1967 Starcraft Jet Rebuilding

lakelover

Rear Admiral
Re: 1967 Starcraft Jet Rebuilding

Agree with jb, fill in every crack & void you can find, it'll be worth it in the long run. Everything is looking great, I know at this stage it feels good that you're making progress that makes it look more and more like the end is in sight, at least. I have a few dings and small gouges in my bow cap, rub rail metal & transom corners still. I decided to just leave them there for that historical look. They're a little less noticeable if you don't go with the mirror-finish shine, but the soft buffed look instead. I didn't want it too perfect cuz that way I knew I'd panic less when I added my own nicks & dings! :)

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm just going to fill the voids in on the wood transom. I was thinking of filling the spacing on the sides because of the rivets popping out there, gives about few gaps of 1/4 or less, but the owner before me done that with 5200 and cleaning that was a work out. So in case I have to take the transom out I don't need all that work and breaking the transom into pieces.

The transom at this point isn't coming out and the voids on the high corners I've made them since the transom is on an angle a little, my transom wood had to be chiseled for me to be able to bring those aluminum tabs down. Did resealed it again after that, dropped few drops into the voids. However I'm guessing I should put some glue in there too so no water sits inside.

Paint job on the hull is happening Thursday. So far I've got it planned. So we're going black, fire red, white. What do you guys think?

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's a thought I've been drawing on my board in regards to where placing the 12 gallon fuel tank... and Here's what I'm thinking; cut the stringer at the front, just enough to fit the gas tank in the middle and since I don't feel like getting another tank or converting this one with a level sensor, position it enough to be able to see the gauge on it. Than put the floor over it with the ability to take it our, etc.. little work but might work. What do you guys think?

Of course in the picture I added extra support for the floor on the outside of the fuel tank with padded foam and such.

mcijgaE.jpg

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Lakeover, just love what you did to permanent vacation, did you really spend $300 or so on the BRP controls?

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

So after further consideration and measuring, the gas tank at the front might not fit so well.

Option #1 = Might have to just run the floor and place it on it at the front. Maybe make the filler at the bow some where for an easy fill and secure the gas tank with clips and straps. That way, a fast glance under to check the gauge. That's if one could run pout of gas on a 35hp motor on one run.

Option #2 = Another option is to cit the stringer down to the rib, have it still secured and attached with rivets as it is now. This way, it makes a great seat for the gas tank. Run the bow floor with a middle cut out for the tank. That way both the floor and the stringer will hold it in place. To replace, check, repair, just lift and remove on the gas tank. No matter which way I'd have to install a filler.

Option #3 is to use the old 6 gallon aluminum tank in the back. That would mean having it sit in under the seats in storage area I'm thinking of constructing. Battery would have to be moved to the front than. Selling the 12 gallon tank would also give extra $$$ for other things.

Any suggestions? If I want it easy, I'll take option 3 with extra $$$ in pocket. If I want to make things little more interesting option #1 and #2 will do the trick. I wanted the tank at the front only to leverage the weight of the motor and battery at the back and 3 people sitting in the back. That's about 100lbs extra at the front from the gas tank filled. Hmmm... Something to think about.

jbcurt00

Staff member

I'd take some time & decide how you'd really like it to lay out. All 3 options have pros & cons, you've got them pretty well addressed both ways for each.

Battery wiring to the bow or under the passenger seat is also expensive.......

Watch evil-bay for below deck tanks on sale. I grabbed a new bow mount tank delivered for less then $75. Retail is $190+:
032819_4.jpg

Best of luck deciding..........

lakelover

Rear Admiral

With the Jet and people sitting in the back, I'll almost guarantee you'll want the gas tank in the front. With my Jet Star, I have a 6 gallon metal tank in the stern. Because of the different seat placement from the Jet, the rear passengers face rear and are more midship in the boat. It will get up on a pretty good plane with 4 people on board with the 50, but it takes a while to work up to a good plane, although it will. In order to get it to plane out more quickly, I'm seriously thinking of getting a longer fuel line and placing the tank up front under the bow to get more weight up front for quicker planing. With just two sitting in the front, it performs quite well and will pretty much jump up on plane.

With your Jet, if you have pasengers in the stern seats, I wonder if you might have some trouble getting up on a good plane if you have all your fuel & battery weight in the back.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Lakeover, just love what you did to permanent vacation, did you really spend $300 or so on the BRP controls?

Thx, that's one thing I splurged on, but I shopped around on line and found them for $214. I figured I'd only be doing it once....

