1967 Starcraft Jet Rebuilding

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1967 Starcraft Jet Rebuilding

also sitting here tonight trying to figure out what to do with the 12 gallon fuel tank I've picked up last year for free... I was hoping to convert it or at least install a sending unit to it for the fuel gauge but cant find one that would fit. Connections for the fuel line look good on it, so that would go from the front to the back and then a nice top filler to it with a vent is the plan here guys.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've started to work on the boat today. First things first, since I don't want to scratch my newly painted boat later moving it onto the trailer and off it, painting the trailer will be first thing. Here's some photos from the disassembly today.

jBgdQmr.jpg

dGkbT9b.jpg

htJrKQE.jpg

L4bKftO.jpg

1njFIJB.jpg

All bolts and fastners will be replaced with brand new 8.8 SS bolts and all other SS bolts since current ones well were painted, rusty and a paint to take off. Had to use my impact gun to take them off.

I'm also going to break off the silly welded on rollers and keep the form to put a 2x4 in there, fasten it, and carpet the top of it so the boat slides just right in.

CD2C1qE.jpg

I've also at the end removed the lights and separated everything into parts for easier painting. Marked everything together for easy assembly after paint and ready to go. Wheels will also get a fresh coat, front and back. Will do minimum sanding on the rusty bubbly areas and cover it with some primer.

We'll see how it goes.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alright so today was some spray painting trailer parts. Done a few and got 24 hour drying period now. Used a glossy black for color since the boat will be either black / red or just all red bottom side. Not sure yet. Also picked up a bunch of new stainless steel bolts to replace majority of the bolts holding the trailer sections together. Here's some photos from today;

RueAzKP.jpg

waxJKBE.jpg

p3bVFVw.jpg

yx0ydF8.jpg

Tomorrow afternoon, next side and the trailers body will get painted. Looks good so far, don't think I'll be putting another coat on this. It's my first time spraying, so might not look professional at all, looks good to me though.

Last edited:

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Trailer is all finished up. I've gone with two coats today to get in extra gloss since even after sanding and grinding, I was getting rough spots thanks to the rust and bad paint job, I didn't want to extend the amount of work shaving off and stripping all the paint from the trailer. It's an old, 70's trailer and I'm worried that doing so would make it very think on metal and structure reinforcement.

With that said, I'm done. Going to put it back together this evening hopefully and take a few shows of it. I'm sure my love has something in plans for the family this evening since all kids are home, so if not, just more photos of it being apart but painted.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend, splashing or not. Enjoy!

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ahh one more thing, been fiddling with the motor today also, cleaning and giving it an extra touch. I've found the metal plate with info on inside stating its a 33EL 69. :)

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I ran into little trouble today in both departments, boat and trailer.

Filled the boat;
VwjfUB2.jpg

The water test since I put in about 10 bolts in place of rivets. However, my bolts don't leak but new old rivets do, not much, just drops but I guess back to drilling and sealing with SS bolts.

Trailer also had an issue, minor adjustments;
EpyDwoG.jpg

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Btw, the bunks are just temporary right now for the time being since I wanted to continue on the boat while everything else was drying and I needed to check for leaks!

On another note, anyone know a good price on topside type pain that is fire red?? Thanks!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Gun Spray with hardener added will be much more durable.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did part one of building up the transom, got the wood all nicely measured and cut, fits snuggly in. Just got to put some heavy duty water resistant glue and seal it. Then next part.

I feel like a snail with this, between kids and work, wife working, not that much time left now a days. Can't wait for school to start. I get an extra 2 hours a day without kids around.

LDOqCEa.jpg

Note: there's two pieces, just took a photo of one.

I'm thinking of making the backing or motor mounting plate later too but not sure wood would be a good strength, seen couple guys here us 6061 aluminum quarter thick. What size would I need, I sure know who could answer that one too. He's the one that got me going in this mess LOL :)

Anyone?

Last edited:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I made mine from 1/8" aluminum; not needed for strength, but I wanted to protect the paint during mounting. Also thought it looked kind of cool & retro.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, yeah I was thinking wood but it wouldn't look as pretty as shiny aluminum would.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Few updates on the progress this weekend, I've cut the transom 3/4 pieces, cut the curves and angles needed which I see posted above.

Glued two pot those pieces together, epoxied, and dry finish here.

ZM6uqxJ.jpg

Also got the dashboard work done. Wanted a little different design in it. First cut out of the 3/4 left over went well but not as planned. Forgot about the curve at the top. Scrap!

Cut another one with all in place and its ready for sanding and resin. The resin I've got its not glossy, I like glossy. Going to pick some up today at the local provider and get going on putting that on there. Here's a nice shot of it.

NK7hvsE.jpg

I've got some ideas that I'm finishing up for the dashboard features, will share that with you guys today, maybe get some feedback.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

On the transom plate, my original one (factory) was 1/4" plywood. Just thought the aluminum would be more durable and longer lasting.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

So while I am waiting for the spar to dry on the dashboard, I've decided to do some other parts in the spare time.

Installed the transom since my 4 coats finally dried. Not bolted but it sits nice and firm. Had to use a rubber mallet to give it a sack once or twice. Not bad for a first timer.

hMJAqkW.jpg

KpSGj4h.jpg

Then I went and installed the rib, little ahead of schedule since I still need to run gluvit all around. Took a little to figure out which end goes in the back, but the thinner ended up in the rear. Do object if Im incorrect before lay down the floor. Looks good so far.

EJR3NN1.jpg

hMJAqkW.jpg

Then I decided to do some accessory buffing and well, it was a try. I've never buffed anything so anyone want to input, is this the best I can get? I know I've got some deep dongs and scratches.
wQ9qGkC.jpg

Next up is Gluvit for sure, waited this long .... Its time.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Look at the way the ribs curve across the beam (left & right) of the boat. Up near the bow, they curve up quite a bit, back toward the transom they flatten out across the middle & only curve up a little at the ends.

The STRINGER matches that profile: shorter (narrow) towards the transom, taller towards the bow. Ya got the stringer in correctly.

If you look very closely at the transom knee brace, and across the transom below your plywood, the height of your stringer matches where the factory white paint stops. 2nd confirmation you've got the stringer oriented correctly.

Deck high at the bow isn't a bad idea anyway, directing any splash/drip surface water back to the bilge & drain plug...

Nice looking transom ply.

I'd fill all the edge voids in the plywood you can find. If it's not too much of a struggle, it'd be worth pulling the transom back out. A struggle, perhaps not. Looks like there's a couple voids @ the topside edge on lower portion of the transom to starboard (right)of the knee brace.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look at the way the ribs curve across the beam (left & right) of the boat. Up near the bow, they curve up quite a bit, back toward the transom they flatten out across the middle & only curve up a little at the ends.

The STRINGER matches that profile: shorter (narrow) towards the transom, taller towards the bow. Ya got the stringer in correctly.

If you look very closely at the transom knee brace, and across the transom below your plywood, the height of your stringer matches where the factory white paint stops. 2nd confirmation you've got the stringer oriented correctly.

Deck high at the bow isn't a bad idea anyway, directing any splash/drip surface water back to the bilge & drain plug...

Nice looking transom ply.

I'd fill all the edge voids in the plywood you can find. If it's not too much of a struggle, it'd be worth pulling the transom back out. A struggle, perhaps not. Looks like there's a couple voids @ the topside edge on lower portion of the transom to starboard (right)of the knee brace.

I'll be going over those with some extra glue to keep the water out, thanks for the heads up.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just as a note to myself, try Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. Recommended by a friend to get a nice mirror shine. I'll test this week on few items.