92 johnson VRO fuel/oil injection problem

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 92 johnson VRO fuel/oil injection problem

There is no reason to believe that the fuel pump is or was your problem.

There is good reason to believe that your carburetors need overhauling.

rjrobin2002

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Check pump output by removing the fuel line from the carb feed and cranking into a container. Muffs on for this and remove plug wires or pull the lanyard.

Strong continuous spurts = pump functioning O.K.
Strong spurts to begin with and tapering off = air leak or malfunctioning pump.
Dribbles to nothing = massive air leak or pump is no good.

Your first post says spark and compression are good and your last one mentions your thumb over the spark plug hole as a compression test.
How was the original spark and compression test performed ???

I have not perfomed a compression test with a gauge, but the motor was running fine when parked and I can feel that the motor has good compression by turning the motor by hand, the air force pushed out by the spark plug hole, and how strong it sounds when it is revving up and running at high RPM. I know that is some Red Neck testing but I have been doing this for years. I do have a gauge I will hook up though. I have put the plugs against the block and watched them spark. That is the only way I have ever checked spark.

I am fixing to remove the fuel line and let it pump into a container to see how the stream looks.

Put new plugs in it.

I am also ordering a carb rebuild kit, I just cleaned and put back together the carbs last month, but did not place anything.

This boat was free and I wanted to make sure it was worth putting money into before I started ordering to many parts. I am at $50 so far with the pump.

rjrobin2002

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is no reason to believe that the fuel pump is or was your problem.

There is good reason to believe that your carburetors need overhauling.

I agree now that it is looking like a idle jet problem in the carb. A complete reuild is on th way. I was not getting fuel to the carb with the VRO and it would not run at all. I put the new pump on and it runs now, but only when revving the engine up or at high RPM's. Carbs and plugs are on the way.

SparkieBoat

Captain

cleaning/rebuilding carbs is SOP for motors that have sat up

rjrobin2002

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does the rebuild kit include a new main jet?

rjrobin2002

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does it include parts for 2 carbs?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

No orifices are included in the carburetor kit. The kits do include a float valve and seat assembly.

SparkieBoat

Captain

you are right Ezek..I thought that brass fitting in the picture was the jet, but when I look closer it looks like the bowl plug. You should be able to soak and clean any jets/orifices.