1963 Elgin Restoration

larcher

Seaman
Re: 1963 Elgin Restoration

IMHO: PB'd to the hull, the longitudinal stringers look like they'll be plenty enough after the deck ties them, the bulkheads & hull sides all together....

Appreciate the feedback. Might be overkill (or over-building), but I think I have to tie those fore ends together with something.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You can put it back together the way it was and it'll be fine, or you can add more. Mass production boat builders are only going to put in as much as they have to, and nothing more. You can double the number of ribs (latterals) if you want and it'll only make the boat stronger.

If we were talking about bigger wood or a smaller boat, weight might be an issue... but those little ribs won't weigh as much as a six pack of cokes.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm always and advocate of putting her back as close as possible to the the way you found her. On the hole I'd make a patch( wax paper an lay 4 layers of csm cut to be 2" larger than the hole and wet em out). Once dry, apply some PB to the back side edges and then drill a hole in the middle of the patch and thread some string into it. Bend the patch and place inside the hole and use the string to pull it up tight. use a pice of 2x4 to tie it off for 30mins. Remove the string and then PB the void till its level then lay a couple layers of csm on the front side and be done with it

InsideOutPatch.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member

Appreciate the feedback. Might be overkill (or over-building), but I think I have to tie those fore ends together with something.

You're going too: with the DECK :)

larcher

Seaman

Wood - I like it! I've patched sheetrock that way. Surprised it didn't occur to me! Thx.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just found this one. Cool boat! Any more plans for a motor yet?

I also boat on the Upper Chesapeake from time to time. If you're on Facebook, do a search for "Upper Chesapeake Recreational Boaters". It's a very active group. In fact we just had a get together in North East, MD on Sunday.

larcher

Seaman

Just found this one. Cool boat! Any more plans for a motor yet?

I also boat on the Upper Chesapeake from time to time. If you're on Facebook, do a search for "Upper Chesapeake Recreational Boaters". It's a very active group. In fact we just had a get together in North East, MD on Sunday.

Thaks EZ -

Funny you should ask about the motor. I've been talking to the seller of this one - sounds like it just needs a new impeller. Includes the cables and controls.
1996 Mercury 40hp
Feedback and opinions appeciated.
And - does that seem like sufficient power for a 14'9" glasser? The wieght is 535 lbs.

I used to belong to the North East Yacht Club, but they were a little snobby. A nice boating meet-up group would definitely be preferable. I live about 20 min north in Oxford, PA. I'll check out the group!!!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I have a 15 ft with a 40 hp and wish I Had a 60 or 70. If you want to pull tubers or skiers then I'd go bigger. Fishin...It's fine.

larcher

Seaman

I have a 15 ft with a 40 hp and wish I Had a 60 or 70. If you want to pull tubers or skiers then I'd go bigger. Fishin...It's fine.

Your Flamingo does plane though with the 40, yes? Do you know top speed?

I'm not sure I'd pull a tube with this - mostly just tooling around to bay-front bars!!!

You don't think there would be any issues with weight with a 60 or 70? (weight of the engine that is)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Mine is rated for a 70. I think a 60 would be perfect for you. Yeah it planes with no problem. I weigh 300 My son 240 and we had no problems getting her up on plane with both of us in her. 1962 Evinrude.

larcher

Seaman

Wood - I can't remember from your Flamingo thread... did you raise your transom height to accomodate a 20" shaft motor?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nope, she was all original an designed for the Long Shaft Motor.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thaks EZ -

Funny you should ask about the motor. I've been talking to the seller of this one - sounds like it just needs a new impeller. Includes the cables and controls.
1996 Mercury 40hp
Feedback and opinions appeciated.
And - does that seem like sufficient power for a 14'9" glasser? The wieght is 535 lbs.

I used to belong to the North East Yacht Club, but they were a little snobby. A nice boating meet-up group would definitely be preferable. I live about 20 min north in Oxford, PA. I'll check out the group!!!

That motor is a nice deal and would certainly be a reliable one for you and probably meet your needs. That being said, I'd prefer a 3 cyl 60-70.

