1961 Lonestar Flamingo - SPLASHED w/Pics

jetskier16

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1962 Lonestar "Flamingo" - I finally Started w/pics

I hadn't even thought there was a way to paint the hull with out hanging it., this may encourage me to do the same! Have you tried your hand at using the sewing machine with the vinyl yet?

chrisroberts916

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nice wheels.
Carts are real nice if your doing alot of work, but if your just wanting to paint it 3 jackstands works well. Working in tandom with a floor jack, bigger is better on the jackstands so you can get it higher to work. I put her back on the trailer to lower it to paint the top.
08-28-10_1446.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nice Chris! But......
I have a LOT of gouges and scratches on the hull and a BAD patch job on the keel that I want to re-work so I am going to flip her and really give the hull a good going over. the Cart will make it easy to do that. The sides are in pretty good shape so I will get them sanded and prepped pretty much prior to the flip so all that will be left is the bottom surface. Looks like you worked out your issues just fine. What Paint and Primer did you use. Your Paint job is VERY NICE!!!! Here's a Pic of my Modernized version of Lone Star Flamingo Decal

attachment.php

I'm just sayin...:D

Attachments

• FlamingoLogo_small.jpg
    FlamingoLogo_small.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 3

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wood,

Looking great... I have left the forum site for awhile.. Steering wheel looks great ! I have been paying attention to what people are saying on your thread about steering cable. I think I better double check my connections so there is no problems.. :eek:

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I've been amiss not following along here, lots of great tips & info. I love those old glass runabouts. Yup, had the cable steering fail on a '65 Glastron once when I was a kid, luckily it was underpowered and very stable and I remember grabbing the motor by both sides of the cowl, no tiller, to putt-putt back home. That's one reason I decided to go with Teleflex on mine. But it sounds like you've got the bases covered.

Looking good, and it seems you've made a science of the polishing!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well we postponed the flip till next weekend so I sanded the inside and washed her all down with acetone, filled in some gouges with some 3M filler and gave her two coats of Rustoleum Professional Oil Based Gloss white. I think she looks pretty good.

attachment.php

I plan on a Light Blue "Zolatone" Splatter job tomorrow evening "Under the lights" since daylight savings time hit and it will be "Dark Thirty" when I get home from work. The wife says I can have the garage for a Month this winter for my sanding and glass work on the hull so she will be ready for priming and Painting in the spring. I might be able to rig up my New Shed Extension and do it out there. We'll have to see how that works out with my Kerosene "SUN" heater.

Attachments

• PaintedDeck.jpg
    PaintedDeck.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

tallcanadian

Captain

Nice work, Wood. It's amazing how clean it looks with fresh paint. Great progress so far.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks great! Hopefully you will have her ready for our meet up next year!

mthuirer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I like it.. Looks good. I guess its time for me to watch your progress. I have ran out of funds for a little while. Im hoping to get started up on my project after the holidays are over.. So mean while keep posting so we can watch..

:D

tgp***

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Windshield is in very good shape. A little polishing and I think she'll be good to go. I did a spot on her already with a Headlight polish kit and it turned out great.

I always wondered how that would work, I see them advertized at harbor freight tools. Nicely done!

60Clipper

Seaman

Wood,
Looking good so far. Can't wait to see her done.

Bob

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well my persuasive powers were good, and I was able to persuade two of my Young Strong Nepews to flip my boat. To my surprise she is a LOT lighter than I suspected. I would guess-ti-mate her to be around 400 lbs. For a 15 footer I think that is LIGHT. My 40 hp Rude' should push her around pretty good next summer. Here's what she looks like sitting on the cart.

attachment.php

Now that I have had a day to inspect the bottom of the hull more closely I am not TOO disappointed but there are a LOT of scatches and gouges to take care of and some Glassing to do as well. The Keel really needs some work as well as the hull at the stern. Here's some pics to show you what I mean. Gunna have fun this winter sanding an prepping for glassing. I MIGHT be able to put her in my BIL's heated shop and do some of the glassing over the winter. I also have a lot to do on the trailer. I'll post some pics of her tomorrow. I have also been learning to sew!!! I'll post some pics of the Seats I am going to recover and all of that tomorrow as well.
Heres the Pics of the bottom of the Hull...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I'll have more tomorrow. Thanks for Looking!!!

