er over and get to work:D

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rick,
As many others have already said, it looks fantastic. The red really has a nice shine to it and I think it would match my truck nicely!
Hey maybe the next one! At any rate, keep up the great work it will be worth it in the end and from the looks of it, that end is sooner than you might think.
Be careful,
John

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL NB thnsk for the kind words :D compared to your paint mines not even close I could haave sprayed it but to much pain in the hind end to set up a temp booth in the garage and keep the morons UM UH I mean my Familly out . As far as gettin to work thats the good news I actually was at work today instead of sittin here hngin out and putting paint on the boat :D. I have one more day to let the red set up good sooooo saturday if things work out she will get her stripe nd the dividing line between the sides and bottom finished . Then next week we set her back on the triler and start on the topside :eek:.

John Thanks to you as well although I think your alot closer to the water than me .

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

Ok not much of an update here been running like a mad man giving bids to insurance companies for furnaces and such that got a little damp last week with the floods . I did manage to pick up 2 rolls of the ( green tape ) yesterday so if the weather will work with me this week I might just get the bottom paint done . I still hve to get the carpet for my bunks before I flip the boat back over but hopefully by the weekend she will be back on the trailer . I will updte pics as soon as I have something new to show this week :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

:DSooooooo:D
An update that there is no update?
WTH???
Ya know I live vicariously through you guys when I can't work on mine!
Ya hurt me Rick, ya hurt me bad..

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Kev I will make sure to put up some ( real updates ) this week while you are in Naaaaaaaaaawleeeeeens :D. Speakin of which are ya there yet or did ya get a nice layover in the ATL again :D.

Rick

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hey Kev, I worked on mine yesterday! It was a real interesting project.....I slathered some JB Weld on a bunch of suspected leaky rivets to try to prevent a possible sinking at the dock next week at the shore :)

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I know you will...You know you will..thats good enuff for me..

Actually I have a 6 sumthin PM flight so I'll get into Voodoo city round 10:30 tonight..

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rick,

Just looked at your Flickr page and WOW...nice work so far. I noticed you have two supports running fore/aft that my boat did not have. This will make installing a new deck much easier it think.

Also noticed your PO changed out the steering. I am assuming that all these early 60's Starcrafts had the pully system. This is on my list of improvements (Telflex) as I generally have to tighten up the cables and check the spool under the dash each time I use the big outboard.

Lastly, did you happen to update your trailer and give it the once over before putting the boat back on? Bunker covers, paint, and rollers are nice to have fixed up...especially when you have such a beauty sitting on top of it.

Good luck...she looks great.

Wes

Rickairmedic

Commander

Thanks Wes actually the Teleflex type steering was stock on the 70 Starcrafts . I still have to replace the cable on it as well as all the other cables .

I think your boat was set up more like the Jets and Jet Stars and didnt have a flat deck in it from the factory .

I havent gotten to the trailer yet been a little tight lately on Boat/play money with unusually cool weather here in Louisville havent been selling any AC units for the last month . I hope to have the trailer done this week as well as finishing up the redo on the bottom paint so I can get the boat back on the trailer and get to work inside her . I still have a long way to go but as long as I can splash her a few times this season and get all the buggs worked out before Tinstock next year I will be happy :D. The good news is the recent floods and now HOT weather are making up for July being cool LOL. I have to get something done this week to keep Kev entertained in Naaawleeeeens :D.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

rick and kev, you guys can live through me if ya want... just keep reading my tread over and over and pretend that it is a new project each time!

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Andy North Beach is doing a pretty good job of entertaining at the moment . I hope his troubles are behind him now and he can enjoy the Liquid Limo :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Hey Kev, I worked on mine yesterday! It was a real interesting project.....I slathered some JB Weld on a bunch of suspected leaky rivets to try to prevent a possible sinking at the dock next week at the shore :)

yikes! They should sell gluv-it in a small sqeeze tube..
Wait..Did ya have to do this outside the hull EZ?

Hope Rick dont mind a slight hijack to his thread! lol

Heck, were all familia?

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Kev were talkin Starcrafts thats not a Hijack in my book :D. Plus yall know EZ's boat is one of my favorites :D.

Rick

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

yikes! They should sell gluv-it in a small sqeeze tube..
Wait..Did ya have to do this outside the hull EZ?

Oh it's on the outside alright. As you know I did my project before acquiring all the knowledge of this forum so I didn't know about Gluvit before I put my floor in. To be quite honest my boat leaks like a sieve. I took care of the major culprit last year (an outright hole near the stern on the keel) but there were still some loose rivets. It's rarely an issue for me as I only have my boat in the water for a couple hours at a time. But since it's going to be docked for week next week I thought I'd throw some JB on some of the rough looking ones. I'll also be installing an automatic bilge pump tonight.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Well EZ sounds like a winter project :D We know you hate that carpet anyways this way you can have a nice pretty new deck for Tin Stock :D.

Rick

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

HA! Not bloody likely. I think I've done as much as I'm going to do to this Jupiter. I'll employ all my new knowledge on my eventual SS.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Speaking of knowledge I put a new thread in the Starcraft forum on tips and tricks so since I have everybody here if you have one that might help a newb be sure to add it to the thread :D. I will try to do a gluvit tutorial when I get to that point since we all know now thats a fairly important thing on these here Tin Cans. I guess I could do one on how not to tape off stripes and such on your boat as well :D.

Rick

78ImperialT

Petty Officer 1st Class

taping stripes can be pretty tricky... i spent hours just doing tape for the side stripes on my imp.

hours of prep...seconds of paint

lol...like women! :D