UCRB is FAR from snobby!!! We've got all kinds of people and boats in the group.

larcher

Seaman

That motor is a nice deal and would certainly be a reliable one for you and probably meet your needs. That being said, I'd prefer a 3 cyl 60-70.

UCRB is FAR from snobby!!! We've got all kinds of people and boats in the group.

Okay - you're right. I shouldn't throw the whole club under the bus. My bad - I should know better. I had a negative experience but it was isolated to only a couple of folks, so I shouldn't be drawing conclusions from that. Sorry. :(

On the motor, my biggest issue seems to be locating short shaft versions. Few and far between, or expensive. I still have time to raise the transom -- just having some issues making up my mind since it won't be easy on this particular design.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Okay - you're right. I shouldn't throw the whole club under the bus. My bad - I should know better. I had a negative experience but it was isolated to only a couple of folks, so I shouldn't be drawing conclusions from that. Sorry. :(

No no no, UCRB (Upper Chesapeake Recreational Boaters) is our "club"! You may very well be right that the North East Yacht club is snobby!

Can't help you much with the shaft length issue. Once you get up into the 65+ horsepowers they are almost all the same shaft length so I haven't had to deal with that much.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Actually.... IMHO you could do it quite easily. Something like this. Just cut a notch out in the splash well and re glass it after install.
YourTransom-2.jpg

larcher

Seaman

Actually.... IMHO you could do it quite easily. Something like this. Just cut a notch out in the splash well and re glass it after install.
YourTransom-2.jpg

Hm.. I'll have to do some drawings. The cap is designed really weird where it meets the tansom but I have a couople of ideas. Thanks Wood.

larcher

Seaman

The latest...

Have been spending most of my boat time making parts lately. I still need to do more sanding/grinding, but frankly I'm procrastinating 'cuz... well, it's just not that much fun! I'm a bachelor tonight though (the admiral and son are away) so I guess I should suck it up and finish.

Floor framing - view from the stern.

IMG_3170_zps1be1cfa1.jpg

Same - from the bow - with a view of my styrofoam transom template.

IMG_3171_zps944d4287.jpg

Old parts alongside new parts.

IMG_3180_zps103f773d.jpg

These are criss-cross pieces -- both are notched. A pretty decent fit if I do say so myself... it's almost like I know what I'm doing -- which I don't!!

IMG_3174_zps2c556141.jpg

Another old vs. new shot. Nothing's attached yet btw -- just placed where it will be attached soon.

IMG_3183_zps2ecd19a2.jpg

larcher

Seaman

On to the transom...

So, I've been really indecisive about raising the transom height, because of the odd way in the the cap is designed in that area. (see prior posts) But today I think I figured out how to make it work. Plus, after hours of searching for short shaft motors on the web, and talking to motor dealers last week at the Atlantic City NJ boat show, I'm pretty convinced that I need to bite the bullet and make a 19.5" transom height work.

So here are some pix of my progress...

Stryfoam templates in place. You can see where i'm going to have to build up the glass to fill in the gap. Remember - in my case, the cap does not cover this part of the transom. Haven't decided yet how to deal with protecting the top of the wood. I can glass over the top, but there are some issues that might prevent the cap from fittting afterwards. I could do some sort of aluminun or stanless fabricated top. Not sure yet.

IMG_3169_zpscaa04aff.jpg

The tiny bit of tumblehome adds some difficulty. They probably did that just to make the cap easier to install I think.

IMG_3165_zpsf8a80521.jpg

Foam template - transferred to wood. Ready to glue up.

IMG_3185_zps9245dbb5.jpg

Lot's o' holes - ready for screws.

IMG_3186_zpsdc0fe8c3.jpg

Ooooey gooey...

IMG_2305_zps9e6f89e9.jpg

Lots 'o screws. And just to be clear, those screws as pictured are just placed into pre-drilled holes, ready to be driven in straight. Didn't want you all thinking I drove them in at all those wacky angles!!

IMG_2306_zpsa7d82029.jpg