1967 Starcraft Jet Rebuilding

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1967 Starcraft Jet Rebuilding

So while I wait and lose patience waiting for my spray gun to come in, I decided to test out the Mothers Mag out on a few items.

38CXYzQ.jpg

It did quite good without any buff before hand. Took 3 to 4 minutes.

2ZRUEkh.jpg

I think I'm good with that shine, I don't need to see myself clear in it.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Nice shine, that'll look good; also looking forward to seeing RED !

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guess what came in today ahead of shipping schedule. Perfect as I'll have time to put it together and spray on coat one of phase 1 of three.

QLJgVWx.jpg

I'll post photos of first coat this evening.

Have a good long weekend guys.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

So are you guys ready? Phase 1 of 3, coat 1 of 3 went on the hull today. She sure has been abused and I can't make the abuse disappear but so far she's looking good. Not like anyone will be staring at her very bottom.

Anyways here is the first coat;
ZPkthR9.jpg

fmiCQng.jpg

b9QWM4b.jpg

What do you guys think?

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Second coat went on after 6 hours, I think I've got good mix here... Second coat made it look that much nicer :)

I'm thinking should I put 3 or 4 coats? Or should I just do 2? I think 3 would be perfect.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Did you use the hardener? If Not a 6 hour re-coat is a pretty quick window. What did you use for reducer and how much? Red is very opaque so I'd prolly do 4 coats.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Did you use the hardener? If Not a 6 hour re-coat is a pretty quick window. What did you use for reducer and how much? Red is very opaque so I'd prolly do 4 coats.

Not very opaque OR very translucent = 4 coats..... Correct? :cold:

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

My intentions were to put 4 coats from start, she wasn't bare though either. Its looking real good with the 2 coats but I see the point in 4 coats though. :)

As for hardener, didn't use any. My first coat might of been just a tad of a coat, since it was dry to touch and sand without an issue. Manufacturer was suggesting second coat after 4-6 hours. Wouldn't be able to tell you since I know nothing about paint and its first time, results to me so far very very satisfied.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Looks very good so far & I'd highly recommend the hardener. I think it makes a lot of difference in the final toughness, also quicker recoats. With 4 coats you should have a nice tough outer shell, looking good too.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

I see, well if I must for a hardener, any suggestions on one at a local HD?

Or is it the usual disposable hardener to mix in a little. Been using acetone mixture so far, don't have in front of me but its acetone with LP or something similar for aluminum? Read it on this forum on it. Can I mix that with the hardener, wouldn't it defeat the purpose? Acetone thins the paint and also makes it dry faster.....

caswesm

Cadet

Hey if you we're closer to me I would have let you get some transom. I order through my boat dealer marine transom 4' x 8' at $200 + 75 for shipping and now I have tons left over. So if anyone needs any I live in battle creek mi

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey if you we're closer to me I would have let you get some transom. I order through my boat dealer marine transom 4' x 8' at $200 + 75 for shipping and now I have tons left over. So if anyone needs any I live in battle creek mi

No thanks mate, my transom is half in and done at this point, appreciate the offer.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

So plenty of updates, in the recent days I've had a chance to put 4 coats on each side with the hardener. She is looking beautiful, just the right color. Few mistakes but I'm okay with it, gives character right? Mistakes like pain run in one sport that you can barely see, but since I know about it, can't take my eyes of it. Tried sanding, but unless I sand to which ever coat, she don't want to disappear. So lesson learned, either a bad mix or too much paint. Wasn't runny after 10 minutes, came back next day, they there were, running lines down.

In any case, I'll take pictures and post them soon.

Also the side rail will need work. Taping, well even the best would get these I think. No way was the paint going through but it did. So that will need some work as final touches.

I've also spent the time the last two days, putting on Gluvit. Actually its little bit different stuff but with very good comparative reviews. I'll take pic and post the name soon too. Smells like the JB weld stuff, really it does. Even looks like it after mix.

Anyways with all that done, she's going on the trailer to do the paint roll and start working on the back, interior and engine mount.

I'll post photos soon, its crappy down here weather wise. Sorry guys. Just thought a quick update on progress would help keep thread in motion.

Anyone know the size and length of the 2 or 3 big bolts on the transom, left and right? I think I've got two, might put 1 or 2 extra per side. More strength.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Closed to open bow conversion is a tough go for sure. To make it solid, and functional, and look good is the crux. Any two out of those three items is pretty easy, but to put together all three, that is the real challenge.

All the best!:)

Hey Jas, I know you are busy on your Islander.. and sorry for the bother however I'm about to bolt my transom and thought since you replaced your bolts on the transom in the Jet Star, did you have a source for getting the bolts with flat under the head or did you get something like this and tightened it into the aluminum with 5200?

I'm looking at these, just don't like the squarish since it didn't really go well with the hull when I tried. Thought maybe you had a different source for bolts; Carriage bolts, Stainless steel 18-8 - Bolt Depot

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'd probably use a hex head bolt:
hex-bolt-diameter.gif

Or if you want full length threads, a tap bolt:
hex-bolt-full-thread-length.gif

Tractor Supply & Ace have a good selection, but that place has way more options, and seem more then reasonable.