1970 Jupiter V 16' Restoration

Rickairmedic

Commander
Re: Starcraft club can I join ?

HA yes she is a short shaft and Honestly I dont know how she runs yet other than dunkin her in a bucket . She was moth balled for almost 20 years in a garage along with the 1960 Cutter she came with . There is a place online I have linked to a few times that deals mostly with old Mercs and I will be able to get the right Cloud White paint for her and thr Decals to make her look new and they have most of the internals to make her run like new although from what I have checked so far I think the internals are in good shqpe other than the impeller of course needing replaced . That boat will be a winter project 14'er will fit in the garage with room to spare :D.

Rick

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is the coolest OB I have ever seen. :cool:

The chrome and the lines on the motor cover are just kickin'!

WesMason

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I remember that boat. That motor is HUGE and the black "layers" made it look like a powerplant of some kind.

I'm a sucker for the chrome though...Rick takes the prize in my book.

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Thanks Wes hopefully this winter I will get that motor in the garage ( after the Starcraft is done ) and get it redone so it looks like new again and runs as well :D. Granted I also have to get my 63 ford in the garage this winter and strip it down to the last nut and bolt and put it back together before next september . I have 2 Stocks planned for next summer Tinstock for my Starcraft and then Slickstock for my old F100 :D. Lots to do not enough time :D.

EZ that is a pretty motor and it looks like at least a 6 banger :D.

Rick

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only admirer of Rick's Mercs:D

Hey Rick do you have a preference as far as what the name of your outboard motor fan club should be?;)

Rickairmedic

Commander

ROFLMAO HA none at all honestly :D. Hadnt even thought about it now that ya mention it :D.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

rick, you have a pm

Rickairmedic

Commander

Heeeeeeeeeey Kev are ya home yet I got pictures . The bottom is officially finished other than a few quick touchups with a very very small brush . The seperation line and stripe are on her and no paint peel this time .

DSCI0169.jpg

DSCI0170.jpg

DSCI0171.jpg

DSCI0172.jpg

DSCI0173.jpg

Now I can finish up the trailer stuff and get her back on the trailer YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Rick

wvmedic

Chief Petty Officer

It's looking good Rick.

Jeff.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Thanks Jeff little bit at a time little bit at a time :D.

Rick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Looks great Rick!
Got back in late last night and have been pretty worthless today..Cept we went out and got a bilge blower...

Gonna take the other third out to the movies...

Rickairmedic

Commander

LOL Kev you and the Boss have fun at the movies . Tomorrows a new day to play with the boats :D. I may even get the bunks done on the trailer and get her back upright . Wish I coulda gotten you an update while you were stuck outa town but I wasnt touchin the tape till I had at least 5 hours of daylight and nooooooooo rain in the forecast :D.

Rick

KD Fisherman

Seaman Apprentice

Rick,

I spent a couple of hours and read through your entire thread. You are doing an amazing job and will have a brand new old boat that is of much higher quality than a 2010 model. You, the starcraft crew and Huron Angler really inspired me to restore my old 14' Klamath aluminum and hopefully upgrade to something larger in the future. The paint looks amazing and I sure appreciate you taking the time to post the pictures and words of advice. It helps us first timers out.

Cheers,
Kyle

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kyle thanks for the Kind words . I look forward to seeing your progress on your own Tin Can 14' isnt really that small mines only 16' and I do have a 14' Glass boat the one in my avatar :D. Let us know if you need any help or have any questions . I have learned alot here thanks to the Starcraft club and Tin Can crew :D. We started a tips and tricks section in the Starcraft forum to help new guys get through their Tin Cans . Not much there yet other than Jim BC's great tutorial on getting the wood trqansom out without fubaring your boat :D. I hope to be adding to it though as I progress through mine ( still a looooooong way to go ) .

Rick

Rickairmedic

Commander

Kyle if you want a nice LONG read check out North Beach's thread down in the completed section on his amazing Starcraft the Liquid Limo :D.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

rick, i REALLY Like the stripe. it really adds another dimention to it. good job! wha are you doing with the transom, red or white?

Rickairmedic

Commander

Thanks Andy :D. Actually I am still on the fence on the transom theres actually 3 options .

1. solid white

2. solid red

3. continue the colors around the back from the sides stripe and all:D.

The good news is I can make that decision once she is back on the trailer . Gonna rebunk the trailer tomorrow and then its time to flip the turtle :D.

Rick

Andy in NY

Commander

Thanks Andy :D. Actually I am still on the fence on the transom theres actually 3 options .

1. solid white

2. solid red

3. continue the colors around the back from the sides stripe and all:D.

The good news is I can make that decision once she is back on the trailer . Gonna rebunk the trailer tomorrow and then its time to flip the turtle :D.

Rick

well, i actually wished i had gone with solid green on mine, especially after doing a decarb on the motor... the transom is black from the crap in the cooling water that comes out a little hole on the backside of the lower unit. if it was green it wouldnt show so much. ive had to hit it with hull cleaner after every time ive taken it out.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Andy I will keep that in mind as I get to that point . I am planning to do the interior in the same pattern as the exterior so that would work with the plans.

Rick