1963 Elgin Restoration

larcher

Seaman
Re: 1963 Elgin Restoration

Transom is all srewed down. I brought it into the kitchen to keep everything warm. Not sure if that helps the glue to cure properly, but it can't hurt.

IMG_2308_zps0924e894.jpg

IMG_2309_zpsf5282b06.jpg

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Looks like your headed in the right direction and coming along nicely ! Just a thought . You think maybe you can trim or sand down the ends of your new transom to allow for cap replacement . Temp install and test fit the cap ..

larcher

Seaman

Looks like your headed in the right direction and coming along nicely ! Just a thought . You think maybe you can trim or sand down the ends of your new transom to allow for cap replacement . Temp install and test fit the cap ..

I will definintely be testing as I go - for sure! The cap will probably be on and off a number of times. It may work out fine, or it may be a little tricky. We shall see!

m casey stock

Chief Petty Officer

Haha, I bet the Wifey came home and said "whats that funny smell in the kitchen?" I've done the same thing and that's the response I got LOL :laugh:

larcher

Seaman

Haha, I bet the Wifey came home and said "whats that funny smell in the kitchen?" I've done the same thing and that's the response I got LOL :laugh:

The complaints about the smell happen when grinding mostly!! :wink-new:
Just logged another 2 hours doing that -- it looks like it snowed in my garage!!

larcher

Seaman

Lots of grinding. Too dusty for pix - will post some tomorrow night.
Hope everyone's well!

larcher

Seaman

Hey - everyone still out there? Sorry I fell off the earth for a while. Life n' all -- you know!
Getting back in the saddle this week. I've progressed a little bit since the last posting - stay tuned for for updated pix!

Marlin Cone

Recruit

Wow - I just found this forum yesterday and have spent hours reading through past and current projects. What a gold mine of information!!! And I have many questions of course.

I've just started a restoration of a 1963 Elgin runabout - 14' 9". I know, I know - an Elgin... from Sears... the most generic of boats! Hey, it looked like it needed someone to love it, and the PO sold it for $25!! These photos are how i found it before I dragged it home.

View attachment 178240 View attachment 178241 View attachment 178242 View attachment 178243

Here's what I want to do:
- Replace the floor and transom
- Reinforce the hull (will need some ideas on this)
- New updated seating
- Change the color of the topside and add wood accents (I've built wooden boats from scratch)
- Replace most of the hardware - the stuff I can't restore
- A whole bunch of other stuff I'm sure

I'll start the questions next post!! And post some of the photos I've already taken of the dismantling.

Thanks
Lee

Guys, I'd like to check-in with you after reading thru this thread---by far the most pertinent post I've seen thus far on Elgin runabouts. I purchased a 1961 Elgin runabout and here are the issues I need to get fixed in the restoration project:
  • Replace the windshield
  • Replace the steering wheel
  • Find a control console
  • Replace the seats
  • Replace the chrome

Can anyone give me some advice on where I can either find used replacement parts, rebuilt replacement parts or new manufactured parts to complete this work please? The hull has been repaired & painted and the seats have been rebuilt and reupholstered. I'd like to get the rest of the rehab work done over the winter months, so your comments will be much appreciated and helpful.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Start a thread about YOUR project Marlin, and we'll answer as many of your questions as possible, there. Be sure to post up some pix of your work when you do, boat nerds like pix :watermelon:

BTW: The big red banner across the bottom of this thread should have indicated that it's an inactive thread (no activity by the original poster (OP) in the past 90days). Treat inactive threads as library books: for research & shouldn't be written in.

If you had specific questions about Larcher's boat or anything he's done to his, since it's an inactive thread, send him a private message (PM) by left clicking his user name & choosing private message from the drop down menu. Hopefully the PM will reach him, and he'll respond.

Honoring the inactive thread status is one of the rules we all agreed to when we joined, #12 I think....

If you have questions about YOUR project (seems you do) start a thread and post any & all questions about your project as you'd like answered....

Welcome to iboats.