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree with jb, fill in every crack & void you can find, it'll be worth it in the long run. Everything is looking great, I know at this stage it feels good that you're making progress that makes it look more and more like the end is in sight, at least. I have a few dings and small gouges in my bow cap, rub rail metal & transom corners still. I decided to just leave them there for that historical look. They're a little less noticeable if you don't go with the mirror-finish shine, but the soft buffed look instead. I didn't want it too perfect cuz that way I knew I'd panic less when I added my own nicks & dings! :)

With the Jet and people sitting in the back, I'll almost guarantee you'll want the gas tank in the front. With my Jet Star, I have a 6 gallon metal tank in the stern. Because of the different seat placement from the Jet, the rear passengers face rear and are more midship in the boat. It will get up on a pretty good plane with 4 people on board with the 50, but it takes a while to work up to a good plane, although it will. In order to get it to plane out more quickly, I'm seriously thinking of getting a longer fuel line and placing the tank up front under the bow to get more weight up front for quicker planing. With just two sitting in the front, it performs quite well and will pretty much jump up on plane.

With your Jet, if you have pasengers in the stern seats, I wonder if you might have some trouble getting up on a good plane if you have all your fuel & battery weight in the back.

Yeah, which is why I'm seriously considering it, just got to fit it some how in there that looks nice, accessible and not in the way.

Its the long version of the 12 gallon tank, so not the easiest way. If I had room I'd put battery at front too. Battery and fuel next to each other, hmmm.... Not that safe.

Now my seating idea was to put 3 seats at the very back, facing front. So, yes going to need a little at the front. My motor is also a 30 or 35... I'm sure it weights little less to then your 50 so that's a plus, however I'm thinking that one day a 50 might find its way to my house. :)

Would you go with a full floor down to the bow and place the tank on top or place it as low as possible and run the floor around it, cut the stringer?

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

BTW, before the restoration, I've had a problem with plane. I'm guessing it was the motor, gas, battery, my 3 kids in the back. LOL, kids back then were only 35 pounds and 20 pounds each. Today, little older, little heavier :)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

Would you go with a full floor down to the bow and place the tank on top or place it as low as possible and run the floor around it, cut the stringer?
Whatever tank I put in the front, I don't think I'd worry about how high it was, so I'd probably go the easy route and just make it fit on top of the floor as easy as possible; provided it fits, I'm not too familiar with the 12 gal. tanks like you have.

Sounds like you were a little stern-heavy before! & the kids will only get bigger! BTW, the 50 weighs about 200 lbs.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

First is first, got to Paint the hull and gluvit internally all the rivets and bolts, etc.. then she goes back on her feet and we move into the rest of the stuff.

I think however, I've made up my mind to run the floor straight to the tip and place the tank on the floor, strap it. That way its easier for removal. Still will be able to see the gauge, if I had some $$ sitting around I'd get a blow deck tank and do it that way, just a waste of a good free tank here so I want to use it if I can.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thx, that's one thing I splurged on, but I shopped around on line and found them for $214. I figured I'd only be doing it once....

What you get for the old motor and what you pay for the new one? geez, I've been looking around for a nice 50 to put on this since it's the max for a year and a half, something at a good price that might need little work, but not much.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I probably paid too much for the motor - it came without controls or cables, and I sunk a lot of money into it getting it back into shape, like an OMS pump and a stator, water pump etc. Check out: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/1964-15-starcraft-aluminum-runabout-project-309879-42.html#post3502708

I wouldn't buy one again without controls unless I already had some.

I bought it from a boat rental outfit that did very minimal maintenance. Live and learn!

I got $300 for the motor that came on the boat.

Last edited:

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

I probably paid too much for the motor - it came without controls or cables, and I sunk a lot of money into it getting it back into shape, like an OMS pump and a stator, water pump etc. Check out: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-restoration-building-hull-repair/1964-15-starcraft-aluminum-runabout-project-309879-42.html#post3502708

I wouldn't buy one again without controls unless I already had some.

I bought it from a boat rental outfit that did very minimal maintenance. Live and learn!

I got $300 for the motor that came on the boat.

Ouch! $2600 for all that stuff... I felt your pain in that post. Hope it did work out being reliable.

I guess I will wait a little see how the current 35 runs .... 50 would be nice, maybe next year... Wait, year is almost over, I mean, next year :)

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Had some time today to put some etching primer and another primer layer on her. Didn't bother putting to much since she wasn't bare to the bone. Photos might be little dark, best I could do with the nexus 7 and no flash.

34ZllPa.jpg

lGMj550.jpg

She's ready for some sanding, then the fire red coming her way. Got a few places to tape up also but since my paint job is a 3 step process, I'm not worried, she gonna have her bottom hot red first.

Like how that sounded... LOL. Must be the fumes.

catbones

Petty Officer 1st Class

Going to also use one of these, very very nice flow and at a right price too.. Nice and smooth flow.

6psE7jA.jpg

Can't wait to see her in the red dress.

iamsaws

Petty Officer 3rd Class

how many PSI does the gun run at?

jbcurt00

Staff member

Good luck!

Also looking forward to the red :cool: