88 Johnson 225 No Tell-Tale Question

equalized

Recruit
I've lurked this forum for a while and finally ran into something that I couldn't find using the search. I actually have a number of questions, so feel free to answer those that you can.

I recently purchased a 1988 Johnson 225 (J225CXCCE). The place I bought it from said they did a lower unit overhaul and replaced the water pump, but the motor has been sitting in a shipping crate for 3 years.

I just finished installing the motor on my boat and I'm getting ready to launch it. I put muffs on the motor and fired it off last night for the first time. It seemed like the water pump was drawing water in to the motor because there would be lots of water leaking out of the muffs before firing, but then very little when the motor was running. Water was leaking out a little between the lower unit and the mid section, and otherwise just exiting out of the prop and ports near the far aft of the lower unit.

I let the motor run for about 20-25 seconds and saw no water come out of the tell-tale/pee hole so I shut it down. I tried a few other times letting the motor run for 10 seconds or so and no water. My previous outboards have always been smaller and they started peeing almost instantly. Maybe I was being too cautious?

It would appear that both heads have a thermostat on them that would prevent water from flowing out of the pee hole until the engine warms up. There also appears to be a valve that changes the flow out of the pee hole based on throttle position.

Does anyone have a water flow diagram for this engine? I ordered a clymer manual for this motor, but it hasn't arrived yet.

After work I was going to look for the water feed line from the lower unit (assuming there is one that is accessible) to try and see if that is clogged. I read that some motors have a 13/16" bolt that opens up to the water jacket, does this motor have that?

How long can I safely let this motor idle with the muffs attached to see if the t-stats open up? The motor got warm after the 20-25 seconds of running, but certainly not hot.

Thanks in advance!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 88 Johnson 225 No Tell-Tale Question

i would never trust an impeller that has been dry for 3 years.

equalized

Recruit

That's interesting that the impeller in the water pump would go bad just by sitting in storage. I hadn't thought of that. It really seems like it is working properly, just no water out of the tell tale.

Any idea on whether or not water should be coming out of the tell-tale in 20-25 seconds of running?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

hose could be clogged, remove and run something thru it. the impeller is rubber, dry for 3 years it deteriorates.

gsyfishy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Big motor, needs alot of water to fill cooling passages, you may want to check all of the water lines for restrictions. You can use a piece of copper wire to feed up pee hole, easily, as you dont want to poke through the tubing. Also pull your t-stats, they are on the top of each head, mud dobbers are notorious for gaining access to pee holes, now thats funny!

equalized

Recruit

I was thinking about removing the t-stats. Wasn't sure if I could reuse the current gaskets with a little RTV silicone on top or if the gaskets simply stay good. I guess if they don't leak then I should be all set. I will probably boil them to make sure they are responding properly since I'll have them out of the head anyway.

Thanks for all the advice on things to try. I've got a pretty good list.

Still no consensus on how long this motor needs to run at idle before the thermostats open up and water starts coming out of the pee hole though?

clanton

Rear Admiral

Thermostats does not control the water thru the water flow indicater. Block wholes about 5 gals of water. Muffs may not be suppling enough water. New waterpump kit, remove the thermostat cover and thermostats, at 2000 rpms water should gush out of the heads. Thermostats start to open at 143 degrees F. The 2 hoses from the thermostats should go to a water control valve on the starb side of the engine, the water flow hose is plumb into this maze of hoses. It is inportant that these hoses are connect to the right place, and no kinks.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Agreed. New water pump kit (not just an impeller). As mentioned, the internal water passages are huge in this motor. It may not have water out of the indicator in just simply 20 seconds. And, as mentioned, do not remove the t-stats.

clanton

Rear Admiral

More. If you look at the BRP parts list on line , you should look at all models of that engine, the block and water system is the same. Some of the item numbers are incorrect and would lead you to the wrong part. Thermostats and thermostats seats were change per service bulletin. If you need a lot of parts for the water control, you should be able to convert the thermostats and loose the water control valve. DHadley will have the details for this and which year it will work on.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

More. If you look at the BRP parts list on line , you should look at all models of that engine, the block and water system is the same. Some of the item numbers are incorrect and would lead you to the wrong part. Thermostats and thermostats seats were change per service bulletin. If you need a lot of parts for the water control, you should be able to convert the thermostats and loose the water control valve. DHadley will have the details for this and which year it will work on.

I believe I read it was 1993, however Dhadley will know for sure.

equalized

Recruit

Great info guys!

I dropped the lower unit last night. I installed a new water pump, but the lower exhaust seal was mangled and mashed from the last person who serviced the lower unit. I should have the $10 part tonight to put everything back together properly.

The copper pipe that runs from the water pump up the midsection had a few dents and dings in it as well as a slightly mashed up end. I did my best to straighten and fix it.

Hopefully tonight I'll be able to say whether or not everything is working as expected.

Thanks for all the help thus far.