1970 Jupiter V 16' Restoration

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Starcraft club can I join ?

OK so today we got another coat of red on thats 5 one to go tomorrow .

DSCI0163.jpg

I figured I would also show kev what a rattlecan paintjob is supposed to look like . Ths is the new color my youngest wanter her dresser for her NEW room I call it :eek: green.

DSCI0161.jpg

DSCI0162.jpg

Thats one coat of primer on the dresser and 2 coats of :eek: green . The boat gets one more coat of red and then 2 days to set up before we try the stripes again .

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

lol..thanks for rubbing (spraying) it in Rick...Your just begging for a visit aint ya?? Trust me you dont want a visit!!!:eek:

But...The red turtle looks fantastic!:D

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Kev just wanted to show you I didnt spend the whole day sittin here waitin for new Starcrafts to show up :D:D;).

Rick

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Rick,
Lookin good, maybe you should try a green racing stripe on your turtle:eek:

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Bret I could see green but not :eek: that green

Rick

North Beach

Commander

Go with the green Rick and you could name the boat The tortuga!
BTW, looks danged good!

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL NB I truly appreciate that comming from the guy with the sweetest Starcraft on the board :D. The green I just dont think so :D and we will get to the naming vote once its ready . The crew did good on your boats name and I know they will make the right decision on mine :D. Although SWMBO of course gets final say since she puts up with me and my toys :D.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

Rick, that?s ok I am looking for an I/O hull. The Sea ray has a 3.0L in it and I?m going to switch everything I can into a Starcraft, gauges steering ect.

I just have to wait a couple months now to build some capital, spent 900.00 on the Sea ray and I need to register it so we can get on the water with it until I get the SC. Then after I get the SC ready off to the dump with the ray.

BTW I think I have already convinced her that doing all that work with the glass would be a bad idea, I told her with the aluminum hull and stringers all we will need to replace is the deck and transom. Then we won?t need to mess with all of that grinding and we can seal up the wood real good in the SC and we will be set.

Jeff.
I used almost that same argument with my wife! actually the analogy i used was pretty clever. i told her that working on a glass boat is like making a cake from scratch, and making the frosting from scratch. aluminum is like making a cake from a box and frosting from a jar...

OK so today we got another coat of red on thats 5 one to go tomorrow .

DSCI0163.jpg

I figured I would also show kev what a rattlecan paintjob is supposed to look like . Ths is the new color my youngest wanter her dresser for her NEW room I call it :eek: green.

DSCI0161.jpg

DSCI0162.jpg

Thats one coat of primer on the dresser and 2 coats of :eek: green . The boat gets one more coat of red and then 2 days to set up before we try the stripes again .

Rick

Hot damn rick!!! I likes it!

Rickairmedic

Commander

Thanks Andy one more coat of Red this afternoon then I have to be patient and wait a ouple days before I try the stripes again. I hope to have her back on the trailer this comming weekend.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

Thanks Andy one more coat of Red this afternoon then I have to be patient and wait a ouple days before I try the stripes again. I hope to have her back on the trailer this comming weekend.

Rick

go ive been meaning to ask... whats the purpose of multiple coats of paint? i did 2 on mine and have 100% coverage, what would have been the advantage of doing more?

also are you sanding between coats?

Rickairmedic

Commander

Andy honestly the main reason for multiple coats is more paint more protection. I honestly didnt intend to have more than 4 coats of red buuut there was that whole tape thing :D. I had to feather all of that mess out which gave me bare aluminum in spots again so I had to pretty much start from scratch again there :D. I am planning to color sand and buff as well so thats another reason for so many coats :D. Check out show car paint jobs some of them can have as much as 30+ coats of paint on them :D. I will admit this boat will never be a show boat theres to many dings and scrapes under the paint but I still want it as good as it can be :D.

Rick

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

wow...that boat in the background looks familiar

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Howdy do DJ havent seen ya since ya got a boat that actually floats :D. I did notice somebody sellin a deckboat project on Crigs yesterday ;). So hows the Old Larson doin did your buddy splash it yet . I still have 3 here and still look every day for more LOL.

Rick

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

had mine out a few times already...been helping neighbor with the larson..got the engine move forward, new coupler in , and started puttin it all back together....i'm hoping the JB Weld on the block holds up okay...got the block in place and started to put the drive back in, but lost my alignment tool :(

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yeah..that was my ad...sold off most of the stuff, but really been thinkin of keeping the lower hull and turnign it into a fishing boat...but also sold the trailer it was on (well traded it..guy offered my a winchester 45 blackpowder rifle w/scope)...not really much of a gun guy, just didn't wanna put that trailer back in my driveway

Rickairmedic

Commander

JB weld on the block? Only problem I knew of was the coupler it hadnt even been fully dewinterised yet when I got it .

Rick

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

we found a nice long (6" or so) crack in the block, below the piston chamber...thinking there might have been some water left in there...
other than that, haven't come across anything that was a big surprise...changed oil and plugs...hoping to fire it up tonight

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kewl let me know how the test fire goes . I would be surprised if theres any problems with the block . The kid I got it from was the second owner and his Mom and Dad who lived next door ( boat was still in their names ) told me the coupler went on them out on the lake ( he didnt know it was the coupler ) and they braught it home and winterised it and it sat there in his yard under a tarp until this summer when I got it and he hadnt finished dewinterising it when I baught it .

Rick

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well...didn't fire it up tonight...couldn't find an alignment tool to put the drive back in.

the rest of the drive system is in really good shape

Rickairmedic

Commander

Well at least the drive condition is good news :D .

Rick