Attachments

• Photo0134.jpg
    Photo0134.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo0139.jpg
    Photo0139.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo0140.jpg
    Photo0140.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo0141.jpg
    Photo0141.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Photo0138.jpg
    Photo0138.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 6

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

glad to see you are moving forward.....lots of grinding and glassing ahead, let us know if we can help!

jetskier16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks good, can't wait to see some of that upholstery work!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

As promised here's some pics of the trailer. It is a GATOR trailer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

A little Uniqe in that it has LIFTING Bunks!! Once the boat is loaded you pull a lever to lift the bunks which lifts the boat off the rollers and allows the bunks to take the weight instead of the rollers.

attachment.php

I really like it and the best thing it is all there and it all works. Just need to sand blast her and fit her with all new rollers. Looks like I will need to do some welding on one of the rollers where the holes have wobbled out but that is not a biggie.

I am going to experiment with cutting down the bunks and putting 3" Flat tops on them to provide more support.

attachment.php

There are several other iBoaters that have these trailers and they all love them. I'm sure I will too!!
Thanks for lookin!!

Attachments

• Photo0148.jpg
    Photo0148.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Photo0149.jpg
    Photo0149.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Photo0150.jpg
    Photo0150.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Photo0151.jpg
    Photo0151.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 5

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Well I bought an Old Kenmore sewing machine and my Sis has been "Learnin" me how to sew. She is quite the "Seamstress" and has got me to where I can at least sew a straight seam. I bought some Marine Grade Vinyl from these guys www.fabricdirect.com and was quite pleased with the quality and the price $8.95 a yard. I bought Sky Blue and White. I also bought a Piping foot for the machine from Ebay for $14.00. So I'm almost ready to go. I bought some old Ranger Bass boat Captain Chairs to practice on and plan on making some portable platforms to use in my boat when I want to convert her to a "Fishing Machine"

Any whoooo here's some pics of the seats before and after I ripped off the covers. The Dark Green will become Sky Blue.

attachment.php

Man Lots of staples. Best thing I found to remove em was an old steak knife and a pair of pliers. Took about an hour per seat to get em stripped.

attachment.php

I plan on trying to make some videos of the Sewing process when that starts. Hopefully in the next week or so.

UPDATE!!!! My BIL reported on Turkey Day that he would have my 40HP Evinrude Motor completed and running in tip top shape for my Christmas Present. :p:p I can now start to get all the covers and shrouds prepped for paint. Man nothing was happening for such a long time and now it seems to be moving so fast!!! But I AIN'T complaining.

Thanks for lookin.

Attachments

• Photo0146.jpg
    Photo0146.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Photo0147.jpg
    Photo0147.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 7

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

sounds like you are moving along....looking forward to the video!

jetskier16

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I hope I can get movin again like you soon.

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Woody- Looking good! I haven't been around in a while but she looks good upside down:eek:

Keep up the good work and get use to that orbital sander- it'll save you a bunch of time sanding that keel!

tistore

Banned

I bought her in December for $250.00 As you can see I don't know how to set the date on my camera, and yes my VCR is Flashing 12:00!!!!
15' Lonestar "Flamingo"

picture.php

Been following Archbuilder and Micks110 alot as well as OOPs and BOB VT. FANTASTIC stuff. I have a lot of woodworking experience and "Mr. Fixit" mentality. Have posted a few comments here and there as I felt I had knowledge to help out. Have done some fiberglass fabrication in the past. Owned a few boats in my past. But never tried to restore one. At 60 yrs old been a little apprehensive about getting in over my head but what the heck, I decided to do it anyway. I KNOW you guys will pitch in WHEN I need it and I KNOW I WILL need it. This forum and you guys have inspired me to make the attempt. Been waiting for the weather to get warmer and it has, Soooooooooooo here goes.

40 HP Evinrude LARK (Came with 3 Solid Brass Props)

picture.php

Selectric Pushbutton Shift. (Tested and Works Perfect)

picture.php

Keel is very rough due to "Beaching" (Not a very good attempt at patching by the PO. I can fix that!!)

picture.php

Boat is complete with all working guages and minimal pitting on the chrome. (The Old Depth finder has GOT TO GO! The CB Radio Too!!!!)

picture.php

Windshield is relatively clear and a good buffing should bring her back to near perfect.

Seats are pretty much shot! Frames are good so upholstery shop should be able to bring em back to life. Cost estimate for both is about $400.00

picture.php

Floor has NO soft spots. Random drilling on transom yielded "Dry Wood" at all points. Boat was always stored inside, Never had carpet. Nothing to hold water on the deck sooooo.... I think I have a winner. Not sure this "Old Man" could do all that Micks110 did to his 62' Traveler with the complete tear out and replacement of stringers and transom. Great Job Micks. You too Arch!!

Will strip all the "Jewelry" of of her this weekend, clean out the inside, give her a bath and start filling and wet sanding in preparation for primer and paint.

More pics to follow on PhotoBucket. Hope you guys will stick with me as I struggle along.

i have a stainless steel fuel tank that will fit right in there came out of a 66 lonestar it's on ebay